Drive or Fly?

Discussion in Travel started by AutumnFaith2012 • Sep 15, 2012.

1. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    Which do you prefer - flying or driving? There's a lot of controversy on which is the cheaper option (when possible). Personally, I prefer to drive and take my time getting from one place to the next. There's so much to see in between! Sometimes driving is cheaper too! Here is a great web site to compare and find out which option is cheaper:

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I love driving of coarse it is a more active way to travel than to fly. Of coarse beautiful views could be find when you are up there but I like the experience of the wind flashing in my face while driving. Especially during summer. I really love driving when summer because the summer air just feels so different.

3. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the destination. Some places aren't very scenic so I don't want to waste my time driving and just want to get there. I usually prefer flying based on the locations I go but there are a lot of places I would like to go and I think driving would be the best option, like California.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I much prefer to drive - especially if we're going in our motor home, because then we can stop off when we want to. I hate all the waiting around at airports, the security checks, the way the check in girls look at you if you're a tenth of a kilogramme over the baggage allowance. Then there's the delays and cancellations. Give me my trusty motor home every time!

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on the destination of your choice. Each option has pros and cons. Personally, I prefer to enjoy every moment of the trip and always drive option provides more alternatives in this regard. When we fly, everything that happens along the way is ignored, while when we drive we can enjoy the landscape and experience something a little more personal. The majority of countries have very efficient routes systems that can travel throughout the territory. I don't know if there are many differences in the total cost, although we should consider a significant difference in the time. If we drive, everything has to be in a relaxed atmosphere, as the success of the trip depends on us. ;)

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Although flying around is the quickest mode of travel, it is also quite stressful, expensive and less fun. Driving is a great way to get to know the places along the way, stop for breaks and is also a cheaper mode of transport. Traveling by train is another favorite with me.

7. AnnieGreene

AnnieGreeneNew Member

Threads:
    We always drive when we can, but flying with the children is so much easier. It's like ripping off a band aid - it really hurts, but at least it's over with quick!

Our family has done the cross-Canada trip once, and the cross-USA trip twice, both by car. It was not a fun trip, but the children were all quite young. They were uncomfortable sitting in their car seats, and not at all interested in the many amazing sights we visited. We are planning another cross-USA trip in fall 2013, and I'm excited to see the difference travelling with children who are a bit older. Next time we are also going to do the entire perimeter of the USA, and are skipping the "middle", which might make for more interesting scenery and sights. I have already begun plotting out our drive on Google Maps, and this time am limiting our daily driving to 6 hours maximum. I'm also hoping to break up the long drive with 2 or 3 longer stops (2 or 3 night stays) along the way. Starting in Maine, looping down the East Coast, stopping at Disneyworld, across the Gulf of Mexico, camp at Galveston, Texas for a couple of nights, then over to California for a stop in Disneyland, then back up the West Coast to our new home near Vancouver Island.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this trip recently, or a portion of it, with your tips on good campgrounds, restaurants, and family activities.

8. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Cheaper? I have to say driving. For convenience then easily it would be air travel, except for the process of actually getting on the plane. I personally don't have a license or a passport so I can't travel anywhere, unfortunately. It sucks to be me.

However, I'd prefer to drive because it's more personal and I can have a lot more fun and see more sites!

9. guardianofhope

guardianofhopeNew Member

Threads:
    I love driving when I have the chance. Unfortunantly, my favorite vacation trips are to see my sister, who is currently in Hawaii. No driving there! I agree about driving, it's just very soothing to roll on down the road with the radio blaring, knowing where you'll end up, but not quite sure how you'll get there. One day, I'd like to do a Great American Road trip, just to say I did it.

10. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    It sort of depends on your gas mileage too. I drive a sports car, so I'm getting about 20 miles to the gallon on the highway. Also, a lot of hotels now charge daily parking fees, so you have to take that into consideration too.

11. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    You have to take into account how old and how many kids are in the car. Younger ones will require more frequent stops. I'd prefer flying if it's long distance with my baby.

12. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I rather drive than to fly, just terrified of heights and I am much comfortable with driving. Unless I have to go across the country.

13. applemango123

applemango123New Member

Threads:
    For me, I prefer to fly because I find the journeys in the car to be the worst of my life! There is never enough space being in the back seat cramped in with 2 other people and a ton of bags of shopping and holiday essentials that I can barely breathe. I much prefer to fly so I have my own space and especially in long hour flights have my own entertainment system instead of singing along to the radio at all hours in the car! So for me it is an easy decision!

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    A million times flying! I absolutely love planes. Even though I haven't traveled a lot, I just love them. Being up high and looking at the clouds as if they were gigantic cotton pillows and taking off and landing is, for me, just beautiful. I'm not taking into account my budget here, though, but if I had to go somewhere not really nearby and had enough money for a plane ticket, I'd fly!

15. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on where I am going, how quickly I need to get there, the costs involved for the journey, and how I am feeling during that moment when i am deciding. I like to fly is I am going great distances and don't have much time. I prefer to drive if I have all the time in the world and good company.

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It it is longer than 8 hours in the car, then I am flying. That is my rule of thumb. I can do 3 hour long drives in a breeze, but a 3 hour or less flight just seems like a hassle when you have to go through TSA and pay for extra baggage fees. I wanted to fly to vegas next month, but it is only a 1 hour flight and the bag fees are not worth it.

17. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I like flying a lot better, especially when I just want to get to my destination. It's easier too with a toddler. I do enjoy going on road trips occasionally, but I like to stop a lot. I will stop every night and stay in a hotel and stay around the area for a little bit and then move on. I cannot drive for long periods of time, it's too dangerous. I fall asleep in cars if I do for too long, even if I start off feeling wide awake. They just wear me out.

18. IvyBubbles

IvyBubblesNew Member

Threads:
    Driving can be really fun, especially that you can see the view and can make stops along the road. But it can also be tiresome and travel can be a bit lengthy. I guess, it depends on how far the destination is. I would prefer flying if it will take forever to drive.

19. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that flying in the best way to go. Flying to a location is a great experience and let's the person experience and see the world more. I feel that any person of any age would annoy the comforts of an airplane rather than sitting Ina stuffy car all day or for long periods of hours. I would personally always take the airplane if I had the financial opportunities. I hope that I as well as the majority of people will have this privilege in the near future.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends.

Usually I would rather fly in order to get there quickly and then have the time while I'm abroad to do other things. Sometimes, though, it's much cheaper to drive and if you have good company, then it's not so bad to be stuck in a car for that long.