Don't Choose The Bargain Printer!

Discussion in Office Supplies started by troutski • Oct 5, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bargain printers are nice because they're cheap, especially if you need one for a home office. However, the lowest priced printers often come with design flaws, overpriced inks, and low quality parts. you're likely to deal with some pretty big headaches over that $30 printer compared to if you had just purchased a $100 printer to begin with. I own a $500 printer and a $40 printer. I've never had issues with the former, but the latter jams and misprints all the time.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While this is true in some cases, it's not always the case. You just have to do some research. Read reviews to see what the quality is like (you should be able to tell the difference between too good and too bad reviews and determine if the product is decent or not). Find out what kind of ink it uses before hand, and price the ink. I get what you're saying, and yes, it does happen that way. There is also a chance that you could get a very good printer at a great deal. We got one for $50 a few years back that worked great, had cheaper ink than our original one, and had a $10 rebate to boot. It ended up being a great deal for $40.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those cheap inkjet printers are just not worth the money. They are cheaply priced because the manufacturer makes its profit on the ink.

I have a Brother laser printer. I got it on sale for $50. It's a workhorse. It still runs smoothly after 5 years. I have owned three Brother printers. I highly recommend them. They can be bought for under $100, but sometimes you can catch a great sale.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't print much at home anymore so my printer is more or less just ignored and is collecting dust, but it is probably categorized as a mid range printer as it is an HP I got for about $60 and it served me well for all 2 years of medium use. My brother has a heavy duty one though and compared to his printer, mine does look frail. He's been using his for about 4 years now without needing any maintenance or repairs on it so I'm inclined to agree.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree. When you are buying a printer, make sure that it's really worth it even if you would have to pay a lot and that you'd be able to use it in a long run. Don't just buy just to have one. Buy because you need it, and buy that will suit you need and would not easily be busted out.

6. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    You're probably right. We just got a $99 HP inkjet printer from Best Buy and I have had several problems with getting it to print, but when it does finally print, it's okay... usually. The nice man at Best Buy turned us on to this program where they send you ink in the mail whenever you run out. Overall it is much cheaper than buying ink manually.
    I got confused on whether laser or inkjet is better. I think everyone pretty much agrees that laser is better. I am just starting to sell on Amazon and eBay more regularly and this dinky inkjet printer isn't going to cut it. I will need a laser for sticker labels and stuff. I hope I can get a good deal on a (possibly used) laser printer since I also assumed they were very expensive.

7. kaka0

kaka0New Member

Threads:
    One year ago I decide to buy new small laser printer with scanner to my home use .My old hp printer doesn't have sanner.

I'm printing few pages every day .
    I chose samsung scx3400W for about 150Euro - after few months was broken .Paper was jam very often and some mechanical parts broke...Toner to new printers models is realy expensive new compatible - non oryginal cost me around 50Euro .

Till now to print my documents I still using old hp pro 1102 . I'm buing cheap toner for 34Euro with delivery .

I think that next time If I will need laser printer I will buy hp pro 1102 used one or something used older istead of new expensive printers ....and toners .

Thats My opinion about new expensive laser printers...

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'll just say avoid HP printers! And, I guess that is synonymous with bargain nowadays. I used to have a good run with them, but the last three items that I bought from that brand pretty much hurt my feelings. The last two stop working after not having been used or even turned on for a small period of time. I don't know if I print enough anymore to even invest in another one of any level, but there are moments when I do wish I had something.