Dressing Up

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Jennifer • Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Times have changed and there aren't many opportunities to dress up anymore. However there are the odd wedding or formal occasions where it is required to do so. I love the ritual of dressing up, which I won't go into now as it would probably fill a few pages. :) Do you enjoy the extra effort you have to put in to go on a hot date, charity ball, etc? Or do you dread such occassions because you HAVE to dress up?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I love to dress up, but as you say, you don't often get the opportunity these days. When I'm going to a formal do, I always spend at least half a day getting ready. I'll do a facial and a manicure, and it always makes such a difference I ask myself why I don't pamper myself more regularly. I enjoy the preparation and anticipation as much as the event itself.

3. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I like dressing up. It's like, the perfect opportunity to relax and unwind from the daily stress that I usually face at work. I'm in love with wearing heels and putting makeup on. :)

4. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy dressing up as well and at times, I wish it happens more frequently :D When there is a special occasion that requires my partner and me to dress up, I would go through the whole nine yards - manicure/pedicure, get my hair done professionally, and shop for the right dress! I don't spend a lot on clothes these days, but I'm lucky that there are affordable shops in my town with amazing dresses!

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind dressing up. All my friends say I always dress up because I wear my khakis, dress shirt and sweater (if it's autumn) while they wear ripped jeans and a t-shirt. I like to dress well whatever occasion it is. There's a reason I purchased the clothes in the first place and I wouldn't feel I got my money's worth if the blazer is just sitting in the closet.

6. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I like to dress up if I have the time for it and don't feel like I absolutely have to. Honestly, my joy at dressing up has reduced as I've gotten older and my work and life responsibilities have gradually increased. Sometimes things feel so rushed and I really resent having this additional thing that I NEED to do. However, in general, I like it if I have time. It's always nice to feel the tiniest bit like a princess :)

7. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I take it as a pampering day! I love getting the mani-pedi, the facial, the hair done. The make up! Then of course sliding into the gorgeous outfit and knowing that every one knows you look great is always an awesome way to spend the day. Truly though it doesnt happen often enough.

8. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind dressing up once in a while. I'm a casual person at best so a little change and an opportunity to pamper myself and relax is nice. Just as long as it doesn't happen too often then I'm perfectly fine with it.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I dress up way too often for it to mean anything to me these days, haha! But then again, I don't go through the whole ritual. I stash a dress and a pair of high heels in a bag (often my purse, because my purse is that large and I am that small) and just pull on the dress and high heels while I'm in the bathroom before I go on stage. I don't even bother with makeup, partially because I don't know how to apply it, and partially because I don't care enough to learn.

For me, the "dress up" ritual is more like a mundane "keep good hygiene" ritual, specifically so that I don't have to jump through any extra hoops when I have to be on stage.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't dress up at all unless there is a specific event where I have to dress up. I go for comfort not for style as it is so often said. So I am very proud that people have went more for a relaxed style even those that have a fortune. You can see they look just like we do and wear almost the same things that we would wear and keep on moving, good for them.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to be comfortable but I also like to dress up when I need to. I feels good to wear the pretty dress and shoes, with the make-up and know people are looking at you and saying how good you look.

12. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I do love to dress up! One of my mottos when it comes to fashion is that dress up as if you're always on a New York Fashion Show haha. It's fun and it shows off more of your personality and character. You are indeed what you wear!

13. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Oooh, I LOVE playing dress up for special occasions. It is like a ritual. The whole process of acquiring the clothing, the application of make-up, and polishing yourself to look good on that particular night/day. So much fun - just love it to death. :eek:

14. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I love the chance to!

It feels nice to get dressed and impress a few people with some style and flair! Getting to wear a nice pair of dress shoes is just a big plus. Bowties and ties too are great during occasions, they make me feel like a true gent. I could go on and on about the positives, but you get the point. Dressing up for the occasion is such a great feel!

15. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    It's nice to dress up once in a while. I sometimes even ask the husband to bring me to a fancy restaurant just so I'll have an excuse to dress up. It's just wonderful to wear a pretty dress with jewelry and nice shoes to match.

16. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That's all well and good to dress up and look pretty every once in awhile. I love it myself, other than going to a special place or outing I am cool in those jeans and nice blouse/sweater and blazer. A nice pair of boots or shoes without that high heel and I am all set for the day. I will put on a pair of earrings, watch and a bracelet, all depends on where I am going I will wear a ring/rings and be set. As I always say I am not the jewelry type lady, earrings and watch I can't do without.

17. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    I'm the girl who's always looking for a reason to dress up or dressing up just because I want to. I'm known as the girl who's always in heels and a dress, for example I wore my 6 inch wedges to Disneyland for 12 hrs just because they matched what I thought was the perfect Disney outfit (pink flared skirt w/black hearts & a white cashmere sweater with a black sequin mickey silhouette.) It personally just makes me feel more pretty and feminine. That's not to say you're not girly if you don't dress up but as a girl who's self conscious of her body and height I find heels make my legs look longer and leaner and dresses/skirt show off my teeny waist better than other clothing.

18. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I dread opportunities to dress up and look forward to them at the same time, does that make sense? I mean, I love having the opportunity to dress up and wear a fancy dress, do my makeup, get my hair done or do it myself, and of course showing off to everyone :) But before the event I am all nerves and totally dreading the event. I'm usually worried about what in the world I am going to wear and whether or not I'll have to spend a lot of money to get the comfortable yet dressy look that I want. And don't even mention make up. I love it, but I don't wear it enough so when a big event comes I'm all thumbs!

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love dressing up. Unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to do so. I also think it's funny, but stressful at the same time. Mostly, because I have problems getting my hair just the way I want it. At one time, I considered shaving my head and wearing a wig 24/7.

20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, this is the story of my life, haha! Although, actually, I'm not dressed up all the time, just very often, when I have a show that requires it. When I'm not dressed up, I kind of look like a bum.