Dyeing Your Hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Corzhens • Jul 3, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband and I are needing a dye every now and then. A dye job in the parlor costs $10 plus tip and that excludes the cost of dye (I usually bring my own bottle). In the barber shop, the cost is a bit lower. But come to think of it, we can dye our own hair, right? So I give my husband's hair the dye and he dyes my hair in return. That practically saves us almost $20 for every month or so.

To stretch it, we taught our housemaids to do the dyeing. Maybe the parlor attendants were wondering why I don't get a dye job from them anymore. We started the home dyeing last year.

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    My mother perform some dye jobs at her owned local hairdressing saloon. She usually buy all the related materials wholesale and charges 8$ plust tip for dyeing with her hair dye bottles, although she charges less when people come with their own bottles.

3. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, here in States, the least it costs me to get my hair dyed is $65. That includes the dye, but honestly, that's a cheap price. Normally, I would pay more than that. Granted, I do have shoulder-length hair, but I wish I could pay prices similar to what other members have reported. I am in desperate need of a dye job right now and am planning on doing this one at home. When I buy the dye in the store and do it myself, it will cost me a fraction of the cost. I usually spend $10-$20 when I do it myself. I am never as happy with the results and I don't think the dye lasts as long, but I can afford to do it much more often!

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't consider dyeing my hair due to my strong religious convictions. I consider it to be an additional and unnecessary cost though I make an effort to understand that greying of hair comes with insecurities related to approaching old age. I usually have a clean shave. As for women, investing in elegant but modest headgear would solve alot of cash used for dyeing hair. I have also seen some information that vinegar obscures grey hair when it is washed in it.

5. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    When I wanted crazy colors in my hair, I needed it professionally bleached first. However, this is way too expensive for me now.

I switch between having black hair and letting my natural color grow back out. When I want black hair, I do it myself with some Feria dye from the drugstore. My hair is pretty short and easy to cover in the dye, and I haven't had any problems!

6. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    I've been considering dyeing my hair a loud color for some time. I really wanted to dye my full head either a lighter, pastel purple with dark roots or a deep, rich purple. As much as I'd love to do it, it costs so much to get it professionally done where I'm from. I don't quite have the money for that at the moment, so until then, I think I will just leave it how it is. I have thought about dyeing it myself, but I don't know how to dye my hair correctly, and I would hate for something bad to happen that would force me to go to the salon to get it fixed (that's just more money down the drain).

Any suggestions for at-home dye though? I suppose I could always try dyeing my ends first to see how I like it...

7. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I've only dyed my hair twice.The first time it was because I was in Mexico and I wanted a new look so I went ahead and got some red highlights. Needless to say, it was cheaper to do it there than here in the States. When I returned to the states, I wanted to go back to my natural hair color so I just went to Wal-Mart, bought the black hair dye and had my mom dye my hair for me. Since I wasn't doing anything fancy with it, everything went well. I haven't dyed my hair in a few years and I don't think I will anytime soon. While it would be nice to change my hair color or add some highlights, I think I'll stick with how it is naturally for now.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't started to dye my hair yet, but I am planning to when the whites in my hair get too obvious to be seen at 1st glance. I don't even want to go to the parlor because I know that it's expensive, so I would dye my hair on my own for sure.

9. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I have tried dying my hair with dime store box color. The first couple of dyes turned out wonderful. However the color would fade and change, so when my roots grew out, if I only retreated the roots, the rest of the hair would be several shades lighter or redder. (I always go darkest brown, which seems to fade to reddish brown.) So by the time I re-colored the faded parts over and over, it eventually started breaking. I am currently letting some grey grow out just to have more hair. I have been researching henna, which comes out a vibrant red but can then be covered with a dark indigo color to turn it a darker color. It sounds like it is a two step process that takes hours and hours, an is a temporary color. I have also read some unlucky people are allergic. It seems a little more expensive, and more time consuming, and maybe even needing a little more skill than the very tempting box color from the dime store. However I can't afford to lose any more hair to breakage. If anyone knows of a gentler dye solution I would love to know what it is. My hair is very fine and thin anyway, so this breakage is probably not as much of a problem for those of you with thicker stronger hair. My hair is kind of baby thin and straight anyway, so a little breakage ends up showing quite a lot.

10. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    My mom colors her hair every two months so it won't thin out too fast. She usually buys the hair color while I put the dye on her hair. In the future, I'm planning to have my hair colored as well. I want to be a dark redhead. I've always loved that color.

11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    I am glad that up to now I had a dark black hair but my husband had already white hair that is why he was dyeing his hair if it is visible already. He always go to a barber shop to do the dyeing but since it is a little bit expensive here in our place he lets her older sister to do it for him already. Then later my sister in law taught me how to do it that is why now I am the one who is dyeing his hair.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too I haven't started dyeing my hair and grey's that I notice is right now my frame of my face so it's visible and I've long hair so you can't miss it. My Mom was dying her hair all by herself and it's a messy job but saves money. She decided to let it go grey now since she retired in 2007. I don't think I'll dye my hair though for it's too much of a mess for me to do.

13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have never dyed my hair before so I don't know the average cost of getting it done in a salon. Though buying the dye and doing it yourself does sound cheaper. I don't think consumer grade hair dyes are meant to last as long as professional graded ones. Sometimes you may need a license of some type to buy the professional grade. Having a family member or friend to help out is cheaper even if they do ask for a little change.

14. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I dye and cut my own year and have for years, however I am not very concerned about my hair and what it looks like as long and its out of my face and up. I dye my hair about ever 3 months maybe longer just when I feel like it. I cut my hair about every month (usually just a trim), I also layer my own hair (I have really thick hair). Last week I decided it as to long and hot and cut about 7 inches off. I usually just dye my hair or cut it depending on weather and how I feel. I save money by dying and cutting my own hair.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been a huge fan of doing a home dye job, because it can get very messy. I've also seen people who've done it themselves and it always seems to turn out patchy, not quite the look I'm going for LOL

Anyway, recently I decided to do it myself, so I bought a burgundy henna hair dye and set about doing it myself at home. Eh, to my horror, my hair turned out PITCH black, the very colour I wanted to be rid of!! I was absolutely GUTTED because I much prefer lighter colours. So I had to go to my pricey hairdresser to have him correct my botched dye job, and it cost a pretty penny :( So I don't know if I'll ever try it again.

16. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    No i never use to die my hairs but yes i do prefer to my all friends to not to do this but i would say that hair that information is shared by all of you is quite impressive and i would love to suggest my sis to join this community as she really loves to do that and also really passionate my passion is different. LOL

17. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I have been dying my hair for almost ten years now, and I usually do it at home to save money, but I wish I had the ability to do it professionally more often. Red colors are much more difficult to maintain and I end up having to do it more often. Does anyone else find that the roots always come out much brighter when you go with a lighter color? I end up having damaged ends much quicker than I would deem is normal. My hair also dries out very quickly, and I think it is a side effect from boxed dye. I love having red hair though, and the few times I have gone back to my natural color I just haven't felt the same.

What tricks do you use to keep the color longer?

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG whysewserious, you're absolutely right!!! I dyed my hair burgundy about 2 weeks ago, but this morning I was shocked to observe the roots already seem to be coming through!! I mean, I wouldn't mind so much, but this was a very expensive dye job done at a posh salon?!? I don't have any experience with a full head of dyed hair, because I usually opt for highlights because they are kinder on your hair and those usually last ages. So to say I'm gutted would be putting it mildly :(

19. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I wish hair dye jobs were $10 plus tip near me. They are more like $60 for a dye and cut near me. I buy the $2.99 box of Revlon at my local Walmart and do it myself. I have been dying my hair for the past few years because I am started to go grey! Nooo! :eek:

20. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I also dye each other's hair because it's expensive to have it done in the salon. It saves us a lot because we usually take advantage of the buy-one-take-one promos in stores. We dye our hair twice or three times in a year depending on how the color would last but the color usually lasts for months.