Drive-in movie theaters...yay or nay?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Sweetkymom • Oct 7, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Drive-In movie theaters used to be very big when I was growing up. We used to stuff our vehicle full of family and friends and just make a nice evening of it. They would always show two movies back to back so we'd be there a good 3-4 hours. We packed a cooler full of food and drinks as well. We'd even pack a few blankets to set on the ground if we chose to not watch the movie in the vehicle.

Those were the good times. Nowadays, you're lucky to find a drive-in that exists. The closest one to me now is an hour and a half away. My family has went to it once.

Have you been to a drive-in? If not, would you like to or do you think they are a thing of the past?

2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I've been to a drive in. I grew up living close to the last drive in in Puerto Rico so my family would take us all the time. It was fun and cheap compared to the theaters. Last time I went was a few months ago. The only thing I don't like about it is that the audio quality outdoors is never as good as indoors with surround sound. But whenever I go is not so much about the movie but about a family outing. A couple of times I enjoyed the movie so much that I went to see it later in theaters.

Our drive in has some benches that we can sit in, but we bring chairs too. It's uncomfortable for more than 2 people to watch from the vehicle.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's actually a drive-in within 15 minutes of my house. It's open every day of the week, and it's always a worthwhile experience. The climate at night here is almost always enjoyable and occasionally chilly (in a good way) during the fall/winter, so you can enjoy the crisp night air and a great movie at the same time. Prices are pretty reasonable on tickets, so you don't have to stuff anyone in the trunk to save money because you're not getting gouged in the first place. ;]

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a drive-in movie theater. I doubt there's still one available in my country. Though we've been colonized by America for more than 40 years, it took time for everyone to embrace the Hollywood movie culture. I wouldn't mind driving through one someday in another country, just to have a taste of the old practices that people used to enjoy decades ago.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, I have occasioned more than a few times this year to the drive-in theaters nearest to my home. I think it's way more of a better experience the movie theaters, because you can simply avoid hearing other people talk and make noises because one can simply sit in their cars and watch. I prefer sitting outside and listening to a radio as I watch a movie at the drive-in theaters; unless it's too humid or cold. The only difference between drive-in and walk-in theaters that I agree the latter wins hands down is the picture and audio quality. Honestly, I rather pay $20 for a car load of people to watch and enjoy a movie, bring whatever I want to eat and drink, do whatever I want to do while watching and not disturb others, and possibly see multiple movies, which I can't do at a walk-in theater!

6. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been to a drive-in, but my mother told me that they were nice. She used to sneak in with her friends so they could see the movie for free. I don't think there are any drive-in theaters here in New Jersey, but I could be wrong. If there are, I have never been to one.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I went to one once as sort of a novelty. It was fun but the sound system wasn't very good. Sitting in my car was also not that comfortable. It was a fun evening though, sitting with the windows rolled down. I always associate them with people trying to make out in their cars like in the movies :D

I'd rather go sit in a theater but I don't even do that often these days. I should go!

8. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We actually still have a drive in in our town. Very happy for that too. I grew up going to the drive in and I like to do those things with my kids too. I know they are closing most of them and it's sad I think. It's a great value and something different to experience with the kids. I hope at least a few of them stay open. It would be a shame if they become a thing of the past. :(

