Easiest fruit/ veg to grow

Discussion in Home & Garden started by lizzief79 • Nov 7, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of growing some fruit and veg to save money. I am not the best gardener, so I need some suggestions fo which are the easiest ones to grow. I only have a small garden, but I could grow some things in containers in the conservatory. I live in the UK so something that suits this climate would be good. Any ideas?

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I think the easiest to grow is mung beans, you can just literally throw it on the ground/soil water it and it will grow in a couple of days. It will grow sprouts even if you just leave them in a bowl of water. :D
    121613-425x282-Mungbeans.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it's okra. I had troubles growing vegetables before because birds eat the seedlings. I planted tomatoes and eggplants, and I failed. When I planted okras, I was able to grow them all. Their leaves are like rough, so I guess that's the reason why birds hate them.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Okra is something that I hadn't even considered. Then again, it is not something I really eat. I might have to give this a try and find out if the children like it. I think it is something that I could include in some of the dishes i cook. I hadn't thought of mung beans either, although I did consider runner beans. Mung beans sound easier though.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably suggest bean sprouts, or bell peppers/chilli. Fruit in general is much harder to grow and may attract pests more easily. If you're interested in growing herbs as well, I've found them to be much hardier, fresh basil in particular tastes much better than its dried counterpart and is really easy to grow.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The easiest fruit to grow is mango over here as the climate is very tropical and good. The only disadvantage of growing mango is it is a seasonal fruit and I do not think we can get them for more than two months. Other than that it is one of the best fruits to eat.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How long does it take for a mango tree to 'mature' if that's the right word, and produce fruit. I reckon it could be about a decade? I wish I lived in places where it was possible to grow some fruits suited only for tropical climate.
    I suppose all vegetables are pretty easy to grown: spinach, tomatoes, carrots.

I haven't had much luck with fruits. I've tried it many times but none of the fruits I tried to plant ever yielded anything.

8. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Over the years and after having lived in several different US regions I have found that cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash are often the most easy veggies to grow. Occasionally weeding and making sure they have adequate water will ensure a bountiful harvest -- often more than you will be able to use yourself. Just be sure not to let these veggies get to big they are all water based and if they get to large they will lose flavor and be water logged.