Don't let your kids play games with in-app purchases

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by lindbergh • Apr 26, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard some horror stories wherein some people were billed thousands of dollars because of a mobile game. They let their kids play a game and they were charged. This happens when you let a kid play a game with in-app purchases. These games would regularly remind the player to purchase this item or upgrade to that item. Of course, the kid would not read these and just probably click on the OK button and not the cancel button. If your credit card number is stored in the phone, too bad.

So, check the games that your kids play and don't allow them to play games that have in-app purchases just to be sure.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is why you should just enable password requirement for purchases. Unless you're constantly purchasing apps, this isn't going to get annoying, but it can save you a ton of money by preventing purchases with your express permission.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My tablet always asks for a password before purchase, so I'm not that worried. I agree that it's very risky for some, though, since kids generally don't care about or understand spending yet. Additionally, the kids in our family are also taught to ask permission first before clicking on anything questionable, but there are younger ones who still aren't able to understand this very much as well.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you're kid has access to your credits cards and they're able to purchase in-game items then I guess it's partly your fault as a parent. Just enable password protection for purchases. And besides, kids should go play outside and have real fun rather them letting them fiddle around with electronic devices all day.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why parents would allow their kids access to their credit cards since most of the time it's guaranteed that the will abuse it. I'd rather give them cash for use in emergency than outright letting them use my cards. I don't mind buying them some in-game things once in a while but I'll never let them use it themselves for in-game purchases ever.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Considering that some games are developed with the sole intention of fooling kids into buying in game items - this is pretty solid advice! I've watched a few reviews of free games where the purchase button was placed in easy to click by mistake spots and the gameplay was built in such a way that you constantly needed to buy things in order to progress. Ideally, all parents should password protect the phones in order to make sure that cheap/free apps don't turn into a money loss via kids playing.

#6May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Well that should never happen and every parents do have to be careful since kids love playing games. If ever anything is purchased with my card online my bank usually send 6 digits pin to my phone number to enter before continuing the process so I'm not really worried if someone tries to use my card :D

8. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I also have my setting set to ask me for a password before app purchases. That way, it avoids me or anyone else "accidentally" making app purchases. However, if your change knows the password then I guess you would have to monitor it some other way. Furthermore, if your child gets ahold of your credit card without you knowing then thats an issue.