Don't Forget Thrift Stores

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by cluckeyo • Jun 6, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Over the past few years, I have learned a thing or two about saving money. And thrift stores are a really good way to do that. Not all, but some have fabulous clothes. Clothing is so expensive. I stay home most of the time and all I really need is every day clothes. But I have found really nice clothes, too. It is worth checking out some of these stores. Once I bought around 10 of the prettiest winter sweaters you would ever hope to own. And once I found a dress that was so pretty, I wore it to my daughter's wedding shower. So don't forget to check out the thrift stores. You never know what you may find!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my clothes from thrift stores.

One strategy to use so you can get only the best clothes [on occasion you might even find clothes are totally new] almost always is to find out when the stores restock, be it daily or weekly. Visit the stores at that time and I'm sure you'll never want to pay full price for any clothes.

3. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    For the past several years, thrift stores have been the main place that I buy my clothes. I do like to buy my socks and undergarments new though. There is a thrift store close to where I live and I stop by there pretty regularly to see what they have. It's also an animal shelter and the proceeds from the thrift store goes to help the animals. I went there last week and bought several pairs of shorts and didn't pay that much for them. A couple of them didn't even look like they had ever been worn before.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea. Truly, it seems so ridiculous to pay full price for clothing. I have some really nice things that I got at thrift stores, there is just no need to spend all that money. I have kind of gotten off track with this lately. So this discussion helps me re-focus.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true, you can unearth the most precious gems in thrift shops! However, they're just not my personal favourite places to shop for clothes. For those, I much prefer to shop for first hand clothes in my favourite stores or online stores. Most of the time I buy from the sales, so I still get good bargains. I do however shop for a whole lot other things, such as accessories in thrift stores. In fact, where I used to live in England, there was this one thrift store that sold the most gorgeous firsthand or gently used jewellery, most of which was made of lovely Marcasite stones, which I really like.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the majority of my clothes from thrift stores too. Most things are donated because they weren't getting worn in the first place and there are often brand-new, unworn items on the rails.

The only issue is that things can be a little hit and miss in these shops. You can go for a few weeks without finding anything and you do need to check regularly.

7. animos

animosNew Member

Threads:
    I love thrift store shopping, it can be hard to find something it the size and style you want but it makes it all the more rewarding when you do have a great find. I seem to have the best luck finding things out of season. I recently went looking for some shorts (summers in the south, ugh) and found a fantastic pair of mid calf leather boots for only $6 that would have easily gone for $40+ if new and they would have been snatched up quickly in the fall.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I purchase most of my clothes from the second hand store to save money. The clothes cost too much and often do not have the quality demanding the price attached to it.It does not take much to purchase an item at the second hand store and alter it to make it a one of a kind and something special.

9. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I love shopping at thrift stores. I have had great luck finding stylish clothing for myself, my husband and my daughter a the thrift stores in our town. A lot of times we can also find great deals on household goods as well.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love thrift stores as well. If you have the patience and the time, you can find some great clothing items. I once found a sweater/jacket from the brand Nike and the fabric is so soft as well. There was no damages nor stains in the item too. But I had to hand wash it to make it look brand new again. You must also use hot water to make sure that the clothes are free from bacteria and dirt.

But right now, I haven't had the time for thrift stores. You see, thrift stores here don't have AC so it can get pretty hot and humid there. Since I cannot leave my son to anyone, I'd have to bring him there with me. And I'm pretty sure he'll just get annoyed and I cannot have any shopping done. Lol.

The next best thing are luxury thrift stores. We have some here and they have AC in their stores. Plus, the items are all branded although a bit more expensive. They also have factory overruns.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too I like to window shop at thrift stores a lot and Saver's locally has sales all the time too throughout the year. I love window shopping in thrift stores. I love Walmart and Ross Dept. store, that has Senior Tuesday Discount of 5%...know it's not much, but it's a discount none the less, too for you can find things brand new sometimes cheaper than thrift stores.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love shopping at Thrift stores too. I have just started to shop at the Value Villages in my city. I am absolutely amazed at the great prices on really great clothes. I can get brand name clothes from Banana Republic, The Gap, Old Navy, Levis for a very good price. I can't believe how much money I'm saving and I look for clothes that are gently worn or if I'm lucky still have the tags on. I also like to go on the 50% off days when everything is 50% off their already great prices. I've gotten brand new Levis for $10. The other day that had 30% off saver cards and the shopper in front of me gave me one of hers so I ended up saving even more money. I think every item I bought worked out to about $5 per top.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, nowadays I don't really look for brand new clothes and I mostly look for 2nd hand clothes since they are very cheap and mostly still decent looking. I buy my 2nd hand clothes either in Ebay or in person.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also like to frequent thrift stores and the only problem is that the good ones are far away from where I am. They are worth the trip for when I travel special to get to those stores though because I get to stock up on a lot of nice clothes that I can buy for cheap. The only hesitation I have is that sometimes the selection is not that good so the trip might not prove to be worth it but that's rarely the case, and what I have found is that the most efficient purchases I am able to make there are for expensive items which I can buy at a fraction of the cost since the other more common type clothes are often ones I can get at an outlet or surplus store for about the same price.

15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I like to save by going to the thrift store as well. You can find many unique pieces of clothes there. If you know how to put clothes together, then no one will know you got your clothes from the thrift store. There is no shame of getting thrift store clothes, just not knwing how to wear it with style. My mom often gets school uniform clothes from the thrift store which saves her money. Kids are always out growing their clothes so thrift stores help with savings.

16. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea! My mom used to get my school uniforms at school yard sales, but thrift stores would be a great place to look, too. I usually try to find clothing I can redecorate or add my own personal twist to. I recently went to a Savers near my house (Savers is basically a chain thrift store, I don't know how far they range) and bought 7 new or lightly worn shirts for less than $20, which isn't so bad! I agree that not everybody knows how to wear clothing they buy pre-used very well, but if you can put it into your wardrobe correctly, they can make for great use! What is your favorite thrift store piece or what do you look for while you're in a thrift store?