Drinking straight from the tap water

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by whnuien • May 30, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I used to always drink straight from the tap water that came from gravity. I also did sometimes when I lived in a bigger city and it never affected my health ever, I mean I never got sick. I actually got sick more from a poorly handled drinks at a restaurant.

But when someone else asks me if she should drink from a tap water then I will not say yes because I'm sure everyone has a different level of immunization strength.

Have you ever drank water straight from the tap and did you get sick after?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, the cleanliness of tap water is dependent on where you live. In my hometown tap water is safe to drink. So if I wanted to, I could drink straight from the tap. However, in other places, it may not that safe to drink tap water regardless of how good your immune system is . . .

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped doing this about ten years ago when we moved into a house where the water tasted horrible straight out of the tap! So we bought a filter jug and now I can't drink water out of the top, even though we have moved several times since then, it all has to go through my filter jug.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, tap water is what I drink mostly. Where I live the water is clean so there's no point in spending money on mineral water, like most of my friends do - when I have a limitless supply of inexpensive water available - why pay? Granted, I grew up in the country side, so maybe my tastes are not so delicate :D

A few times when traveling we found water that had an awful taste, even when drinking from a safe well - so we bought & drank mineral instead.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    It might seem old fashioned, but I boil my water before I drink it. I can't stand the taste of the Tap Water here. When I go over to someone's house and I ask for water, they usually give it to me from the tap and I really can't refuse, so I'm pretty much forced to drink that. Lately the tap water here has had some issues, so I'm pretty glad that I never drink from it because we never know what can happen in the future.

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    No, our water is toxic to some level. Heck, even the water company tells us to boil it most all of the time! How sad is that when it comes from the water company, lol. We have a water crock and use pure water to drink. For the showers, it's a shower filter. A filter on the tap would be fine, but we already purchased a water purification system from a friend that was in the health food store business.

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I do it all the time and never get sick too. But honestly, I also think it depends on the area where you live. If you know for a fact that your area has some pollution issues, then I think it's not a good idea to risk drinking straight from the tap. At least you have to use a filter or use a Brita pitcher to make sure you are not drinking contaminated water.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've done it once or twice, but I personally prefer to filter or at least boil the tap water before I drink it. I don't really do it for much any other reason than I've just grown used to it, and would be terribly paranoid if I consciously drank tap water regularly without ever running it through a filter or boiling it first. I mostly just do it for peace of mind, and regardless of whether it's safe to drink or not, I'm just not that curious to find out. I think it should be safe to drink, though, to be honest, since I doubt the city would allow its water to be infected or dirty.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I did and I got sick and not. I think it's not about the immunity; it's about the tap water. They are not all the same; they vary from places to places, the minerals and the microorganisms that are contained in them. Some tap water may be free from microorganisms, so they are safe drink. Others are not. Since it's not easy to tell whether a tap water is safe to be drunk - tests are necessary - it's safest to avoid drinking it at all. Urban tap water is less safer to drink the the tap water in the country. Whenever I am in the country, I drink tap water, because that's what everyone else is drinking there. But when I am at home in the city, I drink the purified water. This is where I got sick drinking from tap water.

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the place you are staying and also what you are used to. Some people have a sensitive stomach that may not react well with the change in water while other will not feel anything. If the place you are staying has some good clean tap water and no cases of water infections, then I would say that there is no trouble with drinking straight from the tap.

11. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I'm used to drinking tap water ever since and I had no problems with it really. Although I wouldn't suggest doing it specially when you're used to drinking treated water. But it will also depend on the place where the water is coming from, some tap water are cleaner than most of those bottled once and others, well not that much.

12. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I am fortunate to live in a place with excellent tap water. Our water is, in fact, bottled and shipped abroad under a variety of company names. The only difference between the shipped water and our tap water is that it is treated differently to ensure a longer shelf life and a sterile environment. I also drink untreated creek water from the tap at our cabin and have never had an issue. We get it tested but the counts of bad guys living in the water are extremely low.

If I am on vacation, I tend to drink bottled water unless I am in a big modern city. I would rather pay a little extra to prevent any water borne illness.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Tap water varies depending on where you live. In my hometown, we live on a well and the tap water is perfectly fine. My family and I have drank from the tap since we moved into the house and never had any issues. In the house I live currently however, the tap water simply doesn't taste very good at all. So there, I choose to filter it just because it tastes better and is probably a little more healthy for me.

14. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done it and don't plan on it. I know plenty of people who do and don't get sick, but my preference is for filtered water. I just don't trust water right out of the tap.

15. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, I'll be honest. My first thought upon reading that you drank/drink straight from the tap was "Ew!". The tap water where I live isn't really safe to drink, and then one time I drank some at a friends house (I didn't realize it was straight from the tap when she handed me the glass) it made my mouth burn! We only drink bottled water where I live, though I know a lot of people who attach filters to their sink and will drink the tap water after it's been filtered. I don't think tap water has made anyone sick before, but I think they put fluoride in ours, so I don't trust it at all.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I made the mistake of drinking from the tap when I lived in Las Vegas. I got so sick. I didn't drink much because it tasted horrible!! But it was enough to make me ill. Many residents have a filter or drink bottled water.

When I lived in LA, I dranked from the tap. I was fine. I recently moved to a suburb and the water taste horrible. We get bottled water delivered.

17. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about drinking tap water, is you are also drinking any debris picked up from your pipes. You better have clean pipes if you drink tap water. Don't assume it's ok. i've seen yellow water before, so will I be drinking tap water? No. Even if it looks clean, I don't know how clean it really is.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do drink straight from tap water sometimes, and I never really got sick doing it. I only do it when the dispenser here at home is not yet refilled, so while waiting for it to be refilled, I will just drink straight form the faucet. The water tastes a bit different than the purified water that I drink, but it still is drinkable in my opinion.

19. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I never drink from the tap water but I used to boil and rinse food with tap water without any thought. I have to use jugs of water until I can get my reverse osmosis filter set up. I also read taking a shower with tap water is 10 times worse than drinking it, so I bought a filter for my shower head too, which just filters chlorine. I've looked at my water report and feel I did the right thing.

20. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very fortunate to now live in a place where one can drink water directly from a tap and it tastes absolutely wonderful. I only just recently moved to Spain, and I can't believe the excellent quality of the water here. It tastes sweet and delicious. A friend told me that it is melted snow from the mountains that gets filtered and directed into the city's reservoir. It's a good feeling for me not having to buy bottled water any more, and I save a lot of money.