Dumpster Dive. Would You?

Discussion in Freebies and Giveaways started by Deeishere • Mar 1, 2016.

1. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Would you consider dumpster diving for free stuff? After reviewing some You Tube videos, it seems to be easy and is not as gross as it sounds. This one lady goes to local offices and retail shops. She has recovered boots, cases of drinks, clothing, and office supplies. I saw this one guy was able to get cans of tuna, lots of Christmas items and games from an electronic store. One guy was able to get a chair (still in the box). Some people make a steady income by taking these items and re-selling it. For me, it just seems like too much work and a dirty job.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't dumpster dive per se, but back home, people typically put out their heavy trash a night or two before the actual trash collection, in order to give people time to go through it. I think it helps that it's often nicely placed against the curbs (except in the winter), so there's no actual diving into a dumpster, which in my opinion would be pretty icky. I have picked up a few pieces of furniture in this manner, but not for a long time, since I don't currently need furniture. Here in my current neighborhood, we tend to offer free items on the 'hood Facebook page. If there are no takers, I'll list it on Freecycle/TrashNothing.

Speaking of dumpster diving, I lived at an apartment complex years back, and one time when I was cleaning out my vehicle, I accidentally tossed my keys into the dumpster. I'm pretty short, and couldn't even see into the dumpster to get an idea of where exactly the keys fell, nor how disgusting the contents were. While I was pondering my predicament, one of the maintenance guys happened by, and asked what was wrong. He was a super sweet, helpful guy, and promptly hopped into the dumpster and retrieved my keys. I thanked him profusely, and let the management office know how much I appreciated his assistance. He'll always hold a special place in my heart for that (in my opinion heroic) act.

3. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane How kind of the janitor to retrieve your keys. I agree that I think it’s kind of gross to go through people’s trash. I think that because of all the items that we discard. Now a business is different since more than likely they will be discarding things they won’t sell anymore. Either way, it’s just not for me to do.

#3Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I won the gold for springboard dumpster diving in the college town of Ames, Iowa. Actually, there is no medal but it is a college town. This means lots of delinquent renters who get kicked out of their apartments possibly, leaving campus without returning. All their furniture gets chucked into the bins outside. So yes, I have apartment dived and it is well worth it. The only challenge is getting the heavier items out of the dumpsters which can be pretty deep. For newbie shallow diving, it is recommended to go the night before a morning pick up. This way, the big items might be resting on top of garbage. And that way the stuff on top isn't too stinky from empty pizza boxes. Since most apartment complexes keep up with their trash there isn't a lot of rodents you have to look out for, but I would beware of diving when it gets too dark for this reason. Take a flash light!

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't jump into a dumpster to retrieve something but here in this community, we don't have a regular trash pick up. The members of the community take their trash to local dumpsters. People generally put the items they don't want and others might be able to use on the outside of the dumpster. I have personally gotten an aquarium with all the supplies, a free bookcase, a very nice rug, and maybe one or two other items. I think it is well worth doing.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think I would do any dumpster diving. In my neighborhood, people do go around the day before trash pick up and go through the garbage looking for metal or anything else of value. I have heard people who do dumpster diving and find some really good items, but it is just not something for me.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not really gotten into a dumpster but I have taken items placed on the curb when people are moving out of their homes. It is amazing what you can find people throwing away. There is a facebook group for dumpster diving that show you what the people have gotten from different stores and they sell their goodies.