E-Books vs Paperbacks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by A.P.W. • Oct 8, 2012.

1. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    What do you think about E-books, can they ever totally replace the paperbacks, if so, which do you prefer?
    I tend to go for the e-books rather than the paper/hard backs these days, but there is so much more you can do with an e-player. you can hold a virtual library right at your fingertips. What is the best option?

2. sir save a lot

sir save a lotNew Member

Threads:
    I know that many of you are going to say the E-Book, and I am also sure that they are going to in time replace paper books for many applications. For me, the answer will always be a paper book. I like the feel of a book, its smell, and the feeling of having something in my hand. Also with a paper book I do not have to worry about running low on batteries. This could be a real issue in case of a hurricane or other natural disaster.

For me the biggest worry though is that of ownership and control. I remember reading a story about an E-book that was deleted overnight by a company (I believe it was Kindle, but might be mistaken) because somebody was selling the book without permission or something else along the same lines. Now here is my worry about an E-book. What happens if a book is published that is critical of the publishers parent company? How do I know that my book might not be edited without my consent or even deleted without my consent?

What is to stop the government from banning this book at some later date and deleting my copy overnight? I have enough worries about big brother watching us then to give them the power to control what I read like that. Not to even mention the fact that it could be very easy for somebody to track what I am reading in this way.

For all of these reasons and more, I do not have an E-book and have no plans to get one. I will live out the rest of my days with paper books in my hand, happy to have them. I would worry that at some point in the future they will stop printing paper books, and maybe they will. However I have shelves filled with books, many I have never read. I also tend to stick to classics more then new books, so my need for buying more is very limited.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I really love the feel of a book in my hands, and to turn the pages as I go. I have read books on an e-reader, because that was the only option available, but I really don't enjoy the experience so much. If I missed something in a book, or I want to re-read a particular section, it's much easier to flip back a few pages than to scroll back on an e-reader.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In my country access to the E-book is still a bit restricted and its popularity hasn't grown. Beyond that, I have a divided opinion about it. I enjoy traditional literature (fiction, biographies, novels, short stories, etc.) in the classic format, the book we have in our hands and we can manipulate at will. The sensation of turning the pages, or the perfume of paper are unsurpassed. In another sense, I use the alternative e-book when I read research papers, popular articles, professional journals and documents related to my professional profile and work. My friends share a similar idea to mine. However, I believe that in the future the two systems will coexist harmoniously.

5. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'm another one who still stands strongly with the physical book! I just prefer having something physical in my hands, something that I can interact with, smell and sense. While there are many others who adore the e-book for the convenience it gives them, such as having their entire library with them on the go, I just feel that technology cannot completely replace the experience that a physical paperback gives us. Another reason for me preferring to stick to paperbacks is because I enjoy collecting the books that I've read and going through them occasionally. I guess the choice between a physical book and and e-book now boils down to personal preference and the fact that there are increasingly lesser bookstores does not help physical book lovers like myself. It just drives up the prices of the books and makes reading which was once a hobby shared by people from all walks of life, irregardless of financial status, into an activity that only those with cash to spare can afford. That to me is saddening.

6. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    I used to be a big fan of dead-tree books, but since I got my Kindle Fire, I have to say that I prefer e-books now. It's really a matter of convenience now. The only traditional books that I currently buy are photo books, and non-fiction books which I really need to be able to markup and take apart for work purposes. I find that a lot of people are in the same boat that I'm in. Another benefit of e-books has been the reduced price. I buy many more books than I did a year ago -- finding time to read them all is another story completely :D .

7. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't read a paper book for years. All my reading needs are met by digital books, mainly in pdf format. This saves me a lot of storage space and money. All the information I need now is available for free. It's just a matter of knowing where to look for it.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a very tactile person. I love the feel of a paperback book in my hands. It adds to my reading experience. I know that ebooks are the wave of the future, but I not happy about it. The only plus side is that ebooks save a lot of trees.

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    My husband got me a Samsung galaxy for Christmas last year and since then I have bought 90% of my leisure reading materials in eBook form. It’s cheaper and more convenient because I have more than a hundred books downloaded in my tab and I can choose a book according to my mood. The problem would be power, once the power is drained your hundred books are for all intents and purposes useless.

10. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer the paper backs because i get tired of looking at a screen and i don't like having to worry about if i'm in the middle of a really good book than it freezes so i have to restart or anything like that. I have tried the ebooks and they just don't do it for me i like my paperbacks i feel it's better and easier.

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    They can totally replace paperbacks. In fact, it would be very economical to be reading e-books instead of choosing between paperbacks or hardcover books to carry each time I go out. I would usually end up not carrying any books anyways nowadays. And then I would look for a bookstore at the destination and begin my day with a purchase. With e-books, I would just download what I want.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer ebooks because they're free and they don't take up any physical space in the house. Books can be expensive depending on the title, so I would rather save my money. Nowadays, I only buy the books that I can't find online.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pff, what a pirate! :p
    I usually buy books that I care about, because it's just nicer to have them in paper. And also feels good to supporrt the writer. $20 for a book that lasts me 7-30 hours is a pretty reasonable price.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that there is a place for each one. If you are traveling (especially when flying somewhere) then have a small Kindle or other e-reader is perfect, in my opinion. It can hold more than enough books to make sure you don't run short of something good to read while on the trip, and no matter how long the book is, it doesn't take up any room at all when it is on the Kindle.
    However, I still think that having a library is important, especially of reference books, such as health and nutrition, as an example. It is much easier (for me, at least) to find something that i have highlighted in a regular paper book, when I can just go to the contents find the right chapter, and skim through the pages looking for the correct highlighted area.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I am a loud and proud pirate, lol! :D But to be fair, I used to buy my Sweet Valley's and Archie's when ebooks were not popular. I was even buying magazines quite often during a teen before! But now that it's free, I think it's not wrong to get what is being offered for free right? :p After all, I still buy books when I can't find it online. Like right now, I can't find a certain ebook, so now I am forced to buy the paper version. Luckily, the book is only $9, the last one I bought was $20! ;)

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it definitely is wrong, but what can you do. It's not like we all don't pirate. I pirate some of the books too, because I can't buy 10 $10-20 books per month either. :(

17. Carissa A Jones

Carissa A JonesNew Member

Threads:
    I joined the e-book world a few years ago. My husband bought me a Nook for my birthday and I couldn't have been happier.

I used it a total of 5 times, at the most.

There is nothing like holding the book in your hands. To me, it completes the whole reading experience.

Nothing wrong with e-books, my kids love them, and as a mom, its easier to have the books on one device, instead of scattered all over the place, but for me, there is nothing like holding the real thing. :)

Books over e-books!

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In future I think the traditional publishing companies may opt to try something different. They'll not print any books unless a customer desires to buy [a printed] book from them.

Or maybe they may print fewer books since more people will be reading ebooks.

19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, I'm not really a fan of E-Books. I just couldn't stand reading both fiction and non-fiction using my laptop computer or my smartphone. I would still go with paperbacks.

20. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I believe they can coexist in harmony. Everyone has their preferences. BUT I wonder if there will be a future point when physical books increase in value because of the resources needed. Trees are renewable and there are other options besides trees for paper but if those things get scarce, paper physical books might become a lot more expensive very quickly.