Drip Irrigation Saves Water

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Alexandoy • Oct 12, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does drip irrigation save water? I still have to do a benchmark for this although at the outset, I believe that it can save water. One farmer in the province said that a plant needing a pail of water for the whole day can survive decently with half a pail of water by drip irrigation. The concept is that water in drip irrigation is conserved and the wastage is lower than when you water the plant with a hose - this method wastes 90% of the water.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that drip irrigation is good, but I am not sure that watering with a sprinkler or hose wastes 90% of the water. The drip irrigation helps because it is more like a natural rain, and can seep into the ground, whereas if you are watering with the hose, it can't go into the ground that fast and some of the water will run off before it can soak in.
    I usually use a combination of both methods. The sprinkler can cover a lot more area that the drip hose can cover; so when I am watering the whole yard, I use the sprinkler and move it around every little while.
    If I am watering a smaller area, say the strawberry patch, then I put the soaker hose in the berry patch and just let it drizzle the water in until the strawberry plants are well watered.
    I also do water with the hose itself, and that is usually when I am going along the plants at the front of the yard and watering each flower or shrub individually.
    So, in my experience, all methods work fine, just depending on what you are watering.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The secret of drip irrigation is the fact that even under sunny conditions, water is available to plants due to the fact that little amounts are released over time ensuring that plants have their fill. The simplest form of drip irrigation involves filling water bottles with water and then planting them in the soil around the base of the plant.