Drugstores prices

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Jul 15, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I went to a drugstore to buy dental floss. The man handed me the floss, I looked at the price and it was 1.15€ more expensive than the exact same floss in a drugstore across the street. I asked the guy, why are your products so expensive here? He told me that they buy small quantities, but I didn't believe him, should I? Either cases, I went to buy across the street of course...

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    In my town, Drugstore prices vary at different locations. I notice the further I travel, the cheaper the prices are for the same items. He may be telling the truth in terms of the store buying in small quantities, especially if it is an item that doesn't sell in high volume week by week.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a large city and the prices don't tend to deviate more than $.25 because I think if they did people would definitely go to the less expensive store. In the heart of the city there can be several drugstores on each block so I think they really serve as a checks and balances for each other because they are forced to remain competitive.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, he just might be telling the truth, but it's a little absurd, if the stores are just across the street, how can one of them have a superior volume of sales that justifies such a big price difference? I mean, it's around 30%, it's a lot. I just feel they are greedy and unprofessional by putting up those prices and they have lost a customer.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, I hear that so often. If there are any questions about the price, and as to why the prices of the same product are higher in one store than in another just nearby, I always get told that the supplier has to be blamed, or the higher costs for ordering small quantities.
    In the end, like most other people, I will go to the place where I get the better prices.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is amazing how prices for the same item can be so different. I live in a large city, if I go to the Dollar Store the item is $1 if I go to Walgreen's it is double that or more. For certain items I only go to the Dollar Store to get because it is the same product, same label higher price at other stores. There are some products I will pay the higher price for because it is a better quality, like toilet paper from the Dollar Store is small you pay more per unit used than if you got a good quality toilet paper.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So I am a stubborn guy and yesterday I went yet to another drugstore close to those two and to my surprise the prices were even higher what was a shocker. That first drugstore has the best prices indeed and I will start to buy everything there, the thing is that sometimes we don't even notice price difference in drugstores, but it's huge!

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, at least you now know that the store nearest your place is the one that has the lowest prices. I guess you won't have to go further when buying stuff or medicines then. Maybe the other stores are just renting their place, that's why their prices are expensive.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it could be true. When a store buys a smaller quantity of products they pay higher prices, but that also has it deal with the deal you make with the supplier. I would also go across the street and buy the cheapest one!

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is true, nothing like asking around so that we know our prices better, but it's really surprising such a huge difference in prices. I am happy I don't need to buy medicines that often these days, not only they are a big expense I am now suspicious of the price differences, I will start paying more attention to that in the future.