Don't Buy Expensive Hdmi Cables!

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by BrandonScooterman • Mar 19, 2016.

1. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Just in case you didn't know, when it comes to digital signals, it either works or it does not work. El Cheap HDMI cable works exactly the same as the super fancy gold plated expensive one!
    Save your money and don't get tricked into spending a lot on your multimedia connections. The signal travels exactly the same in the cheap ones as it does the expensive ones.
    The only difference really is the expensive one "may" be more durable, but the durability difference is normally never enough to justify spending $75 on something instead of $5.
    This is the same for ANY wire that carries a digital signal.

Also it holds true for many audio applications as well. There was an experiment done where one stereo was hooked up with the most expensive audio wires available, and another was hooked up with bent clothes hangers.
    Guess who could tell the difference? No one, not even supposed audiophiles!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people think when they buy something expensive they are getting the better deal, quality product.

For those who aren't sure which cheap HDMI cables they should buy or where they'll get them try Amazon basics. You could get high speed HDMI cables for $4.99.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree! I have spent $3 on HDMI cables from Amazon and they work just like the gold plated ones I got from my sister. She bought them from Radio Shack for $30 and mine work just as well. The audio quality is superb as well.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    What about the ones you can buy at the Dollar store? Here in the UK, I'm sure I've seen them on sale for £1 in Poundland. Would they be just as good? There are some cases where buying expensive is the better option (running shoes is the first example that jumps out at me).

5. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    My partner bought one out of Poundland and it didn't last two seconds so I would say no, don't go for cheap, cheap ones.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When I first came across this I saw it in a forum and I thought it was a joke post and eventually many others did confirm that these expensive HDMI cables really did exist. The poster even took pictures of the accompanying text in the box that tried to hype up the quality of the product but to the members who were knowledgable they all just laughed. I am not that good with tech so I was a bit more on the fence regarding this but after watching a lot of videos on experts talking about this I'm convinced it's almost a scam.

7. CaptainOblivious

CaptainObliviousMember

Threads:
    Yes this is the best opinion here. Going for cheap HDMI cables is a very common suggestion on the internet but the problem is that most people think of that frail, el cheapo cable that won't last a week. The valuable point here is to not buy pointlessly expensvive HDMI cables, not to buy shamefully bad quality ones! :)

8. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, try a few cheaper ones before spending the big bucks. I don't have a "memorable" bad experience with cheap cables, but I know quite a few people who have had that experience. My trick is simple, I try a cheaper brand, and if it works out, I sort of try their other products as well. In terms of hdmi cables, its true that the signal does travel exactly the same, but durability is an issue. And durability doesn't just get better with price. So, its really about the brand and not the price.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I had sampled a cheap wireless keyboard for $5, it gave me the thinking that not all cheap items are easy to break. That keyboard is now more than a year old and the cost is already worth it. With HDMI cables, I would probably settle for the cheaper ones if the cost is lower than 50% of the genuine (or expensive) brand. Buying anything is a gamble whether original or imitation.