Drinking more water

Discussion in Food & Drink started by isabbbela • Jun 15, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was really good with drinking water until a while back. I drank at least 1.5L of water everyday. Now I don't even know if it reaches 1L, which is really bad!!

What do you do to remind yourself to drink water?

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I keep two jugs of drinking water (with two extra in the refrigerator) positioned at place in my apartment where I'll probably be when it's time for another drink---one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen (in good position to be watching TV).

Some people don't drink extra water (figuring that they get enough in their food), because they don't like getting up to use the restroom every hour-or-so. I understand that, since there are things that take 2-5 hours that you DON'T WANT INTERRUPTED (and you don't want one o` those strap-on bags :p ). But "regular 'going'" helps you keep your body clean inside.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe you should engage in some form of exercise regularly so that your body will naturally remind you that you need to drink water. :) I used to consumed only a glass of water daily, though I drink 3-5 cups of coffee and back then so I thought that would supplement my water intake.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't like to drink just plain water but after I started running/jogging to get fit I also started to consumed lots of water (maybe up to a liter a day). :)

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I just bought a 24 Ounce reusable water cup and it's been great for me the last week or so. If I just have it with my all day, I'll end up usually drinking around 3 of them a day, which is far better than I've been in the past few months. It doesn't feel like I'm drinking a lot of water at a time and can just spread out my water consumption throughout the day.

Also, adding fruits and veggies like Watermelon can really help your water intake and stay hydrated. Looking for other ways to get water in your body is a good solution to not getting in the mindset where you HAVE to go drink an 8oz glass of water every hour or something.

5. kato24785

kato24785Banned

Threads:
    drinking more water very good for health its improve digest power and good for healthy skin.

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    One way to train yourself to drink enough water is to put the amount you want for the day in a jug. Take it with you to work or with you in the car. It will serve as a constant reminder to drink the water. At it might be a little heavy or awkward, drinking it will lighten the load.

I think if you try this you will get a good idea of how much you are or are not drinking.

I would point out that the 8 cups a day rule has come under fire lately as the two liter volume was intended to include water that we consume in our food and was only a suggestion based on an average person with an average lifestyle.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really. However, what helps me some is having a mini-fridge in my room. Sometimes I still forget because I don't have any Fiji to put in so I still have to go out to the kitchen to get from the filter but I think it definitely helps.

8. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Often just having it within arms reach is probably your best bet to sort of remind you to drink. When I'm at home I'm usually around the computer so I place a large glass pitcher on the table and drink from it occasionally. In fact, I took a quick sip before finishing this post, haha.

That said, it isn't always about just drinking water, but also how -much- you drink. Maybe aim for a full pitchers worth or so a day? You reminded me, I better figure out how much water mine holds.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't really have to remind myself. It's already a habit for me mostly.

Now I do have to convince myself to drink more sometimes when I get tired of water. I usually end up adding flavorings to it at that point like lemon juice or making pink lemonade, etc.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I get thirsty very often throughout the day until late at night because my baby is breastfeeding. Even if I take something sweet as a change but it just can't satisfy my thirst unless it is a plain water. I never paid an attention on how much water I drink everyday but I do notice my husband filling up the water bottle so often :D

11. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I drink a good amount of water because I got into the habit of it long ago. We have a water purification system we bought from a health food store owner who was a friend years ago. It is delicious water. I start out the day with ice water and keep going thru the day. Water is my favorite drink. And I take it with me in the car also, as a habit, along with the dogs water.

12. Tiara Murphy

Tiara MurphyNew Member

Threads:
    I actually found this way on line a long time ago, and I wish I could tell you where I got it, but I saved the picture so that I could remember to do this. It's an incredible way to remind yourself to drink, drink, drink, and to not feel like you're overdoing it!
    439d548511d1869fcfcc22c93111853c.

13. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard it said that you should never feel thirsty because that is your body's way of saying it does not have enough water already. So, if you're thirsty, drink up. Also when you are sweating, you need to drink more. If you are hot and sweaty and don't have to go to the bathroom, you definitely are already dehydrated. At least, that is what I have been told. I don't know how much truth is in these statements. Anyone know?

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live the weather is pretty erratic. Some days it can be so hot that one is forced to drink a lot of ice-cold water. I work outdoors so yeah, I sweat a lot and need that water badly.

On other days it's so cold that one is forced to arm himself with a large thermos of hot tea which must frequently be refilled to keep out the cold. So either way, I drink a lot of water in all it's forms.

15. moorecoby

moorecobyNew Member

Threads:
    yeah i try to drink as much water but i dont usually drink plain water though. i have drink 2 glasses in the morning and one before bed but during the day im drinking other drinks.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have bottles of water spread throughout the house so whenever I go I would be reminded to drink them and also whenever I feel thirsty, I wouldn't have to go to the kitchen to have it so there's no reason for me to be a slacker. I also drink 1L of water right before, after or during the meal. It's also my way of reducing the foods that I might have eaten without making water make me full. And since I exercise and sweat a lot, I tend to be really thirsty all the time, so I just drink and drink water.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't try to drink more if my body doesn't tell me it requires it. Which it doesn't. I eat foods high in water content as it is, I don't need to push myself to fill up on it. If we listen to eating and drinking rules more than our own bodies, it leads to a host of problems. Nobody knows your body better than you do. If you're dehydrated, you will know it. Our bodies tell us when we're thirsty and no, we don't need more than our bodies tell us we need. Those who eat a lot of processed foods will need more, athletes need more, certain illnesses need more.. but again, you'll know.

18. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Can one purchase these items somewhere? Or--if making them on your own--how does one know how much one needs---to know where to make the marks?

Dr. WC Douglass has said we should eat so much 'wet food' that we don't need to "drink water" at all!

19. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Never really like drinking water until one day I decided to eat healthier and I would try to drink water. Now I don't have a problem with drinking water its one the the first things i drink over soda or tea. It was very heard at first but you get used to it after a while.

20. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use to be the same way. I was always dehydrated and would never drink water at all or really anything. Then I moved to Texas and found I get heat exhaustion easy and I needed to drink water. Not to mention I have been trying to lose weight so water is key. I found if I have a water bottle or a cup of water always by me I'll drink it. If I get up to get something or go to the bathroom I will always refill it. I have found I am drinking 8 glasses or more everyday because of this. I feel way better now that I am too.