Dollar General, Dollar Tree Or Family Dollar

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Ke Gordon • Aug 17, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which of these discounters do you prefer? I have heard that Dollar Tree is merging with one or both of those stores, but so far I don't really see it. They are still carrying separate products. I would have to say of the 3, I really like Dollar Tree the best, because everything really is a 1.00 there unlike the other two stores. Dollar General has better prices on its own brand, but in general their food items are cheaper at the grocery store. Family Dollar may have less expensive products, but most of them are low quality.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My personal preference is Dollar Tree. The employees are almost always helpful and polite, the stores are clean, organized and uncluttered, I find great deals, and everything is a dollar. I feel that any store with $.99c or dollar in the name should be that exact price, minus taxes, of course. I love that at Dollar Tree I can stuff my cart full, and when I want to know the total, I simply count the items. I don't like the unpleasant surprises at the other 'dollar' stores, when I find the cost of items in my cart has skyrocketed because I've forgotten that items at those stores are sometimes 10 or more times what I am expecting to pay.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer Dollar Tree because most items are good quality and I know how much everything is. Family Dollar is okay (I hear Dollar Tree bought it out, but it should help bring prices down) but is very hot and miss. Some items are okay and some aren't worth it, but it's a good place to look for items and to compare prices. I've never been to a Dollar General, but I can happily spend an hour or so in Dollar Tree and come out with the bulk of my needs.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    The only one that's closest to me is the Dollar Tree and I've actually had a good experience in there. It was relatively clean and everything was where it should be, plus it was easy to find just what I needed; and this was right around the holidays when it should be messy and chaotic!!

I'm going to Disneyland soon and I'm planning on going by the Dollar Tree to pick up some stuff for our trip :) Can't wait to see what I find!

5. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    I prefer Dollar Tree over Dollar General and Family Dollar. I love Dollar Tree because of their prices, everything in the store is a dollar. Sometimes I have to shop at Family Dollar because Dollar Tree doesn't always have the products or brand I need. Other than that, Dollar Tree is my number one store.

6. ShadyGiraffe

ShadyGiraffeNew Member

Threads:
    My favorite of these 3 is most definitely Dollar Tree by a long shot. As many of you have already mentioned, the best part about Dollar Tree is that everything is a dollar. I can get some quick essentials or toiletries for just a buck, and sample products before going to buy them at a department store. Of course, the quality isn't top notch, but you are paying a dollar so that is expected. I don't enjoy Family Dollar because I feel that I can find much better quality items at Target for the same price. And finally, there is no Dollar General near me so I can't form an opinion on that.

As I always say, A DOLLAR MAKE ME HOLLER! :p

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer Dollar Tree, the price is $1 for all of the items, at the Dollar General the prices will vary and often are to high for the quality of the product. Dollar General stores often look unkept and cluttered. I do not shop at Family Dollar very often maybe once every 6 months.

8. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Well my would be between Dollar General and Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree because as you said, everything is a dollar and there is a lot to choose from. They also get a lot of new stuff in all the time. Dollar General also has its selection where everything is a dollar and a lot of times they have yellow or red dot sales etc. and a lot of times you can get some really nice things for 1.00 or even less. One time I went in to dollar general when they had a blue dot sale on and actually got two outfits for my daughter and only paid a total of 1.50.

9. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have many of the others around where I live, only Dollar Tree, so I have a personal preference for it. I like it better than the other stores of its sort. It seems to maintain better standards. Some of the other stores have larger selections and more items, but the standard of the stores seem inferior. The things they have are surprisingly nice for the price.

10. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    Well that's good that you at least have the Dollar Tree there though because I agree they do have some really good items there and trust me I do go to Dollar Tree alot too, I guess you could say I am at a tie with Dollar Tree and Dollar General.:)

11. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the dollar tree. It's easy to predict what my total will be. I don't have to ask the associates for the price, which is comforting. I like how the dollar tree always brings in new random products. The best thing about the dollar tree is using coupons there. People look at you weird when you use coupons at the dollar tree.

12. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    That is true, you already know what the price will be and it makes it easier to shop. I have never used coupons there but I offen wondered if they took coupons. So if you take a coupon say like for a dollar off then you would get it free right. I need to start taking my coupons there now that I know...:):)

13. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    I absolutely love Dollar Tree! :) It's the only store I frequently go to nowadays. Even though the Dollar Tree in my city is a bit messy and disorganized at times, it still has everything I need and the staff are very lovely people. No matter what, they always have a smile on their faces. I do love the food, especially their frozen food section. Plus, who wouldn't pass up on one dollar 3 liter sodas? I used to love Family Dollar but it's just too high now. I'm glad Dollar Tree brought them out. I've been to Dollar General once and left soon after because they were too high.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been hearing similar rumors, but I really hope they don't merge the actual stores. I much prefer Dollar Tree over either of the other so-called dollar stores (they don't really qualify, in my opinion).

While you'll find a certain amount of "junk" at any discount store, Dollar Tree seems to have a lot of decent stuff as well, for the price. The others tend to have more junk, and junk that is marked up higher, if you ask me. I do use Dollar General on occasion, since there is one very close to my home, but I definitely prefer Dollar Tree overall.

15. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely have to say Dollar General. They are just very convenient. It seems like there is one on every corner now. Its a lot less hassling than going to Wal-Mart or Target. I can get in and out in a few minutes. Prices are great and they have a lot of the same products as the bigger stores.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Around here you won't get in and out. The store near me is always a mess, always short handed, and more often than not, there is a long line. Like you said though, there are quite a few of them around. Most of the other ones nearby are quite a bit better. This one is a "stone's throw" away, so it's handy, but if I'm heading out of town anyway, I'll wait and visit another location.

I definitely like their post season and post holiday sales at Dollar General though. They really mark stuff down bigtime.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say Dollar Tree is my favorite, in particular the locations that have freezers in them, because there are some great deals on plenty of frozen food items that would normally cost $3+ which you can get in there for only $1. Their frozen fries, frozen veggies, and appetizers like their potstickers and spring rolls are all fantastic. I've also recently discovered they sell 3oz packages of Feta cheese, which is a steal because a 3.5oz package normally runs about $3-$4 at our other local grocery stores.

I used to shop more at Dollar General, but their prices have been going up steadily over the past 10+ years, and many of the items they carry in their freezer sections are more expensive than what you would pay at most other grocery stores. They still have some good prices on certain items but you really need to be careful because you could easily be overpaying for other items in there and not even realizing it.

Family Dollar I probably go to the least. This is mainly because the ones near me have horrible customer service, and the cashiers are *always* getting backed up, causing me to have to wait forever to check out.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Never been a fan of Dollar Tree at all. They didn't seem to have nearly as many name brand items as either Family Dollar or Dollar General. Pretty disappointing. I rarely, if ever go there anymore. Unless a friend or family member drags me in there. I'm just not going on my own. To me, they are clearly inferior to the other dollar stores. Not even close, really.

19. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I go to Dollar Tree first because of everything being $1 but sometimes even that is misleading. For instance at my local Dollar Tree, they have a 24-pill bottle of generic benedryl for $1 but at the Dollar General, I can get 100 pills of generic benedryl for the same $1. In that same vein, Family Dollar and Dollar general SOMETIMES have better prices than other local stores but sometimes not. In some cases they're more expensive than just hitting the grocery store or Wal-Mart.

20. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The simple fact is that Dollar Tree is a better option for saving money nine or so times out of 10. You'll find actual $1 items there, and those products are often larger in quantity than other dollar stores. I don't go to the Dollar Tree, but I've found some great buys there from time to time. It's not like you'll spend too much more money at other dollar stores, but some dollar stores charge more than a dollar for certain items, which is somewhat misleading.