Don't Get Cheated At Gas Pump!

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by blur92 • Feb 4, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:

I had no idea this happened. I thought I should post it to help out anyone save money at the gas pump. Although prices have gone down, gas is still fairly expensive in general. I don't think this is widely known either. Like I said, I have never heard of this before.

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well, judging by the comments on the article, not everyone seems to agree on this advice. But better err on the side of caution! I'll definitely not overfill next time.

3. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I guess I should have given the comments more attention. Still, it is not a hassle to be cautious and not overfill it. I agree with you that it is best to be careful. Even if it does not cheat you, I can see how a car can suffer damage from any of the listed problems in the article.

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Th gas pumps don't cheat you, it's people's bias and insecurities that cheat them regarding whether to overfill or not. Overfilling one's gas tank is not a good thing to do, especially on hot days, because it leaves no room in the gas tank for vapors to be created and it can meddle with the proper functions of your carbon filter.

5. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this response. I am not automotive savvy and have little knowledge on the subject. I found this article, and from an inexperienced citizen's point of view, thought there was substance to it.

6. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    What about these companies who advertise that special price on their huge advertisement signs? I have have several experiences when gas is said to be "$2.45" ( just an example), When I pull up to the pump and swipe my card now it says "$2.55" - How does a consumer protect themselves? These gas companies are all rip-offs if you ask me. Gas is always in demand- they are an industry that will always get their way.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're joking, right? If the price is supposed to be $2.45 and you pay $2.55 per gallon with a card, then that means you were looking at the CASH price. Plenty of gas stations charge 10 cents more for credit or debit, so that explains what's going on. A consumer protects themselves by reading the posted signs properly on prices.

8. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I had no idea this happened. However, I usually pay with cash and virtually never with credit or debt. I understand how using the latter two can be more convenient to carry, but I think using paper money is smarter in not only this incident but in other situations too.

9. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I am not joking at all. I think this the first thing that consumers assume is that they must have been confused about the "cash" versus "credit" price. There are many consumers who are clearly unaware of this issue. If the price is stated as $2.45 Credit then you should be charged $2.45 Credit. So many people are too consumed thinking that they know it all that they fail to realize what is going on right under their nose. Maybe this issue is just found in inner cities.

10. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if this article is true or not. I know when I got my car from the dealership they gave it to me with a full tank of gas, showing it had 600 km of mileage ahead. Ever since I filled up on my own, it would only go to 550km or so. I never top up the gas, so I just assumed that they did top it up and if I did, it would hold 600km.

On the topic of cash vs credit price, and advertised price, I will have to keep a look out. It wouldn't shock me in the least as gas stations have never been the most reputable or honest businesses out there.

11. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Is there a specific reason you never completely fill your gas tank, or do you just randomly do that?

It wouldn't shock me either. Any business in general try to get the most they can from a customer. This includes using means that are subtle and sneaky.

12. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I do fill it up I think - when it clicks, I shut it off. I never keep going past the click, maybe I should? That's what I mean by topping it off, if it clicks off I just leave it and don't fill it any further.

I don't think all businesses are sneaky, but for sure I have had a lot of questionable experiences with gas stations. I once had a gas station double bill me, the same credit card charge twice. I called the gas station for what ever stupid reason, and the guy said oh thanks for calling, and wanted me to work with him on it, then stupid me realized it was all a scam, so I just called the credit card company like I should have to start with. I also called the police but they didn't seem to care!

13. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Well, if you have no issues with your car then there's no reason to change how much you put into the gas tank.

What businesses, in your experience, do you find to be genuine? Gas stations generally are shady. I've had some situations with a few before but nothing as bad as your recollection. The worst thing that had happened was partly my mistake. I handed the woman a 20 dollar bill but asked for only 10 on my pump. I started leaving without my change. She wasn't going to tell me and just keep the other 10 for herself. Once I was out the door I remembered and walked back in; she looked disappointed.

14. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have a lot of small business owners in my extended family and knew a lot of others from our social circles growing up. Some, yes, were shady. However a lot of them were just decent hardworking folks that would feel guilty to do something sneaky, and really conducted themselves very ethically. However I will say, the sneaky ones were a lot more successful...

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Note, another thing that is bad for your car and could be considered a savings risk would be driving on too little gas. In other words, we should always keep a certain amount in the tank - not ride on empty. However, though, due to a low-income, some choose to do this to save money.