Don't Waste Your Money!!!

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Deeishere • Jun 14, 2016.

1. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I was going to let it go, but I decided to do something about it. I had purchased this box of candy for $10 at the drugstore. I had eaten this candy before and it was really delicious. The new box I brought looked different and didn't taste fresh at all. So I decided to call the company. They said that the store can sell the product a little after the due date. I didn't look at the expiration date and could not find it. Based on the code numbers, it was June 2016. Ok, so that explains why the candy tastes bad. She referred me to places where I can get another box, but I still complained about paying $10 for stale candy. So finally, she offered a coupon. I just wanted to say, don't waste your money. If a product is bad, you deserve your money back.

2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    It is frustrating when one calls with a complaint and the company wants to give you a coupon for the same item you are complaining about. Nope. You got my money once, but you are not getting it again.

3. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is true. But in this case, I think it was actually the store. They should have pulled the candy and not sale so close and after the due date. I decided to call the company to let them know. Although the lady didn't see all that caring. I would buy the product again but not at the same store.

4. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    One really needs to watch out for the expiration dates. It has happened to me before as well out of a hurry to get all the groceries or because my kids distract me too much that I just do not pay attention to it at times. But you are right, it is better to get your money back instead of a coupon. Oftentimes companies just don't want to help or to take your complaints seriously. And in the end they will lose their customers very fast because I am sure you were not the only one that bought the same stale boxes of candy.

5. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy stuffs that I don't need. I will buy only when I need it badly. I don't spend money on junk food. In my experience alcohol and meat are two things that eat your budget. I don't spend money on alcohol and I buy meat products only two times in a week. I eat vegetarian food more, because it is not only healthy but also saves a lot of money

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder if you had taken it back to the store if they would have refunded your money. The company should have refunded your money and given you the coupon for your next purchase. Customer service is what it is called and they did a poor job of it. I try not to buy candy especially bagged or boxed candy from the drugstore since they do not have the turnover that a grocery store will have. So they usually have candy from the previous year. I will buy a candy bar that they have at the registers since this is fresher than what they have on the shelves.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Glad you stood up for what was right. I do this every so often with food but I mostly toss it because some things can be subjective. Like I couple of weeks ago, I got two bags of fresh cut spinach. One bag was fine and the other smelled so I don't dare mix it in. However, by the time I would've been able to return these, it would have really smelled. And the thing is that Trader Joe's is very lenient about these things.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    10$ for generic candy is like too much for me. Don't spend money on stuff that not worth the pricing. With a lot of cheap candy alternatives, the more
    expensiver are not necessarily the best out there (brand media recognition also has influence over the price).

9. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I need to do a better job in checking the expiration date. I don't think much about it when I am in the drug stores. The company said that it should have been pulled the candy a long time ago. This is probably why it was on sale for a few dollars off. I have to watch that since they may not think about it. I had gone to the Russell Stover shop on my way home from a trip and they have really fresh candy. It's just too far from me to go often.

10. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1New Member

Threads:
    Sometime you got to just rolled the dice. You cannot always play it safe. The best information is learned from risk. Don't forget that concept.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's good that you were able to do something about it and that they also gave you coupons to replace your product. I think sometimes things like this just happen as sometimes there will be accidents but if it's a constant occurrence in your drugstore then it might be helpful to send a report to their managers or supervisors since I'm sure they will be appreciative of knowing one of their flaws that they can correct and if not then maybe it's time to move to another place of business.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Something similar happened to me with cheese sticks. It was cheaper than usual but little did I know that it was expired. After a quick argument, I got my money back and sent a complaint to the owner.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I always check for expiration date in most of the items I buy I am more particular about this if it's an edible product. I have the thinking if the product has expired it's almost going to be like a poison to the body.
    That said, to avoid a legal action the store where that expired candy was bought should not hesitate to refund back the money and tender apologies.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that taking the candy back to the store should have been a much easier way to fix this issue than contacting the company, who undoubtedly sold the product to the store well within the expiration period. Then, if the store does not exchange for a fresher product, it is time to contact the company and let them know that you purchased and expired product from this particular store, and that the store refused to either refund your money or to replace the product.
    At this point, the company should then send you money back, or replace the product, and also they would contact the store about their practice of selling candy which an expired date on it and refusing to refund or replace when it tasted bad.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Old soda pop can taste quite bad. Therefore, you should check the label on the bottle. Nonetheless, certain products can last past the expiration date without an effect on taste. In fact, I even heard of one grocery store which specialized in slightly expired food.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In some countries they get away selling expired or products on the verge of expiring where people are not used to check the expiry date but in advance countries they keep such products in different shelves meant for the purpose at a reduced rate tag. People willing to save money or willing to consume them before the expiry period take advantage of these products. But selling it without letting the customer know about its near expiry date is unethical.