Driving In The Rain

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Nov 15, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Driving in the rain can be as big a risk as driving in snow or ice. However, ironically, the method for safe driving in snow and ice works the same for the rain. As I noted in another thread, you simply drive slowly and keep from slamming on your breaks.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Unless it is necessary, I would totally avoid driving in rain. It is simply not worth the risk.

If there is no option then the tyres should have a good grip and one should drive slowly especially at night and on roads that may have animals dashing from one end to another.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    One can always save a lot of money by taking safety precautions in the rain because the cost for repair can be outrageous. Another way to save on repair costs is to study car repair. In that case, you cannot be ripped off by certain auto mechanics who prey on the ignorant. I would advise looking online or trying some self-help books at the bookstore. Already, I did some research myself on a messed up key ignition giving my family trouble.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, we do not have as much rain in our part of the country as some other parts but mostly during July and August. What I have noticed that the trend of rain is reducing for almost a decade now so when it used to rain almost 100 days in a year it has come down to 50-60 and that too with in lesser quantity of water. However, any weather that cuts visibility is dangerous for driving and in my case I find fog even more dangerous for driving purpose.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is good to be careful when driving more so in the rain. When you bus it's a different story. We have to watch out for large & dirty puddles that sprays at you. When puddles form on roadways big vehicles sprays it like a waterfall. I have seen some pitiful bus passengers get drenched this way. I had to walk once in a big puddle that went to my ankle to get to my destination. We have different problems when it rains when we ride the bus. I always hope safety will be the first concern for we have to walk a lot when we bus.

6. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Here, the biggest risk of driving in the rain is to get trapped in potholes which become invisible due to accumulated water. Anyway you cannot drive fast due to unrelenting traffic which worsen with the increase of every milliliter of rain. As you cannot drive fast so to get a skid might be a rarity but, driving a two wheeler could bring in fatality due to potholes.

7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Driving in the rain is definitely risky and I would avoid it if possible. While driving in rain I switch on the lights even during day time. Vehicle may lose stability after a certain point of speed and poor visibility make it worse. The roads become slippery if it rains after a long duration as dust and rain water forms a perfect layer where your vehicle can easily lose control.

To be frank I love driving during rains, but I avoid it keeping in mind the safety issues. I heard that during foggy days it is better to use yellow headlights for enhanced visibility. I don't know if it works in rainy season too.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I personally have always been afraid to drive in the rain so if it is necessary I will always drive slow. I remember I used to drive in freeway while it was raining when I used to have to get to work in a hurry but I was so nervous the entire time. One must always need to remember to check their tires and keep their lights on during a rainy day.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If it's light rain, you can usually drive normally but a bit more carefully. If it's heavy rain, that's when the dangers start. Your view is impaired and the streets are slippery. All you have to do is drive slowly and carefully and hope the people around you are doing the same. Sometimes, if it gets too bad, it's best to park your car somewhere safe for a while and let the rain subside. It's better to be safe than sorry.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe it is because of climate change that rains here are usually heavy that cause visibility zero when driving. In cases like that, I would pull over instead of exposing our car to probable accident. And when there is a flooded road, I turn off the air conditioner to prevent a short circuit in the electrical system of the car.