Drive-in Movie Theatre

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by khillis • Apr 1, 2014.

1. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    Does anyone still go to the drive-in? We have quite a few in Ontario, generally in cottage country. It's so much fun; packing the car up and having a good night out together. Does anyone still take part in drive-in theatres?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love them. There is one not far away from where I live, and I go there at least once or twice a month. I take a camping chair and cushions along, food, drinks, you name it. Not to mention good company. :) I like to sit in a wide open field and watch an interesting movie on a screen. I never forget my first drive in movie, it was "Betty Blue".

3. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    We don't have any drive-ins around here anymore. If there was one, I would like to go. It is a shame they have dried up. It was so much fun going to a drive in movie with my family. I think it is great family time. These kinds of things bring a family closer together. I hope they start them up again.

4. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    A drive-in movie theater would not interest me at all.

I think that would be extremely uncomfortable, and dangerous. Especially if you are with a lot of people. Sitting in a crowded car would be very annoying. Not to mention you would not be able to see the screen if you are in the back seat.

It would also be dangerous to be in a crowded location like that. A drive-in theater would have little security. That means anything can happen. I will have to pass on drive-in theaters. They are not for me.

5. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    I used to go to alot of drive in movie theaters, but nowadays they aren't around as much anymore- only 1 or 2 around where I live. They used to be really fun for me and family/friends, and it is pretty relaxing sitting in a large area while watching a movie. Its a shame that they lost their popularity so fast, as Qualitycontent said.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so few in existence anymore, I've almost forgotten what it was like to go to one. Actually I think it would be a great idea to bring these back, there are a number of benefits. For one, it's a great way of enjoying a movie without having to deal with loud talkers interrupting your movie. Also, you don't have to keep getting up to let others in your rows in and out. They would need to come up with a better way of laying out the parking lot though - perhaps only allowing vehicles of a certain height into certain sections so as not to block anyone else's view. Or maybe even come up with a terraced design for the parking lot that slopes down in steps.

If you think about it though, with all the wireless technology out there, it would be easy to broadcast the audio right into people's new cars via Wi-Fi or even let them stream it through headphones plugged into their smartphones. They could even order food from their phones and have it delivered to their cars.

I know many movie houses and drive ins are closing because they cannot afford the new digital projection equipment, but from what I've heard, it starts at about $70 grand. Surely they could make that back and then some if they did.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't have those here, and I've only ever seen these in movies, but whenever I do see it or get reminded of it like now, I feel jealous that it isn't available in my area. I think it would be a very fun experience, and it's probably a great break from traditional cinemas. The only thing I foresee that would bother me in a setup like this would be that I'd probably get my car a bit messed up due to the snacks being eaten inside. Otherwise, however, I still think it would be worth it.