Dollar General Store Seasonal Sales

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SEA81 • May 23, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I just wanted to point that your local Dollar General Store is a great place to go after seasons (end of summer, after Christmas, Halloween, Easter, etc.). They mark the stuff down really cheap, down to 90% off if there is enough leftover. You may not always find stuff you need, but I know I've gotten Christmas cards, bags of almonds, cans of pumpkin, ornaments, gift bags, gift tags, wrapping paper, and so much more for 10 cents a piece.

2. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    Yes it a great place to get seasonal items on huge discounts.I do it all the time. That is true of all stores though.

3. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have done this before in the past. In fact my Christmas tree came from a sale like this. It was a 200 dollar tree and ended up costing me like 20 bucks! Came in the box still brand new!

4. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    Yes, my mother works part time at DG and she always gets seasonal stuff at the end of the season. Bags of candy for $.10, Christmas bags, cards, wrap, etc for $.25. They gradually mark the items down until they get to that price though. Best way to get stuff for the next season and if you can't get a good deal with the markdowns, you can always go to Dollar Tree where everything is $1! LOL!

5. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    My local dollar general just took their Easter merchandise off the clearance racks. I purchased all the Easter stuff we need for next year, for all six kids, except candy of course, for $2.10.

Even when they are not doing seasonal clearance, they always have a clearance shelf. Which I can almost alway find a few things I want or need for around $1-2.

6. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like nearly any store is the best after a holiday, but I really love the dollar store. I usually go there and buy everything for a dollar to a few cents and save it till next year. Not like candy or anything, but baskets, cards, tins, candles, decor. It saves me money and the time next year. I have a closet full of stuff that I'll eventually use. But I like having it in case I forget something, not to mention I've had friends forget to send people cards or run out of wrapping paper and I've been able to just hand them stuff.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One Halloween I got a bunch of bags of candy for 10 cents each at Family Dollar that were on post-holiday clearance. They weren't for next Halloween. I just really like candy.
    I've gotten a huge Christmas tree that would normally be expensive for $25 at one of those sales.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have never seen sales like this one at any of my dollar general stores. The best sales I have ever seen were 30% off and it never looked like they discounted further because I would sometimes see Halloween candy left over from the spring. I will have to keep my eyes open for these because I can never have enough seasonal extras.

9. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I love their seasonal sales. My favorite sales are the after Easter, Halloween and Christmas sales. They also have great deals on books when they mark them down. I have picked up brand new books, some even in plastic wrapping, from .25 to .75.

10. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    I never really shopped ay dollar general. I have been in the maybe 2 times and thought that some of their prices on the stuff I was looking for was expensive. I was disappointed. But I will visit this store after Christmas maybe to see what they have left over. But I prefer to go to family dollar. They have good prices and a big variety of stuff. I buy a lot of gift and home decor there. Its great.

11. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    This is useful information. I usually try to hit CVS or Walgreens after holidays for discount candy. It seems like they sell out before the holiday even arrives. I had never considered Dollar General before. Now, I will be sure to visit so I can buy seasonal items for next year when my son can begin to enjoy holidays.

12. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    They always do!!! At the beginning of summer I always see all the things I want and tell myself I can wait. It is for sure worth the wait though. Plus you can buy multiple of things because sometimes those things break pretty easy. It is awesome to get gifts for people who love certain items too. Super planning for gifts for Christmas or the next Christmas also works because of something marked down. I for sure need to start stocking up on more wrapping paper after Christmas. That seems to be the one thing I always run out of.

13. PlainVanilla

PlainVanillaNew Member

Threads:
    I worked for DG for the last 4 years. The end of season discounts aren't as good as say, Walmarts, but then again you don't have as long of lines and there's a better chance of getting the name brand stuff at DG. Walmarts usually sell out of those things before the holiday is over. Also, Dollar General does not put Christmas lighting or wrapping paper on discount at most stores--it ends up in storage in the back room for the next year. My store also put their leftover trees in there too.

If your store doesn't have any charcoal or other grilling supplies year round but you still want to tailgate or just grill out in midwinter, then ask an associate to see if there's anything in back since that's where it also goes at the end of summer. Just do yourself a favor and find out what days your store gets its truck and then ask the day before. The two or three days after are usually hectic and the backroom is crammed with product so they might not be able to get to leftover seasonal items.

14. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'll have to swing by there and see if they have any halloween candy on sale. I think this would be a good time to check as stores usually have some pretty steep discounts on candy this time of the year. It may have already been bought up, though. We'll just have to see.

15. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    So I was not a fan of Dollar General at first but I started shopping there beginning of November for my sisters birthday stuff loved their selection of items. I went back a week later to start my Christmas shopping Not to big of a selection on their toys but I was still able to get a lot of things for Christmas. Hope that they get more toys in December. I do love when they have there sales I just recently went to the sale were it was 50% off their clearance items and not just left over holiday stuff there was clothes and many other items there to select from. They always give out the 5$ of your next 30$ purchase on a specific Saturday. Comes in handy. I also got alot of Halloween item. everything that was a 1$ went down to 3 cents and so on so I have a few items put up for next Halloween but not the candy I chose to eat the candy lol. But overall I think that Dollar General is a good store.

16. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I also shop at the 'Dollar' stores after certain holidays. I try to think outside the box, like whose birthday is approaching. I found a lot of savings on out of season clothing with an additional discount. It doesn't happen a lot but at the time - it's a bargain when I do. I also check out the DVDs especially for children they make for great birthday gifts.

17. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I love Dollar General best among all of the dollar stores. It is the only dollar store where I have purchased name brand food items. It is the only dollar store that I have purchased name brand office supplies. I love their choice of socks, stockings, winter gloves, and garden supplies.
    Dollar General is better than Dollar Tree of Family Dollar. I enjoy shopping at those as well. I just don't love them as much as Dollar General.

18. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually shop at them because I like quality material but I have visited them before. I have bought some candy or small party favors packages there. I won't go there for clothing or electronics or food products though. They are good places to browse and waste time. Sometimes you find something worth a grab.