Don't pay through the nose for PC security.

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by FortisLupus • Sep 5, 2012.

1. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    The old adage is "You get what you pay for". In most respects this is true, but not when it comes to PC and Laptop security. Norton and McAfee have been around for years, and now they are offered free by many ISP's. Why you ask? Simple, because they are next to useless.

Norton is extremely system intensive, not to mention intrusive. Your online activities are broadcast back to Norton's servers, something they fail to notify people of. McAfee is less invasive, but also less affective.
    What they both have in common is this: When your subscription runs out, they no longer provide you with any protection... The amount of times I've had to clean up systems that have been running these software is insurmountable.

Kaspersky on the other hand is a well recommended subscription based anti virus (AV) program. One that does still provide protection upon the subscription ending. Although updates can prove problematic under these circumstances.

The best advice is to use free AV software. Avg by Grisoft is suitable for most users, although the support for Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista is quite poor.
    Avast is my recommended AV of choice, with it's constant updates, silent running and low system resource usage, you hardly even know it's there half the time. It will actively block infected websites before they have a chance to load, therefore saving you from accidentally compromising your system. Additionally, it has full support and compatibility with all Windows platforms.

Use of a firewall is often recommended too, although if your internet is directed through a router, the need for a firewall is at the low end of the spectrum, as most routers these days come with a built in firewall. In this instance the Windows firewall is more than adequate for anybody's need. Should you be using the internet via the means of a USB cable modem however, you will need more adequate protection. Again, free software is often more powerful, and safer, than paid software. ZoneAlarm by ZoneLabs is one of the better free Firewalls available to download. Simple to use, friendly layout and with a powerful heuristic approach to preventing system invasions.

Let's not forget about Malware. This covers spyware and adware, many programs offer the ability to remove and prevent this nasty pieces of software, although most of them are malware themselves.
    The only one's worth recommending are Malwarebytes and SpyBot S&D. The latter is more powerful and only recommended for advanced users, the former easier to use but not as intensive. The choice is really up to you.

All these pieces of software can be found through google searches and downloaded free of charge. I recommend looking into them. Save yourself money on software, and more importantly save money on cleaning or repairing your system.

Above all else, when on the internet proceed with caution. Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this. I've been using Avast for as long as I can remember. I find it enough for my needs, together with Malwarebytes and MS Security Essentials. However, MSE and Avast sometimes clash when run together, so I have currently disabled MSE, and run Malwarebytes only when I want to run a quick check. I am hoping this suffices!

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I can add my endorsement to that. I've used McAffee for a long time, but a couple of months ago, I had a big crash, and I couldn't even get on the Internet to find a fix. A friend who is a computer whizz sorted it for me, and replaced the paid for McAffee with a free version of Avast. He also added Malwarebytes and advised me to run it once a week. In addition, as my computer is over five years old and tends to run slow sometimes, he installed CC Cleaner. I run this just after I run Malwarebytes, and everything is fine now, for no cost at all. I'll never pay for security software again.

4. Robert E.

Robert E.New Member

Threads:
    Thanks so much! I've been looking into Mobile virus protection recently, and I've seen Avast! on a few comparison charts(lookout mobile is my weapon of choice). I was not aware that this is also a PC anti-virus. I'm going to be giving this a shot, because I have always used AVG in the past. AVG seemed like my best option, but it really slows down your speed. AVG slows me down so much, that I have not been using a virus protection program in a long time. I can't wait to give Avast! a go. I will also be checking out Malwarebytes out of curiosity. Sometimes I wonder if a few of these anti-virus programs are actually viruses...

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the free versions of anti-virus, malware, and firewall software. I have never been infected and I've been online for decades. Yes, some paid solutions offer some added protection, but I'm very careful online and haven't had any problems.

6. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    I never understood the logic behind paying huge sums of money for antivirus software when so many great free alternatives are available.

It made even less sense to me when I read that the free version of Avira AntiVir has far greater detection rates than most, if not all, antivirus programmes (including the ones that aren't free).

I've been using only free programs for PC security for years now, ever since I switched from Norton, and have never had an infection. I'm glad I gave up Norton though, it was the biggest resource hog I've ever seen.

7. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    My wife and I had to spend a lot of money on debugging our computer. We went from Norton to Webroot to Trend. We kept getting viruses and malware.

