Double-dipping on buying movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by silentrascal • Jul 3, 2014.

1. silentrascal

silentrascalNew Member

Threads:
    Do you "double-dip" on DVDs or Blu-ray movie purchases when a newer, "special" edition comes out? Or, are you typically happy with the one you already own and that's that? For the most part, I think it depends on the movie and what's added to the newer version. For instance, with the Christopher Nolan Batman films, I bought each one separately and have been with with those. Then you turn around and they have "The Dark Knight Trilogy" boxset (which sounds good in and of itself to have them all in one set), and THEN again, they come out with "The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector's Edition" (the one in the white box with the shattered bat logo on front). Good grief. I haven't upgraded to that last one, though I'm thinking about it. I'll usually double-dip if the newer version has things like more deleted scenes (or any if the first version had none), outtakes, alternate endings, and things like that. Obviously there's more money involved in being spent if you double-dip, though what I'll do on occasion is get a number of my movies together that I no longer want, including the original release of a particular film, then put them up on eBay, and after selling it, get the newer version of that film and something else I may have wanted too. That way it seems more worthwhile.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend not to unless it's a movie that I really like that much that I wouldn't mind spending again on it, but that rarely happens as I only have a few movies I'd be willing to do that on. If it's for a movie I only like somewhat and the new extras seem valuable to me, then I'd consider just buying it and selling my old discs, but I've honestly never done that as I feel as though the trouble I'd have to go through of selling it and getting only less than half the price I paid for it isn't too much worth the effort.