E-Books vs Paperbacks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by A.P.W. • Oct 8, 2012.

1. Maciej

MaciejNew Member

Threads:
    So for very long time I only read conventional books. The reason was very simple - I didn't have access to e-readers. But it all changed when my dad, an avid reader who reads about one book a day) bought himself a Kindle. I immediately fell in love with it. I was never that much into mobile technology but Kindle was a dream-come-true. I study in one city but travel home a lot and since I bought myself one e-book reader I never have to carry heavy books again. Also, reading in dark light hurts your eyes a lot but with most of todays reader that's no longer a problem!

2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    I invest on paperbacks, harbounds and ebooks. They are all equally a must-have in my long list of wants. But I have more paperbacks and hardbound books in my library than in my ebook Kindle library.

I read each book depending on my need and mood. I love research with a passion! As if my life depended on this enjoyable activity! :)

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I can't get into e-books. I try to read them online on my library's website and can only take a few chapters at a time. I find that I read faster with a book and not so much with an e-book. I just strain my eyes looking at a screen all of the time.

4. Aurelia

AureliaNew Member

Threads:
    While I really love paperbacks, I use my ereader far more often than I read a physical copy of a book. I live in an apartment and have to share bookshelf space with my boyfriend who also loves to read. I read a lot, and so I only have room for the books that I absolutely couldn’t bear to be without. Having an ereader makes it easier for me to read multiple books on public transportation, and since it has a backlight on it I can read in bed while my boyfriend is asleep. The only problem is when I forget to charge it and it dies when I’m far away from an outlet!

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's a right or wrong option per see, it's all dependent on each individual's taste. I like both paperbacks and eBooks, but I think the latter has the edge. I haven't bought a physical book in ages. I like the accessibility, the convenience of storage and the fact that eBooks tend to be cheaper or even free. If I really like a book, especially if it's an autobiography/biography, I may have it in both formats. I don't see physical books going obsolete any time soon, although I agree with Feneth, I can see them becoming more expensive in the future.

6. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I'd prefer paperbacks over ebooks every time. Nothing compares to old school reading- the smell of the pages from a book is one of my most favorite scents! Although I agree that ebooks are convenient and can be brought anywhere and read anytime, reading from a paperback leaves me more attached to the story because I am able to feel the pages as I flip through the story. An ebook will never give me that same feeling as a paperback does.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of e-books at all and prefer a traditional book every time. Reading a screen just isn't the same and seeing as I spend a large portion of my day at a computer anyhow, I much prefer to look at a book when I want to read for pleasure.

8. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've always thought that ebooks are superior for my reading needs. I don't like clutter, and having a bunch of books would create it since I have limited space in my house. That's why having so many books in digital format is great. I get to have all my books with me in a single device and they don't create any clutter.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like them all, but there’s nothing like holding a book in my hands. The feel of the paper, the aesthetics of the covers, they make me feel more like I’m really experiencing the words and the stories. I do appreciate the convenience aspect of e-books; they definitely win as far as space goes, and I have a growing number of them myself for this reason. But I lean more toward real books.