Don't You Think That Water Should Be Free?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mildredtabitha • Dec 16, 2017.

1. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    It's true no one produces water but it takes cost to construct water projects and run a water corporation. In as much as I agree water should be free but those that came with a cost to maintain it deserves to be paid for but it should be at a cheap price in order not to make things difficult for the poor masses.

2. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Rainwater can be harvested and it is free. There is no means for measuring it and charging or taxing it. So you may want to take a look at that. It can be really good way for storing the water. But the thing is that not a lot of people can store it. And even worst part not a lot of people can have it as some regions have low water.

3. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    If it's from natural water source, then water should be free because there is no way possible to get people pay for it. Take for instance, spring water as well as rainfall. There is no way one get charged for making use water from these sources. But once it's from water board or probably one's constructed borehole, there is every possibility of such water being sold.

4. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Rainfall water is absolutely free, there is no way anyone is getting charged or taxed for such water. It's all in the hands of the an individual to make plans on how to get the water once it starts raining by buying property that would enable him or her to fetch the rainfall. We do this very well here and it's a good feeling to taste natural water falling from the heaven, unlike these treated water people always buy.

5. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    I can remember fetched stream and spring water when I was little, nobody ever asked me to pay for them. It's only when we go to fetch tap water and borehole that we pay small amounts for it. It's not that expensive which is why we never had any reason to complain about it. My mother back then prefer spring water to tap water saying it's more pure than the chemicals treated tap water.

6. AmieBotella

AmieBotellaNew Member

Threads:
    Wow. I can't believe you can't collect the rainwater! How cruel is that. I personally believe water should be free but I also understand the costs to make it potable for human consumption so as a result I'm okay to pay for it. But knowing there's such a law like that is shocking. Rain is free, spread all over for everyone to get. Sad. I just couldn't believe it. It's like Dr Seuss' The Lorax's Mr. O'Hare selling bottled air.

7. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. I don't get it when I go to a restaurant here in my country, the price of a bottled water is pretty expensive. I mean, it's just the same water we always get. The price of the water is really unbelievable. Water should be free in all parts of the world because it is very essential to us.

8. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Great topic. I too feel the same way as water is a natural resource which we get from mother nature it should be free but when you see the amount of demand it cannot be so. Even in my village, we get fresh water from our borewell free of cost which is not possible in urban areas because of the population and the level of treatment processes that it undergoes before it reaches us. So in order to fund those treatment plants and those employees, we are buying water and paying taxes.

9. asiimwe emmanuel

asiimwe emmanuelNew Member

Threads:
    as well as electricity because these are natural resources

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    What? Electricity you said? How is that a natural resource? Electricity is man's invention not anything natural resources and should be paid for depending on how much one consumes light energy. Those that uses it for business purposes are definitely going to pay more, for example factories but homes should at least get a fair bill.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    If one ever lived in a rural setting, there is 100% possibility of fetch streams and spring water. For the record, it's practically the only water source available to rural dwellers initially before the construction of water boards to help make life easier for them. I can still tell you boldly that anytime I travel to my village, I will only drink for my grandmother's clay pot which only spring water is stored in.

12. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Jeez, that's the absurd law I have ever come across ever since I know the meaning and significance of laws. Going to jail for collecting rainfall? What is probably the harm in collecting the rainfall which makes one so guilty to be sentence to jail for it? I doubt such laws would make a stand here in Nigeria because people are definitely going to fight the government over it and there is no way the government is going to win.

13. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    I also feel the same -The world would be a better place if water would be free. If only the governments should take responsibility to provide citizens with free fresh water for drinking and basic home needs and construct enough sources of water (points), -drought, climate change and other calamities wouldn't be topics of the day affecting human society.

14. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I strongly think that water should be free, but there are companies that produce bottled water and they will never give us water for free even if water is a natural resource. The only way to have water for free is to dig a fountain in our yard.
    I have my own fountain and I have water for free.

15. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Even the government charges money for water. You will have to pay water bills for the civic water supply. Until now you don't have to pay for ground water if you dig a tube well or well in our country, however, it is heard that the government is planning to charge for digging a tube well in your backyard.

16. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    The truth is that the government cannot do everything for its citizens, there are bound to be sacrifices to be made by them. I'm not saying it's not a good thing for the government to provide fresh water for the masses, but making it free is too far fetched in this modern era. At least, a token should be paid by the masses for it.

17. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    The government would be really crazy should they try implementing any useless law that demands getting charged for water which one digs up a fountain in his or her own backyard. I strongly doubt that such law would ever make a stand for one day in my state. When we fought the government for electricity bills and won, water case would be a scoupe for us.

18. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Most definitely it should be free for drinking. But I do think that we should pay something towards the maintenance of the pipes and sewerage. I wish they would stop putting fluoride in the water though. All those people who work at helping our water supply need pay so they can buy food etc. Should we expect them to work for nothing?

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My water is free because I have a deep well. It is not one of the things that I take for granted but it is nice not to have to worry about a water bill every month. This is one of the things that I do not to want to have to pay.

20. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Well said @janemariesayed@janemariesayed, these people have families that they take care of buy doing such work, and it's whatever that is paid for the services they render to the masses that is inverterbly used in paying their wages or salaries. So therefore, something must be charged on water but not too much.