Dollar Tree Takeover Family Dollar

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MrsJones • Jan 29, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I read an article yesterday online that the Dollar Tree taking over Family Dollar stores.
    I was really surprised when I came across this article. Dollar Tree must really be bringing in more bucks than Family Dollar. I shop at both but Family Dollar more. I wonder what changes are going to take place.

NEW YORK (AP) — The battle over dollar stores is nearly over. Family Dollar shareholders voted on Thursday to approve a takeover bid by rival Dollar Tree, despite higher competing offers from Dollar General.

The deal with Dollar Tree still needs to be approved by the Federal Trade Commission, but Family Dollar expects it to close by March.

Dollar Tree first offered to buy Matthews, North Carolina-based Family Dollar in July for about $8.5 billion. Dollar General offered higher bids that were repeatedly rejected. Dollar General's pursuit of Family Dollar is now likely finished. It said in a statement that the vote was a loss for Family Dollar shareholders and shoppers, who would have benefited from lower prices in its stores.

"Family Dollar's lack of engagement and a contracted transaction timeline ultimately prevented us from completing this transaction," said Dollar General's CEO Rick Dreiling.

Dollar General's most recent bid for Family Dollar was about $9.1 billion. Family Dollar said it rejected Dollar General's bids because it expected that it would be harder to get regulatory approval for the deal even though Dollar General was willing to sell as many as 1,500 stores.

A combination of Family Dollar and Chesapeake, Virginia-based Dollar Tree will create the largest dollar store company in the nation, with more than 13,000 stores. Dollar General, based in Goodlettsville, Tennessee, has more than 11,000 stores.

Shares of all three companies rose Thursday. Family Dollar Stores Inc. added 89 cents, or 1.2 percent, to close at $76.44. Dollar Tree Inc. rose $2.44, or 3.6 percent, to close at $70.25. Dollar General Corp. rose $2.56, or 3.8 percent, to close at $69.77.

Copyright 2015 The

. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw an Undercover Boss episode with Family Dollar and they were struggling. I do like the store, but do prefer Dollar Tree as you don't have to hunt around for the price and the only thing you need to decide is whether it's good quality and if you really need it. I've found Family Dollar more expensive than Dollar Tree for the same things, so maybe it will bring their prices down if it goes ahead.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Dollar Tree better than Dollar General or Family Dollar because everything at Dollar Tree literally costs a dollar so you don't have to wonder about the price. I hope Dollar Tree keeps growing because their items are a decent value for the money.

4. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I think the neat thing about Dollar Tree is that they accept manufacturer's coupons. Very few "bargain" stores do this. This makes quite a few of their items free or seriously cheap.

Family Dollar accepts coupons as well, but often times their perishable items (food, toiletries) are more expensive than $1. You end up getting a better deal by bringing your coupon to Dollar Tree.

I also love Dollar Tree's balloons- we get one for each of my girls' birthdays. As far as I can remember, Family Dollar didn't have balloons.

Money-saving and coupon blogs like Money Saving Mom and Hip2Save are also very quick to jump on the Dollar Tree bandwagon. I can't remember the last time I saw them show a deal with Family Dollar.

5. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    That's sounds very likely. Family dollar is not as popular as it once was. I remember when Family dollar was around before the dollar stores, but overall there products are not much better in quality yet they charge more than a dollar, plus I don't like there costumer service, so it might be a good thing for Dollar tree to take over.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The merchandise stocked between the two stores are similar and then not so like, clothing and shoes at Family Dollar and party balloons at Dollar Tree. I wonder how much both are going to change, if at all.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know news of this take over was quite some time ago, but I don't see influence of the Dollar Tree in Family Dollar. They don't even have a dollar section. I do go to Family Dollar sometimes though because they have good prices on certain items, like compressed air spray for the computer, cat food and litter for a dollar...and some of their kitchen and clothing items. Not the best quality, but I don't have a lot of money to spend at this time.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I shop at both Dollar Tree and Family Dollar. I prefer Dollar Tree because everything is priced for $1, however Family Dollar does offer a wider selection of merchandise. I wonder if everything at the newly owned Family Dollar will still vary in price? I wonder if the merchandise that Family Dollar sells will change as a result of the new ownership? It will be interesting to see what changes will be made to Family Dollar, if any.

9. Glcameron

GlcameronNew Member

Threads:
    :) I love it! I'm in Chesapeake and I have a friend who works at the Dollar Tree headquarters who has been hinting at this for months. Good for them. Dollar Tree has such a fresh approach to products I love it.

10. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    Does anybody know when this is supposed to take place? I think it will lower a few of the prices at Family Dollar because then they can have the same distributors, but for the things that aren't at Dollar Tree, I think those prices will stay the same. I think it might be a big mess when they first try to get it all together because that's the way it usually goes with change, but eventually, it's going to be a really good thing. I just hope they keep Dollar Tree, Dollar Tree, that's all. No need to make changes there.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't shop at Family Dollar very often, because the cashiers at the ones near me are always incredibly slow. There is constantly a long line at their registers, even when the store isn't actually all that busy with shoppers. There have been times where I walked in there, and saw a long line of people waiting to check out, and I just simply turned around and left, because I knew I would be standing there for a good 30 minutes or so waiting to get rang up. The management really needs to emphasize to their employees that they need to have some sense of urgency and be considerate of everyone else's time, instead of being all slow and lethargic and taking their good old time to ring everyone up.

Also, their prices are a mixed bag - some items are cheap while others are way overpriced, particularly any big brand stuff they sell. It's sort of like a combination of overpriced convenience store, and relatively cheap store brand stuff.

If Dollar Tree were to take over Family Dollar, hopefully they would bring the prices down on some of their over priced stuff in the process.

12. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I recently went to a Family Dollar store in my neighborhood. As usual I walked each aisle and came across a section that had items for $1 like for the kitchen and bathroom. I never noticed it before. I wonder if this is the beginning of Dollar Trees integration with Family Dollar.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I've never really been a big fan of Dollar Tree. To me, they don't seem to carry that many good products or brands. At Family Dollar, at least you can buy name brand stuff. It may cost a little bit more, but it's usually worth it. Dollar Tree's must be pretty popular though, because I see them in a lot of towns.

14. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    Dollar General was also trying to buy out Family Dollar, but Dollar Tree ended up winning that battle. They are closing a lot of stores, and they are having a huge clearance sale right now to get rid of a lot of merchandise, but otherwise I haven't seen any changes as of yet.