Dollar General or Family Dollar

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Emmas_Nana • Jun 4, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was actually surprised to see some decent decorative home accessories at Family Dollar, like an imitation IKEA end table and some Asian wall art. They even had a cute little wine rack. I think someone just starting out that doesn't have a lot of stuff could find some good things at Family Dollar if they are selective and have a good eye.

2. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I only have access to Family Dollar where I live but I like it. The check out is usually slow but they are usually friendly in the store. I like their cheap prices and always stop there to get my hygiene and bathroom products and detergents. I definitely save some dollars so it's worth it to make the extra stop on the way home.

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    We don't have any of these places in my neck of the woods. We have a bunch of dollar stores that are run my mostly African, Latino, or Muslim people. They don't really have like "names". They just have "Dollar Store" or "99 Cents" atop the banner. It doesn't matter to me who runs the stores though. Just so as long as their prices for the expected items are in line with what the sign says.:cool:

4. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather Dollar General because they have a better selection, and more name brands than the Family Dollar in my area. I don't really go to either of them often because I prefer just going to Walmart. Sometimes i'll even shop in the dollar spot at Target. Right now, the dollar stores in my area seem to be raising their prices. It has gotten to the point where the things at the dollar stores aren't that much cheaper than Walmart.

5. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I shop at Dollar General a lot and apart from one incident where a cashier was talking on her cellphone for a good ten minutes while I waited in line, I've never had a complaint about them. I don't think I've ever been to Family Dollar so I can't give you an accurate opinion of them but Dollar General is one of my favorite stores.

6. kayhill

kayhillNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer Dollar General. In my city you can find a Family Dollar on almost every corner and the lines are always long. It seems they have a rule with only having one register open at a time. Dollar General has nicer home decor section so if you wanted to update a room on a budget, they have some nice window treatments and rugs. The staff at my local Family Dollar stores are rude and most do not seem to know what is in stock in the store!

7. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Well my Dollar General is very clean, while my Family Dollar is not. But I think Family Dollar has more of a variety of things than Dollar General. I shop at both of them though especially when one doesn't have what I need. Since both stores in my town, are next door to each other.

8. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I like shopping both places. I sometimes find some things that are a little cheaper at Family Dollar and then again sometimes I find stuff that is cheaper at Dollar General, I like them both.

9. clay1224

clay1224Banned

Threads:
    Dollar General is much better! Plus they have better prices.

10. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Well I kinda of like going to the both of them, I always find something good at both stores, sometimes I find what I want at dollar general and not family dollar or sometimes I find what I want at family dollar and not dollar general, it all works out. I do have to say though, that at the two stores I go to , family dollar and dollar general, some of their cashiers or store employees, are very rude and lazy. They keep the store so unorganized and dirty.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Well, Dollar General has a lot of things that are actually $1. I suppose have good deals on every day things, but I can't really think of any way in which one is particularly better than the other. They both have their merits when you're on a tight budget.

12. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I like Dollar Tree, my only complaint is the one closest to home, never have more than one cashier working at a time so the wait to pay for your items can be pretty long when its busy. While searching for fundraising ideas for My Animal rescue, i did find this interesting site, if anyone has or is involved with non profit groups this may be useful

13. alreenaw

alreenawMember

Threads:
    I prefer Family Dollar over Dollar General, but that's only because the Family Dollar is closer and newer. I've never had any issues with Dollar General and will shop at either. It's just more convenient to go to Family Dollar. I really don't shop at either that much, but sometimes when you have to run out of the house real quick for something, it's there.

14. kisseru

kisseruNew Member

Threads:
    I choose Dollar General since the last time I went there, I got a tub of Blue Bell ice cream (that stuff is oh so yummy!) The junk food I had to eat while going in a car ride was just lovely. They had spoons and Arizona Ice Teas for sale, it was just a blast for me and my cousins. I think the wide selections of junk food in Dollar General made me pick it... I wonder if Family Dollar has Blue Bell ice cream, guess I will have to check in my future trips to Louisiana!

15. Joyce aka Nana

Joyce aka NanaNew Member

Threads:
    I guess I like them about the same. I usually go to Dollar General because it is closer. I haven't had any problems with the staff of either except they don't want to stop their chit-chatting to ring me up sometimes. LOL....that is kind of a pet peeve of mine because the main reason I go to either is to get in and out quickly. But the staff are not mean or hateful, they are very friendly. I guess I have to go with a tie....at least here in our town.

16. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I like Dollar General a lot more. Family Dollar used to be all over the place but around here, it's rare to see them nowadays. Dollar General on the other hand, they're plastered everywhere. I liked Building 19 a lot, it wasn't a dollar store but similar in ways I guess. They all have their positives and negatives!

17. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I can't speak for anyone but myself here, but over here, Family Dollar seems to be better because for me, they have more of the brands I usually like. Dollar General is good too. But with Family Dollar being closer and having more of what I like, Dollar General normally takes a backseat to it.

18. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree Family Dollar is a lot better and has better things for cheaper prices. I never realized how expensive Dollar General really is until i went to go get some outfits for my kids and for one outfit was 12 and i went to walmart and found a dora outfit for my daughter almost the same one at dollar general and it was only 6 dollars so yes i agree family dollar is a lot better.

19. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I truly love them both, for different reasons. But if I had to choose one over the other, I would have to say Dollar General. Best thing there is baby wipes for .97..... One of my favorite purchases there.

20. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see a big difference between Family Dollar and Dollar General. If I had to pick I would go with Family Dollar because that is the one that is closest to my house so I shop there from time to time. I like the Dollar Tree too, they have great stuff in there sometimes.