Dyeing Clothes To "resurrect" Them

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Aug 24, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless you are a hippie then I'm sure wearing faded clothes isn't something that you'd want to do too often. Since there are some clothes whose colors fade quickly you'd be stuck with clothes that you can't wear in your closet.

The easy way to fix this is dyeing them clothes and doing it again and again until the [clothes] are worn out. Dyes are relatively cheap and dyeing clothes is very easy too.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do this as a teen, but it can get messy, but if it's favorite item of clothing it's worth it. The best way to avoid fading is not to use tumble dryers, and if you dry outside in the sun, turn your clothes inside out as you hang them and bring them in as soon as they are dry.

Prevention is better than cure at times if you can help it.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do this with black leggings and vest tops. They do fade with time, especially if they are often hung outside to dry in the sun so every so often, I like to refresh their colour with a basic black dye that can be used in the washing machine.

Word of advice, always remember to flush the washing machine through after you've finished dyeing!

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have taken to dying clothes that I still like that have lost their spark but are still in good shape. I actually observe most of the pointers you guys suggested, to ensure I get a lot of use out of my clothes. We can't have a washing machine as we have no room, so I have a lady come in every second Saturday and she hand washes my clothes, and hangs them outside, inside out. But I also tell her to hang them in the shade so the harsh Botswana sun doesn't fade the colour.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    This is something that I have intended to do for a long time. Can this also work if I want to dye an old shirt a different color? I actually have anfew shirts that I want to dye a different color than their original one. I think their style would be better in a new color.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have dyed my clothes that have faded when the material is still in good condition. Often bleach gets on the clothes and mess up the color, that is a good time to dye something.. I get clothes from the 2nd hand store and if I do not like the color I will dye it to a color I like.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree this is an excellent and very inexpensive way of not only giving new life to faded clothes - but also for rejuvenating your wardrobe - as just changing the color of an item will more often than not make it look and feel like brand new.

In fact this is something that we have to do often where I live - as unless you never go outdoors or always only wear light colors - its an inevitable fact of life that clothes fade whilst they are being worn - due to the 12 hours of intense sunlight we experience here.

Fortunately - although I did used to do the dyeing myself - I've found that its actually way more cost effective to get it done at the laundry or the dry cleaners - as the small price they charge is well worth it - as not only does it avoid the mess - but the dye is generally more stable and less likely to run every time the garment is washed.

8. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I don't generally dye clothes, unless I've had that item of clothing for many years and it was expensive or it's one of my favourite items. I have tried it out a few times though, mainly with a few pieces of my black clothing since they seem to fade quickly, and it actually works really well. It's a really cheap and easy way to revive clothing which doesn't look the same any more!

9. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Well dyes come in different brands and price points. truth is the less expensive the dye, the quicker it's going to fade, the sooner you'll need to re-dye, the more you end up spending. More expensive dye ends up being better in the long run. Also, the dyes you add ash to are also better than the dye you don't.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends what it is, and what is wrong with it really. If it's a top you've worn a lot and just fancy a change with then yes, dyeing it could be a good idea. However, if you were thinking about getting rid of it due to the fact that it is looking worn then perhaps dye wouldn't help all that much. But if you just want some new clothes then it might definitely be a better idea to try and give your current ones a new lease of life if you can, as this will work out a lot cheaper in the long term.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My mom does this! I had a pair of faded black pants that I loved so much. I asked her if she can do anything about them, and she told me to buy some pouches of dye. Voila! After a few hours, my pants look brand new again.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a great idea! I plan on dying by jeans next week, a friend taught me how to do it and it sounds very cheap and easy to do. I'm hoping I don't make that much of a mess with it, I guess I need to experiment and see how it goes!

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine has been doing this for years with his jeans - not necessarily because they are old and faded, but rather because he likes to color them to his liking. So he might buy a lighter colored pair of jeans and dye them to some hue of blue or black that he likes. I always thought it was rather strange since jeans already come in a variety of blues and blacks, but so be it, lol.

Personally, dyeing things wouldn't work well for most of what I wear. I wear a lot of stripes and plaid shirts, which obviously wouldn't work well with a dye. And for dress pants and jeans, I would be apprehensive about the dye not being absorbed evenly, due to perhaps body oils and other oils that might be present in the pants. I would be scared of them coming out all blotchy, and then I definitely couldn't wear them out in public. Plus my pants tend to get a lot of wear and tear around the seams at the bottoms of my pants, from dragging on the ground a bit, and dyeing obviously won't fix that.

14. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought of this. It is an idea worth considering. Dye can be pretty tricky though and one would need to know how to lock the dye in, so it wouldn't be fading off on everything.
    When my black clothes get dull, I put a small amount of vinegar in the wash load, and it revives the color.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've thought of doing this to several tops. It seems like an inexpensive way to maintain or have new tops by changing the colour. One is brown and think it would look great navy blue. It would go with more things in my closet. I really want to try it but don't know if the blue will work over a light brown. I'm wondering if you have to bleach the top white first then dye it. Now it's starting to sound like a lot of work.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Great idea dying your clothes to save them. I don't like white colored clothes, but I got some t-shirts that were white for gifts. I looked at it went window shopping and found dyes to change the look of the t-shirts. When I dyed the t-shirts it came out light, but it wasn't white any more and I was happy with the outcome. I like your idea of saving old clothes to make them look new! Thanks!!!