Dollar General or Family Dollar

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Emmas_Nana • Jun 4, 2012.

1. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    Once again, Gillette and Dollar General have teamed up to create an exclusive ... Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer With Sunscreen; $20 Dollar General Gift Card.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I wish I had a Dollar General near me or a Family Dollar. I always see coupons for both stores on blogs. I only have a Dollar Tree near me, but it isn't that big. I do like their decor and holiday items. I used to go a lot, but haven't been in ages. I will probably be back to buy some Christmas cookie tins and gift wrap.

3. Kathy1112

Kathy1112New Member

Threads:
    I like the Dollar General better than the Family Dollar. I shop with them when I don't feel like walking all over Walmart. They also have some special off brand items that I like better than the name brands. Someone stated that their cleaning supplies were cheaper and better than big brands, I find this to be true also. Mean Green products from Dollar General work well for just about all kinds of cleaning tasks.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar General just seems better to me. I went to a local Family Dollar and their inventory looked pretty bad. Then you have the horrible customer service and occasional water spots throughout the store.

The name Dollar General seems more favorable also.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree family dollar is a lot cheaper than dollar general. And family dollar has a lot better selection when it comes to toys for the kids. Dollar general doesn't have too many great toys for kids and the ones they do have are way too much and not worth the price.

6. Vicvillon

VicvillonNew Member

Threads:
    I think I prefer Family Dollar. At least between the two that I have nearby, the Family Dollar nearby has MUCH better service. The quantity of items is generally higher over at the Family Dollar, as well. I've gotten better deals there too. In my opinion, I also prefer the aesthetics in general of the place, but that probably isn't too much of a valid opinion. :p

7. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    Exactly the opposite, but for good reason. We have two Dollar General's in our area and one Family Dollar. The Family Dollar is a disorganized mess with bad management and worse employees, so the store is never in good order. Even if it was, it's set up in a way to make it difficult to find anything. Of our two Dollar General's one is newer (built in the last few years) and has the traditional lay out of all new Dollar General's, which makes it super simple to navigate and get in and out of. It's also clean!!

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think we have either of those here.. but then, there are a million versions of a dollar store now, I'd have no idea.

9. KellyValentine

KellyValentineNew Member

Threads:
    I've been shopping at Family Dollar for quite some time. The one in my neighborhood is really good. They have clothing sets for babies and toddlers for $8 and $10 dollars. I also never knew that their diapers and wipes were so reliable and affordable. Family Dollar is usually my preference because it is right around the corner but they just recently built a Dollar General close by so I will see if there is anything I would prefer to purchase from there.

10. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I'm going to he honest, I can't tell the difference. I don't even pay attention to teh name when I walk in, I just know that it is a dollar store. I f I shopped there frequently I would probably start noticing the differences in price.

11. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I would go with Family Dollar, personally but it is not by a long shot. I mean I like both of them evenly. I would not choose either over the other, because they are so similar.

12. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there are any Dollar General's in my area. I do love Dollar Tree though! Every last thing is a dollar if not less. There are Family Dollar's out here but majority of things are well over a dollar. My vote is definitely for Dollar Tree! (They also have an online store too!!)

13. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually go to either one because I feel like neither one has much of a selection compared to other stores. When I do go, I go to dollar General. It is close to me, so convenient.

14. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I know this is an old thread, but I love dollar stores and would like to get it started back up again! I do like shopping at Dollar General, but overall I would say that Family Dollar is a better option. I love their selection of home decor. They also have good deals on tank tops and stuff.

15. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    I prefer Dollar General. The only Family Dollar I have ever been to was in the ghetto, so it probably wasn't a good example for all Family Dollars.

16. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I would much rather shop at Family Dollar mainly because where I live there are more Family Dollar's than Dollar General's. I think we have about 4 Family Dollar's and only 1 Dollar General. The Dollar General that we do have is pretty good, but it doesn't have a variety of items as Family Dollar especially at the prices that they have it. Sometimes I am surprised at the things that I find at Family Dollar like the home décor is really pretty. Especially when the holidays come around they have some really cute items.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't want to judge either franchise by their individual branches.

I've been to three FAMILY DOLLARs, which all seemed brighter & better organized than the one DOLLAR GENERAL I've been to, whose employees were rather helpful (tho they seemed overstocked ... I don't suppose it helps to have a

right across the street-corner)

And yes, BUY FOR LE$$ stole me away from both of them because neither the FAMILY DOLLARs nor the DOLLAR GENERAL sell fresh fruits-&-vegetables ... which I understand take too many man-hours to handle (unless you've got money to employ the needed people).

18. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of Family Dollar. I really prefer Dollar General because the only time I ever went to a Family Dollar it was in the hood and trust me, that was not a good experience.

19. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use to shop at both. I like Family Dollar more for clothes. I feel like they had a better selection when it came to clothing. I got the cutest pair of pants there. I loved them they were white with black pink "graffiti" on them. But I shopped most at Dollar General for everything else. So, I have to pick Dollar General. I bought everything there. Snacks, drinks, cleaning supplies, school supplies, toys, make up, hair scrunchies. They had some decent quality stuff.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed the prices have gone up on a lot of items at Dollar General over the years. About 12 years ago when I first moved out on my own I would shop at Dollar General all the time, since money was tight. Many of the items in there that I would get really cheap such as soda or cleaning supplies or kitchen stuff have all gone up, and cost almost as much as the department stores, if not just as expensive. Plus the quality of their store brand merchandise hasn't really improved even though their prices went up - their cleaning stuff is all watered down and doesn't work as well, for example.

Some of the Dollar Generals in our area though have remodeled into larger stores - I forget what they call them now, but they are basically like a "super" Dollar General, with all kinds of aisles of refrigerated and frozen foods, as well as fresh produce and dairy. It's sort of like a small scale version of Wal-Marts food section. The prices aren't really good though, particularly with their food.

Family Dollar I'm rather neutral on. They have decent prices, but most of the time when I go there, the cashiers are so painfully slow, I end up waiting in lines forever.