Drinking water to eat less?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Mar 12, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you think that if we drink a glass of water before the meals we actually eat less? Being true this would be something healthy and money saving lol, because we would eat less too! Anyone trying to do this?

2. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I did it for a time. It prevents you from getting really hungry for a while, but one of the problems with this "diet" is that you'll end up eating one really large meal during the day and you'll have to go to the bathroom constantly. It is extremely healthy in that you're drinking only water (tons of Americans are dehydrated all the time without realizing it) but also unhealthy in that it sets you up to eat the wrong things. All in all, if you're careful and eat small things throughout the day in addition to your water (toast and egg, deli sandwich, light dinner) you'll be doing much better than the water alone.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I must say that water has a way of playing tricks with your hunger, it keeps it calm for a while before you eat. But I think it all depends on how you train your body. If it is given less food over time, then it will have to adjust and make the body be comfortable with that food.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would take a cup of ginger tea, it helps the digestion. I don't know why you would overload your stomach with water before a meal. Saving money on food doesn't really agree with me at all. I eat about 4-5 small meals a day, and never feel full, but just right to have energy all day long. If you want to save on expenses, cook at home. Buy bulk food, and remember: you're health is the most precious thing you have.

5. Mr James

Mr JamesBanned

Threads:
    @RaidAurora
    This is good way to drinking water for less eat i just want to say you here that i am drinking 10 glass of water in a day and i think this is enough to make me healthy and also the main fact to drink water in this quantity is to keep fresh your face and also healthful.
    I am agree with you to drink water

6. klieny

klienyNew Member

Threads:
    My mom told me about this and i did see a slight difference in her appearance, the weight wasn't that noticeable but her skin was radiant. I tried it, but I used the bathroom too much and so I stopped because it was annoying. But I do go to the gym regularly so I'm fine.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    You will eat less during that meal. Then again you will always only eat as much as you put on your plate. It's a trick that will fill up your stomach, but leaves you with less nutrients than you would if you'd eat normally. So yes, it might be useful in order to lose some weight, but if you have a good enough diet then this really won't help you in any way.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never tried this but even if it works and I know it does, I don't see the point in starving myself to save money. The reason I work is to I earn money which I'll use to buy me stuff that will help me enjoy life. When it comes to choosing between enjoying a good meal and saving money, I'll always choose the former.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't think the point here is to starve, but to eat just what we need, I wouldn't mind losing some weight and this could happen if I started to eat less at meals. If the stomach is filled with water we don't have to eat as much as usual. :)

10. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I actually tried doing that before but it didn't work. I still felt hungry afterwards and it's even more uncomfortable because I have to go to the toilet too often.

I think the best way to curb hunger is to eat vegetables that are rich in fiber such as lettuce and carrots. The fiber will help fill you up quickly. Instead of having rice or potatoes, have carrots instead.

11. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Does this really work? I don't find any point and need in starving myself just to save money because I give my highest priority to food. In my opinion drinking much water is really good for our body but using it to suppress your hunger is not a correct thing, I feel. Eating less but that too tummy full is my policy. I don't like compromising with food anytime.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've always heard that we should not drink water or cold drinks during meals because it slows the digestion down, but I don't see how you guys relate drinking water before a meal to starving, it's just that the stomach is fuller and we don't need to eat as much!

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to keep my water intake to a reasonable amount. Otherwise I will be getting up from my desk like every 30 min or so going to the bathroom, and everyone else will probably wonder what the heck is wrong with me. I'm an absolute mess if I go into a long meeting and suddenly have to go but cannot just get up and leave in the middle of it. So now I try to be more cautious to not get too carried away with water, coffee and tea if I've got some important things coming up soon.

I've noticed if I am drinking too much water and happen to be hungry at the same time, the water doesn't necessarily get rid of the hunger for me, it just makes me feel bloated like I ate a lot, but my stomach still feels empty - and starts to feel sour and irritated as well.

I've actually found it more helpful to suck on some ice cubes to take my mind off eating.

14. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    It wouldn't be healthier, because you need to eat. Water does not provide the protein that solid food does. Not eating is only going to slow down your materialism, and make it harder for you to lose weight. Just count your calorie intake, and make sure you burn more than that.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Well it can stop the thirst that is sometimes mistaken for hunger, and it also helps with digestion so I would say yes. Water alone won't fill you up though as you need fat to feel satisfied. It can certainly prevent dehydration induced cravings though.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Exactly hedonologist, we've got nothing to lose, we've got only to win because we all know most people drink less water than they should, drinking more water by itself it's already a good thing and if on top of that we start eating less, perfect!

17. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    All-in-all my judgment is that this "diet" is more like a trick to just make you eat less. Which can be good for some people who eat more than is healthy, but self-discipline can do anything this diet brings to the table. If you think you can't follow through with budgeting fats and calories, then sure, I think it'd work just fine.

18. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I do this often, but I try not to cut my food so much. I'm not a fan of people who think healthy living is cutting their food intake. Healthy living is not cutting food, it's cutting calories, and I do it often.

Drinking water before and during a meal does get you full faster because you already have water in your system. There would then be lesser space for food. It does help when saving some cash and it also does help you cut your calories.

19. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Drinking water before you eat only makes your stomach inflated, it doesn't actually make you full. It's true that you'll eat less because you lose appetite but it's not advisable to do it. If you want to save up on eating, you should eat until you're about 70 percent full and then proceed to drinking water. This way, you'll last longer and don't feel hungry as fast.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't want to make it something unnatural or made with an effort. Simply have a glass of water before meals and I think we will benefit from that. Drinking water after the meals is not advisable daimashin, it can mess with your digestion, we should drink fluids mostly out of the meals.