Don't You Think That Water Should Be Free?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mildredtabitha • Dec 16, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Rainwater is of course free and one can use it as they desire it but rainwater as such is not safe for human consumption as it gets contaminated with non consumable particles present in atmosphere. You can use it for agricultural purpose and even for certain other uses like flushing your bathroom seat etc but that's about all. Even the rain water needs proper recycling before making it good for human use.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    You can live without food for long periods of time as proven by those who practice fasting. But it would be a miracle to last a week without water. Water is second to air in value and it determines the availability of food. The primacy of water to life dictates that it should be free. Unfortunately, resources have to be expended to access it in some places meaning that the cost element can't be avoided completely.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The water itself is free, but the service of delivering it costs someone (or some company) money to do that, whether it is bottled water like is delivered to an office, or just plain tap water that runs through pipes. Money has to be spent to get the pipe system up and running, and then maintenence needs to be done in case a pipe breaks, or there is some other problem.
    I don’t agree with some places making it illegal to catch rainwater, and no one actually owns rainwater; so it should be free for anyone who wants to setout a rain barrel.
    In my city, they charge you for sewer usage depending on how much water you use, and that is not right either. In the winter months, a person might not use much water except in their home; but during the summer, people water their yard and gardens, and this uses extra water.
    The water that is used in the yard and garden goes directly back into the soil, and not down into the sewer; so they are charging a sewer bill for non-existent sewer usage. The only way to avoid paying this is to have a separate water meter put in (which is very expensive) that is declared just for watering purposes.
    Some things it is fair that we are charged for, but when there is no service or product being provided, then people should not have to pay.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you but most of the water available on the earth is neither potable nor drinkable so one has to use it sensibly and sparingly. What the water authorities supply us through tap is not only refined, recycled but needs lot of expenses in form of water tanks, pipelines, treatment and vast number of maintenance staff.

@Bestwriter if someone wants to use their own water resources they can do so by giving up their water connection.

5. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Water is like the most abundant natural resource and one would assume that it should be free but it can't be because these utility companies that provide water to urban areas also spend fortune to make that happen .

Perhaps you might consider storing rain water or digging up a well.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't you think that digging up a well or storing rainwater would cost you even more than what you pay to water supply agencies? I think storing rainwater or getting water through tube-well or submersible pump would be costlier and its quality would be inferior than what you get through official water supply.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Well, water from natural sources are still free. I know not at all places. But as compared to past problem with drinking water has been increased lot. So government and other are spending money behind cleaning process. So naturally they will going to charge us for the same. More than that it has been become business now, so its like they will not do anything for nothing.

8. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    I think that in actual sense that water should be free, it's a nice thinking but we all know that it's virtually impossible to have anything free in this world. There is even this saying that, even if Freetown that freedom is not free. So therefore, I believe there is no way water can become a free commodity unless the ones that comes from natural source as you pointed out in form of rain. What about people who are into water business? Are they to give out their business services for free as well?

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I don't quite think 99% of the body is all water, reasonably I will agree with around 60 to 70 percent. That said I think water should be free or at most made very very cheap to cover the cost of treatment and others. It is a fact I agree with one can live longer with water even if no food but on the reverse it will be more terrible to have food and no water.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have lived in a farm. In the farm and country side, water is free. People can install tube well or dig well and use water for free. They can also collect river water and use it for free. In the city, you have to pay for water. water is the basic necessity and I think like air water should also be free.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, water is already free anyway when you drink from a fountain, but because these water companies invest in equipment like pipes, servicemen and those purifying machines, I think it is just right that they charge. They are running a business.

12. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    This is what I could easily agree to, not making water to be a free commodity but to be sold at a very cheap price. By this way most people could have it easy without having to spend a lot on it. The only water that would gotten for free probably should be water projects constructed by the government. Anyone that is fortunate to come to such project set up can get any quantity of water required for free.

13. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that life is more easy and simple in the country side, compared to what you witness in the city. Competition is what makes everything in the city to be very hard for most people and also increased population is another thing to take into consideration because the more there is much people seeking to get a particular commodity, it's definitely going to be costly.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I agree water from government agencies being supplied to homes should be made free or at most come very cheaply such that every home will be satisfied with. Every other source of water especially the ones that haven't been treated artificially should come free.

15. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    Water cannot be free especially tap water. You have to consider that there are some people who work in water companies who are responsible for supplying water especially to those people living in towns. These people need salaries which get paid through the water bills that we pay. If water was free then there would be a huge tax burden to the tax payer so as to pay the guys working in water companies.

16. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I think that water should indeed be free for all. I don't think that in this day and age that we live in, some people should still have to go without water for any reason. It's absurd, especially when you consider that it's what makes up most of our planet. I'm sure the governments could come up with a cost effective way of ensuring that everyone gets free water if they wanted to...

17. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Of course yes, as long as it's now chanelled into a business venture, it's supposed to be charged. The only thing that should be considered is to reduce the amount it's being sold at in order to make it easy for people to have access to such valuable commodity. I get seriously worked up when I see some part of the world suffering from drought, leaving both human and animals as well as plants to suffer a lot.

18. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

In as much as I do agree with other member's post about the costs involved in supplying water, I feel your point is perfect. It is really not fair that there are people in the world lacking water. It is also not fair that there are people in the world who can't afford water simply because it is expensive. No one produces water. So everyone should be able to access water.

19. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    As long as these water boards are always offering constant water supply for homes, charging a few amount for the water is not a wrong thing to do but it's when they fail in their service and still expect people to pay water bills, then it's totally wrong. I have had this experience once, we weren't offered constant water supply for one month and was expected to pay bills for it, almost all of the neighborhood refused to pay and rather sued the water company.

20. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you on this but unfortunately it's not what is obtainable in my locality. They practically sell any kind of water the owners have to people who don't have access to their own water well. Ordinary well and borehole water is being sold here to the masses. This shows how much we lack water in the city here.