The last time we took our computer into a store to be debugged, we asked the technician what the best program was. Since they make their money debugging computers, he acted like he was not supposed to tell us. He quietly leaned over and mentioned Kaspersky to us. So we took Kaspersky home and put it into our computers.

That was almost four years ago, and we have not had any problems since. Enough said.

8. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Just to add...Viruses are now moving over to mobile platforms but Avast has a FREE version of anti-virus software for mobile platforms. Avast, I love you.

9. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Nice Analysis this is! I however would rather pay for a Full version of a Security App than to have a free apps than can't protect me against real threats! The free antivirus software aren't design for full PC security!

10. Vadim

VadimNew Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure the Microsoft Security Essentials or whatever it's called is supposed to be a pretty good anti-virus and whatnot. And it's free (as far as I'm aware).

11. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I paid 50 dollars for Norton and they aren't that good. I found free versions of protections and they found things that Norton didn't. I don't really like them, I think it's just the hype people give them.

12. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is exactly what it states. A Security Essential. In the same way that full cream milk and white bread are essentials. But most of us these days like wholemeal bread, and lower fat milk. So the essentials are only there for when times are so hard you really don't give a f-udge what you get.

MSE is supplied with Windows as a "go between" until you get a higher form of protection. Sadly, it is prone to infiltration. Microsoft often release "HotFixes" to prevent hackers circumventing MSE. One of the most notable infections of this kind is Platinum Live Security. A malicious malware program that hotlinks websites to a fake purchasing page, and prevents the PC from loading any programs. Once infected, your virus software is disabled and you can't re-enable it via windows.

If you DO encounter this program, don't fear. There is a solution and it can be removed... Just, whatever you do, NEVER enter any information onto the website it takes you too. If you do ever get infected with Platinum Live Security, always run Windows in Safe Mode until you can get rid of the malware.

13. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    +1 for Avast. Avast is pretty good for a free antivirus. It has tons of features that I find quite useful like the sandbox that lets you run potentially harmful programs without harming your computer and the boot time scan that scans for viruses before they can load. It managed to find stuff that AVG had missed. They also have a support forum for free users.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I suppose the amount of security needed depends on what website you visit. Note, since I don't visit websites noted to be a security risk, like say P2P downloading websites, I don't need security software. Instead, a simple anti-virus will do. However, it's obvious some need it and others can be scared into buying it when they don't really need it. In that case, obviously, they're not getting a good bargain.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like Vadim, I found Microsoft's Security Essential download and use it often which is totally free. My friend who can build a computer helped me and installed COMODO which is totally free too and works so good & quickly too. I've never heard of COMODO before my friend installed it for me. If you're under warranty like I am and have a Dell, try getting in touch with your tech team which helps for free; they gave me a link for a free download DellFixIt and it works like a charm too. Good luck all and stay safe. If you find anything bad you can always report it to ic3.gov too. Take care!

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Lot of antivirus and the malware type of software are fake. And they are just there consuming the resources on the system. I have never find out that virus may come in and these guys are stopping it. Most of the viruses are made by them. And they seem to be distributing it through other means. I am not surprised that they are offering this free for now. That's how they seem to be collecting user data.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have used Avast before but I was not too impressed, but then again also suspect that I was not using it correctly or missing something. There are a lot of options now a days but I still find myself pretty lost at times.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the license of my Symantec anti virus expired, I turned to AVG. I think that was in 2014. But in 2016, AVG stopped supporting Windows XP so I had to find another free anti virus and it is Avast. Although Avast is making the operation slow, I have to be content with it because I think it is the best free anti virus in town of Windows XP systems.

19. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    That is so true, with most PC security software they may be good and efficient for a month or perhaps a year but then you will need to eventually upgrade or pay for it once again when it expires. It might be best to find new anti-viruses for free and use the trial run while waiting for a new brand PC security option to show up.

20. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it is better to use and download free software, as many free anti-viruses are nearly as good as their paid counterparts, as far as virus detection rate is concerned. However, large business owners may still want "the best of the best" since losing data due to virus activity could be disastrous for them. They would lose much more money that way than they would lose paying for an anti virus that could have possibly prevented the data loss. However even for them I think that regular data backups would be the best option.