Danyel :(

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been to a drive-in movie. It seems like it'd be fun, though. Unless, someone drove me to one, though, I couldn't go. I'm a pedestrian. I don't drive. So, I'm better off just going to a normal theater, and I don't even do that as much anymore.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever been in a drive-in movie theater actually. There surprisingly still seem to be some that exist but I'm wondering who would really want to go to one when you can just get a movie on your phone now-a-days? I guess for people who are nostalgic for the old days. But back in the day the concept was pretty cool.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been to a drive in movie theatre mostly because it never existed over here. I think it is a wonderful idea to spend a evening stuffed in a car as long as your back does not hurt. I think it is another way to bring the family together and laugh on silly old jokes.I wish there were few of them over here too.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never been to one and I've only seen it in movies and possibly featured in some segments on tv shows. It makes me wish that they were still around because it really does make for something totally different than the experience you would get from watching at home. Though, I understand why they aren't around as much anymore because even if they did exist in my area, I'm not sure I'd go to the as often as necessary to keep their business running. I'm honestly just more after it as a novelty experience that I could hopefully do once in a while.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have not been to one. I don't think I would be interested because for one thing where is the restroom? If I am going to be somewhere for several hours, I am inevitably going to need one and will not be enjoying myself very much if I have to wait a long time. I guess it is more of a social thing than a time to really enjoy a good movie and be focused on it. I like to really enjoy the film I'm watching and not be distracted too much by my surroundings. I don't know that the picture or sound quality would be very good at a drive in.

14. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly, I've never been to one... There's no such thing where I live.
    I'd love too though... At least once. It looks really cool.
    I really think watching movies on a TV screen, alone in your house, is overrated.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think now would be a fantastic time to see a revival in drive in theater to be honest with you. It's a shame so many of them failed to upgrade their equipment to keep with the times, and simply folded the way they did. Sure, there were some logistical things they could improve on, but they would be at a huge advantage these days if they brought them back. Many cars now come equipped with much higher quality audio systems, not to mention internet connectivity via WiFi and or 4G LTE. People also predominantly have cell phones with these capabilities as well. You could have the movie audio broadcast directly into your car instead of using those stupid speaker things that you had to pull into your windows. In fact you could even have the audio broadcast to your cell phone and put your earbuds on if people around you were being too noisy You could sit in the comfort of your own vehicle instead of those ridiculously small and uncomfortable seats in the theater - not to mention have your own arm rests.

As for concessions and tickets, all of these could be ordered and paid for right through your smart phone instead of standing in line. Imagine being able to choose which parking spot you wanted, and you pay through your phone then pull up to it, and a bar raises automatically and lets you in. You could also order food from your cell phone and someone could deliver it right to your car. No standing in lines either. They could put dividers between each parking spot for privacy and so people aren't disturbing each other. I'm thinking the layout could be some sort of terraced parking garage, so the cars in front of you are below you, not blocking your view, and if you pull out of your spot, you're driving behind the people on your level so you're not disturbing them.

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've unfortunately never been to a drive-in, even though I think it would be lots of fun.
    It's one of those things from another time, ever since watching it on the Flintstones opening I've wanted to try but there isn't any around me :(
    It would be great to see a comeback of drive-ins, it's cheaper to have than a proper cinema and cars are so comfortable nowadays that it would be a great experience.

17. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I would love a drive in movie. You get to have your own space and bring your own food without sneaking it in. Also it is more romantic if you have a date with you and the weather is perfect.

18. TheKid

TheKidNew Member

Threads:
    I was never lucky enough to go to a drive-in(they were before my time) but after hearing all the stories my dad and uncle tell about the drive in I really want to go to one with a bunch of close friends. Sadly, it looks like the drive-in's here in our country are all dead. I think drive-ins are an excellent idea and I hope that they would one day re-open.

19. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been to a drive-in movie theater, I would absolutely love to! and I do not think that they are a thing of the past! I don't think people understand who much somethings actually mean! the World needs to slow down and realize that they should not discontinue certain things, as those same things are what a lot of people enjoy doing, I know I'm speaking loosely here but I want to get my point across, we need more skating rings, more bowling alleys, and more parks, less videos games! lol, I would really like to visit a drive-in movie theater before they become "extinct" just so I can see what it is like.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a drive-in movie theater yet, but I won't mind trying it once just to see how it's like. If I liked it then I will watch movies again via drive-thru, if not, then that will be my 1st and last time to go to a drive-thru. But over here, I haven't seen any drive-thru movies yet.