Don’t Buy Printer If You Don’t Need It

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Alexandoy • Sep 16, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we bought our first computer in 1993, we also bought a printer. That was intended for a small business which was pretty good. For our next computers, no more printer since we don’t have a business anymore. Even now, we go to the cyber shop when we need to print something. A page or 2 costs coins only. A printer is expensive and maintaining it involves money. Even the ink is not a guarantee that it can save you money. So unless you are regularly printing by the hundreds of pages, it would save you money and worry if you just avail of the cyber shop for your printing needs.

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am in agreement with this statement. In many instances, the computer system is presented as a package which includes the printer but many home computer buyers rarely ever use the printer, therfore, if they had opted to omit the printer from the setup, it would not have resulted in a loss to their operating capabilities and if there should come a time on probably some rare occasion when they may need to print a document there are always facilities around where they are able to have it printed at a very minimal cost.

3. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    It does make sense completely. Maintaining a printer and keeping it in good condition is more expensive especially when you do not need to use it on a daily basis. I have been thinking of getting a printer for our home but have been resisting it. My husband actually needs a printer frequently but he gets the prints close by at quite lower prices. The only reason why I am not getting one is becuase of my son who will put it to really 'good use' once we get it. ;)So we have decided to wait for some more time.

4. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Surely that's how it should go. If one has more usage of printer then only they should go for it. And even without usage one buy printer then that printer will just be there without any use and it may get problems. I mean if we don't use electronic items more then it may get problem that's what I have noticed. So yes better we save money as we can always go for cyber cafe for small work of printing.

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We also never bought any printer, only a PC. We just go to the internet cafe to have our documents printed and it only costs P5 per black and white page. Printers are not worth it if you will just occasionally use it.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got my first laptop on sale last year and love it. I print very rarely, so I didn't get a printer even if it was going for just $20-$60. I calculated the papers, maintenance, ink and didn't know how I was going to carry it on the bus, so I just didn't buy it. Now after reading you posts I'm glad I didn't buy myself a printer. I saved money by not getting a printer after all. I go to my local library, when I need anything to be printed. At the library it costs only .15 a page.

7. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    This was the thing every computer owner who does not use it for business purposes should understand. Buying a computer and a printer when there is no need for the printer is absolutely a waste of money. I own a laptop, but not a printer simply because that I'm not into business and whenever I want to print any hardcopy, I go to the cyber to do it.

8. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    You make fairly good points about not needing a printer but there is always that off chance we may need to print something immediately and may not have the proper resources to aid us in time. I think there are times a printer can be handy, even if you don't use it often. That being said, I am not saying go out and buy the newest printer out there at a high price, but a decent one on sale maybe somewhere online, just in case. Though that is just me.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Lately I bought one unit of printer, Brother is the brand. It's worth Php10,000.00 ($20). It's for our youngest daughter's printing needs of her documents and paper works for she's a mobile teacher of adult and out-of-school youths.

I would tell her to use it as often as possible. It's the ink is cheap compared to ink in cartridges. The inks are liquids and once they're running out they could be easily refilled.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    You are right Alexandoy, I have bought a printer for my son and it is very expensive to use it because the ink is expensive. I would not use it too much but my son needs the printer for school projects and homeworks.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the printer from the office these days don't need much printing. As the paper related work is now minimized. And things can be a bit less important on printing side if there is not much required. Another thing is that printing in rare case if required you can go to nearby places and get things printed. That always works out for many business and even professionals.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I certainly agree with this one, but at the same time there are those times when I wish that I had one here for convenience. It is nice to be able to just print everything at work if I need to, though.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If you're a student with a student identification then heading to the library is a very good idea because they usually let you print any black and white paper you need for no charge. I think they can cost less that a cyber as well even for ordinary people that just want to print something.

I used to have a printer and when the ink ran out, we never used it again because the ink was too expensive and choosing the right ink was too difficult. Some people recommended one brand while others recommended another. We just ended up selling it and we just go to the library or cyber whenever we need to print something.

14. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    True. It is a waste of money to buy something that will just be useless in the long run. That also applicable for everything. We sometimes think ahead and assuming that we might need them in them. I may need a printer because I still have a student and she is now complaining about projects.

15. Meeseeks

MeeseeksMember

Threads:
    Is print shop not a thing there? If that's the case maybe I'm lucky cause right where I live you can literally find print shops that can help you with your tasks right when you need them. Why buy a printer if you can just pay for what you need?

16. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    There is a thing with electronics gadgets, if you are not constantly using it all the time, there is every tendency that it would develop fault over time for staying a longer period of time without being used.

Most times, I ask why buy something that you sparsely use? It's not a wise spending decision because should that gadget stay too long without being used, it gets faulty and you end up repairing it with another money, and that is creating all together another expenses for yourself.

17. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Why would you buy something if you don't need it? I mean this isn't just true for printers but for other things as well. I bought myself a 3-in-one printer that serves as a scanner, photocopier, and printer and it's been very useful and convenient, specially because I can only attend to personal stuff in the evening and have no time to go to shops during the day. I was able to use it to scan tons of family pictures and important documents which allowed us to keep digital copies of old files and photographs. The price was all worth it as scanning is quite costly at local shops besides not being the best place to keep things private.

Monochrome printers aren't too expensive either ($20) and the sample ink is good enough for printing 1,000+ documents as I've proven with my Brother printer. With that output, you can easily recoup the cost of the printer and save yourself the hassle of going to a cybershop to print. My Brother printer, by the way, was a freebie when I bought my laptop.