Dried Beans Vs. Canned Beans?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Jun 19, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The past couple of days I've been trying to make some small batches of black beans from scratch in my pressure cooker - playing around with times, liquid amounts, seasonings, etc...

I've done this multiple times in the past, but often ended up going back to buying canned beans even though there is a considerable cost savings cooking them from scratch yourself.

My big problem is the ones cooked from dried beans often have a different texture to them and wind up being incredibly bland tasting when compared to the canned versions. Plus they become very dried out quickly when storing them in the fridge after cooking them. Even if I overcook them, they may be soft but they still taste "dry".

I'm wondering if there is something about the canning process or the preservatives they use on beans which gives them a better taste and texture.

Anyone else prefer canned over making them from scratch?

2. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I did the same and came out with the same results.
    I have no idea what they do when they can them, but I wish I did!
    I had a huge bag of chick peas that I just never got right.
    However I have had success with the dry lentils, they seem to cook up great every time.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use dried beans that we boil using the pressure cooker. The hazard is when the beans get overcooked. It is soggy and not really good to eat with that texture. So what we do is to time the pressure cooker and harvest it a bit earlier. Dried beans is better than the canned because the dried seem to be fresher.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I too have stopped trying to make beans from scratch and use the canned beans instead. I have been frustrated way too many times, and have wasted too many batches and just gave up. If I need beans now, I just purchase a can of them and pay the extra cost. As a matter of fact, I just purchased a can of chickpeas that I intend to use in a vegetable soup this weekend. So much easier than soaking and cooking my own beans!

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It's salt. Beans don't absorb any sodium from the soil, so you have to add comparatively a lot of salt when you are cooking them for them to taste good.

I never buy canned beans, only dry. What I do is soak them overnight, then drain the disk water and rinse really well. This washes away the stuff that causes gas as well as aids in absorbing nutrients. I put them in the crock pot and cook them on low all dat long, so at least 10 hours.

Try being more generous with your salting, that may be the only problem with flavor. You can also experiment with all sorts of seasonings.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fat too. I know it sounds crazy, for a food that people expect to be healthy, but beans need both fat and salt to cook properly. I remember trying to make beans for my husband as a new wife, and my beans were always hard and yucky even after soaking and slow cooking. My mother in law taught me that they require some kind of fat to cook right. You can use a dab of olive oil if you are trying to keep them healthier, but they just won't turn out right if you try to avoid all salt and fat.

Sometimes, I just buy the cans too, especially for black beans. I watch for a sale. I think they lie about the fat and salt content though, lol.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere to cook dried beans with baking soda and either olive or coconut oil, so I’ve done it and I’ve never had a problem with the texture. In fact, I now prefer them dried. My only problem is it’s time-consuming. Canned beans are also better for emergency situations so I try to keep some on hand.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I used to soak my beans overnight so they would cook faster. I'm pretty heavy-handed with seasonings (eg garlic blends, Old Bay, etc) and real herbs so flavor was never a problem. However, I would imagine that using ground garlic and herbs while soaking would marinate them without resorting to using salt or saturated fats.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The oil I get. As noted above, some type of fat helps the process. What does the baking soda do? How much of it are you supposed to use? I haven't heard this one, but it's certainly simple enough to try, since I always have baking soda on hand.

@jneanz@jneanz I'm pretty generous with my seasonings as well. I don't know how much of the flavor would be absorbed when the beans are soaking however. It is an interesting idea though. I might give it a try.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m not sure, but baking soda may serve a similar purpose to salt. Plus it’s supposed to help with the cooking process if you have hard water, which we supposedly don’t, but I noticed a difference when I used the baking soda vs. not using it. I use about 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon for each cup of beans.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, great. Thank you for the original tip and for the extra information as well. We do have hard water, so this is definitely something I'm interested in trying. I'll have to keep this in mind for the next time we decide to make beans.

Wow, it only takes a small amount too. Well, you can't beat that... simple, handy, and cheap to do.