Dollar General, Dollar Tree Or Family Dollar

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Ke Gordon • Aug 17, 2015.

1. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I can't comment on the stores you're talking about, because they don't exist in my area, however, we do have similar stores. I've always found the stuff in them to be either more expensive than a regular store, or the quality is just not worth it. Personally, I don't see how the ones around here survive, because they're just filled with junk.

2. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M.New Member

Threads:
    The interesting thing about the Dollar Store phenomena is that they have all closed down in my area. There used to be a Dollar Tree, The Dollar Store, and a $.99 Cent Store. They were all strategically placed right next to all the Goodwill and thrift stores. Now they have all seemed to disappear, except one that is still located next to a Goodwill and I believe it is a Dollar Store.

All the Dollar stores used to have really good items when they first opened, but later on, it all seemed to be just junk that was not even worth a dollar. I think that might have led to the demise of them in my area. They just stopped selling good stuff.

I also notice dollar stores are franchise and anyone can open one. That may have also led to the demise inmy area. Low entry may have made some people believe it would be an easy business. Or the fact that everything is only a dollar, surely that would automatically bring in customers. But they didn't last that long in my area.

3. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I like all three chains, but I would have to go with Dollar Tree too. I love not spending more than a dollar on something. I will go to another store and pay more for it than I would at the Dollar Tree. My only problem with the Dollar Tree is that I will end up spending more money than I planned on spending. I always get carried away when I am in there. I love how you can get a lot for a little bit of money.

4. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    My small town has all three and about 4 Dollar Generals. We also have a Freds which is a lot bigger and a lot better quality than all three combined. I actually prefer Dollar Tree because everything is mostly a $1. I'm not sure if EVERYTHING there is a $1. The Family Dollar here in my town is super run down and not worth going to anymore. The Dollar Generals here are all rather decent. My decision would be between Dollar Tree or Dollar General even though Dollar General does generally have better quality items.

5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree for many things, especially cards, party decor, gift wrap and first aid/otc medicines.
    Dollar General for things like clothes occaisionally, decor, housewares, toiletries and cleaning supplies. I often get my dog food and treats there also.
    I rarely shop at Family Dollar. The one closest to me is closing soon and becoming a Dollar Tree.

6. bsthebenster

bsthebensterNew Member

Threads:
    I go to Doller Tree. It's closer to my home and always has a big variety of products avalible. I have cups, mugs, laundry baskets, rags, and decorations from Doller Tree. I use so much from Doller Tree that I can't remember everything I have from there. I use some cleaning supply's from Doller Tree, they are quiet effective. The Doller Tree I go to is always clean, well structured. The staff are always friendly. The customers keep to themselves. The prices are also fair, when I leave I don't feel like I've spent too much. I want to mention that some of my laundry baskets from Doller Tree have cracked, but they lasted a while.

7. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9hNew Member

Threads:
    I love Dollar Tree. The main reason is because everything is only $1. And also there store is always set up nice and clean. They have a lot of things to shop for. I even buy my sunglasses there. I'm always breaking mine so no need to spend a fortune and they are just as good.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy Dollar Tree. I just wish there was one near my house. I shop at Dollar Tree whenever I am in the area where they have one. I know of one enormous one that is as big as two of them combined, but it is about an hour from here, and I rarely go up in that direction or if I do, I don't have time to stop. I would be in there every day if it was closer.

9. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on all of your points. I do find better prices for food at the grocery store than Dollar General sometimes. I also think that Family Dollar could work on their quality control sometimes. I hope the transition does happen for them, but I'm not sure if I see it just yet, and it's been in the talks for a while, so I guess we'll see.

10. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    Out of the three, Dollar Tree probably has the best deals on a regular basis, especially if you have one of the bigger Dollar Tree stores in your area.

My personal preference is still Dollar General, though. They have a lot more items than Dollar Tree does, and I've been following Dollar General's seasonal sales for a couple of years now, and you can definitely get some great products at rock bottom prices if you know exactly when to shop for certain things.

11. KLovely19

KLovely19New Member

Threads:
    Definitely Dollar Tree for me. Everything is actually a dollar! Unlike Family Dollar where not everything is a dollar, sometimes more than $10. The store is always cluttered(at least in my area) And the workers always give me attitudes, like they don't want to be there. At Dollar Tree, everyone is nice and polite and the store is always neat.

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar General is my favorite out of those 3 but only because of the penny shopping. Before I started penny shopping I hadn't stepped foot in a Dollar General for years. They also have good clearance sales pretty frequently. Dollar Tree is my next one. No matter how poor you are, you're always rich at the Dollar Tree. Plus they are getting better and better on the quality and brands of their items. I don't really shop at the Family dollar. I check it out when they have clearance sales but otherwise stay away from it. Their stores are always trashed and have super rude employees, even in the nice neighborhoods. The last time I went I almost stepped on a used condom in the parking lot, eeeewwwwww!!!!

13. Jamie Hensley

Jamie HensleyNew Member

Threads:
    I've always loved Family Dollar. It doesn't matter what city or state I'm in, they have one. I really like the variety of product, and the stores have always been clean, organized, and prices well marked. I literally do a search in the city I'm going to, so I know where to go if I have forgotten anything. It's a comfort thing for me.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not the biggest fan of dollar stores, but I had more luck with Dollar General, just because of the variety of the items there. I bought makeup and kitchen items that were quite good quality. And the makeup items were good known brands like Revlon and Rimmel. However I don’t buy makeup nearly ever on places like this because I’m always scared they will be close to their expiry date or damaged somehow.