Dog Or Cat?

Discussion in Pets started by Nero-Bianco • Jun 8, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Well said, I don't know if I can add to much more to that comment, my cat is very cheap, they can take care of themselves almost. Although my dogs are extremely active near me, my 2 cats act like they are not, but when I'm not around, they go crazy.

They can sleep any where, I caught them on top of the refrigerator quite a few times sleeping.

2. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    Generally, a dog will be more expensive than a cat of the same gender (male dog vs male cat and vice-versa) simply because dogs generally cost more to adopt/purchase and require more food and veterinarian care over the course of their lifetime. However, I have owned both dogs and cats my entire life and, when accounting for the cost of cat litter and liners, the difference was only about $100/year between the cost of owning a dog and owning a cat. The place where there is a big financial difference is if you take numerous weekend trips over the course of a year. In that case, the savings become much more pronounced as a dog will have to be boarded or be watched by a petsitter while you are away, while cats will be able to fend for themselves as long as enough food and water is available.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cats are cheaper to raise because their food consumption isn't as high as dogs. They're limited to fish (which is a lot cheaper to buy than meat products) and cat food (which doesn't cost as much as dog food if you buy wholesale). Dogs, due to their size, consume more soap or shampoo. When they get sick, you consume more medicine than when you try to treat a cat.

4. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    I think both are expensive,and because I can't stand either of them,I would rather have a baby or keep a cow which comes with benefits.Av seen how costly it is to maintain a dog,but if I were asked to choose between the two, I would choose a dog and make sure it stays out of my house.

5. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It should be that maintaining a cat's good health and wellbeing is cheaper than a dog but this is not always the case.

I have had both cats and dogs and now just have my two dogs. Say for example that you have a cat who (God forbid) is always sick and needs a lot of veterinary care, compared to a small dog (chihuahua for example) who is extremely healthy.

Some vets will charge less for cats for medical care and operations may cost more on a dog. Between a cat and small dog's eating habits however, they may eat relatively the same amount, but dog treats and food can be more expensive.

Pets don't really cost too much to keep, and the difference is only recognised by the pet owner and how much they want to spend on them.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think having either is equally expensive. Both pets require medical services and food, not to mention their toys and other items they need. I have an aunt that owns 3 cats and 3 dogs and she told me she finds buying both equal amount of things.

7. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have raised cats as well as dogs and I have experience with both of these animals. These days I don't have cats, but only a dog. In my experience, cats are not only easy to raise,but they are also away lot cheaper than the dogs. Since cat grooms themselves, you don't have to bathe them, on the other hand you have to spend money on soap for dogs.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have kept both cats and a dog as pets. I can definitely say that dogs are more expensive to maintain.

Their food solely cost way more than cat's food. The fact that they need medicated baths, extra care for their vaccinations and fuel for leisure purpose all makes them more expensive pets than cats.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    In my experience, dogs eat a lot more, their foods costs more, they require more cleaning, if you want them to live outside, you need a dog house for that, they require walks and a lot more physical activity. A cat eats less, you can easily keep them at your house, and they don't require much activity. Then can basically just sit around the house and not mind it. Cheaper and easier to care for. Cats.

10. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    I believe that cats have always been the cheaper option, and easier to maintain as well. The only exception, though, would be that of puppies or very small dogs which do not grow past their current size. Research. Explore. Try it out. Go to a pet shop. They can answer questions......

11. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I think cats are way cheaper than dogs, Well just my point of view though, I have an adopted stray cat and a dog and When it comes to food, my dog always eats a lot compared to my cat. And aside from that, a cat in my opinion needs less medical attention compared to dogs.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't actually spend money buying cat, I don't fancy having a cat as a pet and for that reason I actually don't know much about them concerning purchase of one. I would think that prices of dogs should be more expensive. I don't really think many people cherish cats as much as they cherish having dogs.