Doggie Eye Drops

Discussion in Pets started by janemariesayed • Jan 15, 2017.

1. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    What are the best over the counter eye drops for dogs? I was using maxitrol given to me by the vet but wondered if I could get anything cheaper or more natural. My dog just gets runny eyes when I take her out and the vet tells me she suffers from dry eye.

I get dry eye too, mainly my right eye which produces tears when I go out in the cold. My Loopyloo has the same problem and I wondered if maxitrol was actually safe and the right thing to use? I use witch hazel eye drops in my own eye but I don't know what is safe for dogs? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot imagine having to try to put these in my dog. He would be so squirmy and I would end up wasting the whole bottle before even getting one on, and that said, it would be an expensive treatment.

3. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Maxitrol contain a corticosteroid and an antibiotic, so the veterinarian is not just prescribing something to deal with normal dry eye. I would not suggest trying to replace it with some random product that also goes into eyes. Next time you are at the vet ask specifically what the drops need to complain and what cheaper products, if any, are substitutable.

Animal medicine is just like human medicine, products are prescribed for very particular reasons. So you need to understand the diagnosis to know what treatment is needed and what the real options are. For example if your dog really needs the antibiotic and you replace the Maxitol with a simple anti-inflammatory then your dog may get an infection that could be painful or damage their sight.

4. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    The vet gave me Isathal, I've been giving her a drop twice a day. She has to go back for a check up next week. I don't think it is clearing up but I will see what the vet decides. He may end up changing her drops or giving her an antibiotic. (The dog we are talking about here is the one in my avatar. Her name is Loopy-Lu.