Double Glass Windows

Discussion in Home & Garden started by to7update • Jan 15, 2017.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, most of you guys have these regular double glass windows, but mine go way back 1998, so they still have single glass and let all the cold and noise from the street get in. It's a big investment to make on all the windows I have, but it's a necessary one. Aluminum or PVC, certified company or not, under analysis now. What's your opinion?

2. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    We had to replace all of ours a couple of years ago after the existing single panes smashed in a windstorm. It was expensive, but did produce a saving on heating and made the place much quieter. We went for PVC and have been very happy with them.

Always use a certified company. If something goes wrong on the install or afterwards, a guarantee and certification can save you a fortune, and if you have old windows you don't know what they will find during installation.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have this. We live in a simple, austere way of life. I am just an average earner. For us, this is a dream to have a home with a double glass window. Our window is too inferior. when the rain comes, it gets into our home. We have to cover it with think plastic to avoid more rains to come in.

4. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I know the feeling, and I am sorry to hear you're living with this. We were living with cracked glass panes and distorted, leaking, frames until the storm, when fortunately the insurance covered the replacement cost.

One thing we found did help was to get transparent acrylic panes, like they use for greenhouses, which is cheaper, lighter, and easier to handle than glass. Then we attached it to the inside of the window frames on windows we couldn't open anyway with glue or thick duct tape, making for cheap home-made double glazing. Also, if you can get sticky-back plastic and put it over both sides of a window pane with cracks, it can stop the cracks getting worse, and if the window does shatter the plastic stops glass shards going all over the floor.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's pretty much why I still have mine since 1998, because it's a huge investment. Some certified companies have visited me and advised me to save some more money because they know I will not be paying $4000, when I can get the job done for $2000 with a non-certified company.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    The house I am currently renting is not so old but still came will single glass windows. I will not change them unless the owner comes and change them herself. One of thr windows recently brokewas due to a minor hit with a ball. I guess most houses here new and old still have and come with single glass windows.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of our windows with the vintage panes that need replacement. However, the metal part of the window is very rusty that it couldn't be opened anymore. That's the same with all the windows in the 3 bedrooms of our house - this is a 20-year old house which we bought in 2001 so that makes it 35 years old now. In my last canvas of cost, we need around $1,000 to make the windows look new again. My wife is surely smart when she just bought good curtains to cover the windows. By the way, some of the glass panes have cracks already.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    We are still old fashioned in this matter. However, someone I know recently got their windows done and they found aluminium cheaper than PVC.

They got the windows tinted too so the room appears cool even in hot days. They got a good bargain and bought it in bulk.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I've been dealing with salesman on a daily basis and god they are good! They use all possible arguments for me to buy their products, but let's face it, if we are talking about a $1000 difference for similar products, I am not going to think twice. I am becoming more aware of quality though, so I do need to think it through.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if I have the double, but I am pretty sure I do not just based on having the same things that you have going on. I can always feel a draft coming in, and I should probably have that looked at.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    It's a really big investment I am about to make, and I have reduced the companies applying to just two or three. Now I will be starting to negotiate because the lowest the price the better. Most companies prefer to have a smaller profit, than to none at all, so they will end up making a small discount.