Drinking At Meals

Discussion in Food & Drink started by to7update • Nov 13, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I usually lunch out everyday on weekdays (sometimes at weekends too OK) and I noticed that on the cheapest restaurants they make a really cheap dish and then they charge a lot of the drinks. Lately I've been having my meal without ordering any drink and this becomes a lot cheaper. Anyone doing the same or do you think this is just being too cheap?

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I do that a lot. I just order water because sometimes, the drinks almost cost as much as the food itself. I only buy drinks in this restaurant that offers coffee as well along with Icees for 3.79 dollars. I think that is worth it since Icees are usually more expensive. That price is for refillable drinks.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It is different in our area, in fact there is no drinks facility available at all the restaurants in our country but at select few which have licence for serving the hard liquor. Besides I do not drink liquor for a long time, 2004 to be exact so I have no choice but to drink water or cold drinks in some cases.;

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Actually such restaurants are helping you be healthier. The side drinks has a lot of unnecessary calories. I prefer water over any drink on daily basis. Sometimes it is okay to indulge but I have seen that you can save a lot if you carry a water bottle with you always. Where this is not allowed then buy a big bottle of water that's more cost effective.

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm... This is quite intriguing. You are actually right, most of restaurants these days sell expensive beverages. I guess this is the reason why I always bring my own drink when I come and visit restaurants. Luckily, they are not charging you extra from bringing your own. I believe some restaurants are vigilant to people who bring their own drinks that's why sometimes they post a notice about this on their wall or doors. I wonder what restaurant owners are thinking about this?

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    It's not common where I live for people to take beverages to the restaurants, some of them even have signs saying it's forbidden. Some low cost ones do have glasses we can fill with water, so that's a nice plus. The profit from the restaurants many times come from beverages, so that's precisely where we can save too.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not drinking anything but the water I carry with me as I do not like the taste of bottled water so I have been carrying my own RO water everywhere. I carry a bottle from my home and then get it filled at my office from water purifier. I prefer my own water at cheaper restaurants and if I am sure they are giving my right kind of water I don't mind drinking water served by them.

8. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking that maybe their employee bonuses comes from expensive beverages because most of the employees ask you to buy their drinks and sometimes they hard sell them. When I visit restaurants, I don't ask for tap water--it's either I ask for their service water or service tea, the water being used for these beverages are most of the time better than of the tap water. Most people are not aware of this but a lot of restaurants offer service beverages. Am I the only one doing this? :D

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1, that is actually a good idea because those bottles are different and the restaurant staff won't think they are from the restaurant. They even transmit a health vibe. :)

@biege@biege, I really can't say about their bonuses, I think the profit goes straight to the owner and all the employees get are the tips. Service water is a good idea, I used to ask for a glass of water back in the days haha, but I don't do that anymore as the wife says she feels ashamed when I do. :D

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In fact the bottle I carry keeps water safe for 2-3 days. I use a thermos type bottle of 2 lit which is enough for my entire stay in office but in case I have to drink more the water is available in my office. Being a non drinker (you know what I mean) I have no problem even if I use my water in a restaurant because they do not object even if we drink water brought from home. You know the water quality in our area is too bad.

11. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Restaurants have their own business policy, and this is one such of them. People seldom carry water or other format of drinks to the food joints, and those people know it well that it is impossible to remain thirsty after a meal. So rather than taxing the food bill, they try to hit the target with is an unavoidable stuff...smart business!

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I do that almost all the time and I take my own drink where it's permitted like a bottle of water. I don't see why drinks have to be overpriced especially when it's not for refills if it was for refill I would make an execption.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is common here in our place particular in karaoke bar in a resto. It is usually served during night time and there are lot of beautiful waitresses to serve the customers. It is correct foods are cheaper but the drinks are doubled the price of the regular foods. Anyone who wants to enter such business kiosk must have a good budget for his pocket to cope with the high price of the drinks he may order.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind going to restaurants cum bar and see the beautiful people being served drinks by beautiful waitresses but as far my drinking those hard drinks is concerned my drinking is limited to welcome drinks and the 20 ml vodka served before dinner for the sake of company. Cheers...

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That is something important for us to be aware of. When the water quality in our area is not good we need to defend ourselves and carry our own water, not only we are saving money, but we are also protecting our well-being. No questions that restaurants will not object to that, it's just a matter of common sense.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As per the World Health Organisation the quality of water is deteriorating by the day as the factory owners in our area are sending the waste back to ground by boring illegally. I think at the rate the water is being contaminated the time is not far when it will become the main cause of cancer for human being as well animals in our area.

17. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are some hotels which charge a premium for their drinks when you countercheck with the recommended retail price in stores and shops. Its also a good health practice not to drink water at least an hour after eating for the proper processing of nutrients during digestion according to a professor of nutrition who I heard enumerating the same on radio.

18. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live in the world, a lot depends on where the place is that you are going to eat. In a small local town for example we are usually given the option of ordering a drink or not and we have that choice because the owner understands that they can be expensive if bought separately. If you go into the city centre though and to the more famous restaurants they are starting to include the drink in with the price of the meal just to get people through the doors.

If you ask them to not include a drink and then ask how much the meal will be then, you'll often be told the same price as it comes as a package and they can't split the deal which I find ludicrous. They offer these so called meal deals to attract the customers in, and then tell them that they can't choose what they actually want!

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the fact is that in major cities in the world the water passes through our bodies a number of times and I think this says it all about it's quality. I don't know if there is a direct relation between the quality of water and cancer, but surely causes diseases.

@pwarbi@pwarbi, that is too much really, so we pay the same even if we don't drink anything?

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually the water in our area contains minerals and substances which are considered health hazard and when they are mixed with waste from factories and drainage system and supplied through bore well they become even more dangerous. I am using a 6 stage water purifier to clean the water.