Dry Clean Only

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy dry clean only clothing? I have heard there are some dry cleaning alternatives you can use at home, but I'm fairly nervous to try those. I wouldn't want to ruin an expensive piece of clothing. I tend to avoid dry clean only items. For one thing, because of the expense of dry cleaning, but also because there isn't a good dry cleaner nearby. I prefer things I can launder myself. What about you guys?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dry cleaning can put me off items I would use a lot because of the expense, but for a special item it would be worth it. I once had and still have suede trousers, but the dry cleaning cost me more than I paid for them. Leather I tend not to clean as much, but I would not buy suede again. I usually save my items for a multi clean offer, 4 items for the price of 3 to make it more cost effective.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually do dry cleaning myself since there are not much of my clothes that need it, so if there are few of them or the suits, I just bring them to the laundry shop, and have them dry cleaned there, and then that's it. The cost isn't that expensive since I only do it in very rare special occasion. Not as frequent as I wash my regular clothes.

4. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Dry cleaning is not something I could do on my own, and I have to wait a couple of days before the laundry team could pick up my clothes for processing. I would not avoid buying dry clean only clothes just because it's hard to do. I won't recommend it, because not all of my clothes need to be dry cleaned. So if I did purchase any clothes that are to be dry cleaned only, I would have to schedule the dry cleaning. I didn't usually buy clothes based on their washing preferences, as far as I remember. Still, some clothes that are made of delicate fabric or are for special events would require additional cleaning services.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid dry clean only clothing, I'm also weary of at home alternatives and spending that much money only to ruin the clothing item in an attempt to wash it. But I honestly can't be bothered, between extra time and money, to have dry cleaning only items. So even if I really like an item, it being dry clean only is enough to turn me off to it 99% of the time.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, I love dry cleaning my clothes, because I know that I don't want to iron an entire wardrobe. I can see where one would look at the money of doing it, but I look at how much time I would have to spend tending to my own clothes and it doesn't balance out or tilt in my favor, so off to the dry cleaner they go.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to buy dry clean only clothes because I know I won't spend the time dropping it off. I prefer for my clothes to be easy to take care of. If I had a particularly nice piece I would have it dry cleaned so that it will last longer.

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I don't personally buy dry clean only clothes, because it isn't worth the hassle for one or two dresses or shirts. Also - I find that dry cleaning for women's clothing is more expensive than men's. On the other hand, my husband regularly dry cleans his dress shirts, even though they are completely washable and "wrinkle free."

Neither one of us wants to iron. He'll wash, dry, and hang up his dress shirts for about a month, and then about once a month he pays to have them all dry cleaned and pressed. It is cheap enough that it makes it totally worth it. His shirts seem to last longer and look better.

He also has to dry clean his suits, but again, there are so many deals at local cleaners that the expense doesn't kill us.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to keep away from it as much as possible but it's sometimes unavoidable as most formal clothing require dry cleaning. I am thinking that maybe steam cleaners would make for a good compromise in this case though and if ever I had a phase of needing formal clothing regularly again I'll probably just turn to this product or at least I'll try it out first.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Dry cleaning chemicals make me itch really, really bad. I can't wear something close to my skin if it has been dry cleaned. I do not buy anything that is dry clean because I also can not afford to have it done. My wool coat I got in I don't want to admit the year has never been cleaned... I should probably do that eventually but I don't have any money right now. It might actually be cheaper for me to pick up a jacket at Goodwill than get my coat cleaned :(

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to avoid dry cleaning only clothes. But most of the blouses or dresses that I like were dry clean only. I found an affordable and reliable cleaner so I don't mind it so much. I don't have to worry about hand washing something or even ironing my clothes. I really hate ironing.

Dry cleaning seems to make my clothes last longer. That's an extra perk.