E-Bay or Craiglist — Which One Is Better?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Oct 29, 2014.

1. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    Depends on the situation...also if you are buying or selling. I've had a much easier time selling things on Craigslist than I have on eBay. I list it, I get an e-mail, they come to the house, purchase it and take it with them. Easy as pie!

Buying - I've made multiple purchases on eBay and really like the quality of the stuff that they have - especially if you are looking for electronics that are refurbished.

Know what you are looking for - if you are looking to buy baby items - I'd use Craigslist because you can look at the item and use it to see if you want to purchase it and there is always an opportunity to negotiate with the seller when meeting face to face. eBay you lose that, there is no negotiation - there is a bid process, but most people hit "Buy it Now" because they don't want to wait 6 days for the auction to end.

Good Luck

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only purchased on Craigslist but I do sell on Ebay and have purchased a few items on Ebay. I don't like the shipping fee's on Ebay but part of doing business. I usually look for cars and housing on Craigslist, I maybe missing some good buys in my local area.

3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    Maybe it's silly of me, but I've always thought that Craigslist was really sketchy and creepy. I've had a lot of success buying things on eBay over the past year or so as well as selling some things lately over the past couple of years, so I'll definitely go with eBay over Craigslist. The only time I've ever actually been on Craigslist is when I was looking for a car for my brother and I to buy together about a year ago or so.

4. MLNewkirk

MLNewkirkNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer eBay mainly because you see ratings of other buyers and sellers. I've had bad experiences through Craigslist dealing with unruly customers. There have even been times when I received bounced checks then lost contact with the buyer. With eBay, I've never had a negative experience.

5. Epicfied

EpicfiedMember

Threads:
    I definitely think it depends on the situation. Craigs List is nice if you're looking locally, especially for things like cars or bigger items...things I'd rather pick up. Ebay, on the other hand, is better for longer distance and things you don't mind shipping. Always be careful on picking up items though. I'd suggest taking someone with you. If you're looking at items like cars, make sure someone's there you know you can trust to check it out.

6. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    Well for local purposes I would say Craigslist but for national selling Ebay wins. Now when I buy, I rather use Ebay for the most part. I can find what I need much easier on EBay. Shipping is also reasonable on Ebay.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, there is convenience of using Craigslist becasue it can be done locally. But entered at your own risk because you never know who you are dealing with there as a customer. Ebay has more safeguards in place becasue of the reviews that sellers get. Although, do customers get reviews thee, I don't think so, but there are restrictions in place about making sure that the money comes in. The problem with Ebay is its harder when shipping larger items. So both websites have their pros and their cons about selling stuff on them. Another suggest would be have a yard sale or put up a sign that something is for sell for a certian price. I have done this in the past you do get people interested, but again be careful because you don't know who you are dealing with.