Eat Before You Shop?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by SLTE • Sep 24, 2015.

1. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Before I go shopping, I just eat a quick snack so I won't pass out in the stores. lol I don't see this really applying to myself because I get attempted to buy snacks on I'm feeling hungry and when I'm not feeling hungry. About 98% of the time, I do stick to my shopping list but once in a while, I might get a snack or two to eat on the way home.

2. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it definitely works for me. Whenever I go to the supermarket when I'm hungry I end up buying a lot of junk food. So, if I feel like eating healthy I usually eat before heading out to buy groceries.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat before I shop to avoid wanting to eat everything I see in the store. I have gone into the store hungry and started to things I picked up before I got to the check out stand. Some people may not be affected but I know I am, if I am hungry and don't really need to shop I will get something to eat first.

4. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Yes it's great! If I've only got a few dollars, making sure I ONLY buy what is needed (Ramen 90% of the time, ahaha) is crucial. I also bring a bottle of water with me. Staying hydrated is essential to staying refreshed, preventing me from going after savory, sweet, and salty foods.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping while you are hungry will end in you spending more money than you planned to because you'll feel you need to reward yourself. This reward might be some junk food which you'll munch on while you prepare a meal. So yeah, it's always advisable to eat before you go shopping and save the money extra money you might spend.

6. JennyHeart

JennyHeartNew Member

Threads:
    I think your tactic is interesting. This tactic would not work for me very well. I have found a way to spend less when I go shopping. I make a list of only the foods I need for the week, and try to shop like this on a regular basis.I read a book once about writing things down and how that can helps with different areas of daily living. I decided to write down the things I need and try my best not to add things to the list, and it helped me alot. I may from time to time pick up something that was not on the list, but most of the time I do not have to add to my grocery list.
    Your tactic may work for many people. If shoppers would do both our suggestions that could solve them from over spending on foods they would like to avoid in my opinion.

7. Barbra_Klawsin

Barbra_KlawsinNew Member

Threads:
    I know that when I was younger it was harder for me to shop on an empty stomach. I bought a lot more junk and food that I could either snack on in the car home, or tear into right away when I got into the kitchen. Now I'm a little wiser and can make a list and stick to it. I've shopped hungry and I've shopped full and either way these days I'd much rather eat a healthy well prepared meal (or snack). I also don't let the fridge/cupboad get bare ... so if I'm that famished when shopping and am tempted to buy something bad for me I can always say "oh! there's that xyz at home. I'll wait till then". Maybe it's just a sign of maturity for me :)

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This definitely applies to me! Whenever I've gone shopping on an empty stomach, I've ended up buying the whole store. I always find myself over at the cooked meals counter and buying all the delicious food there. Plus I find I then crave stuff like sweets, chocolate, crisps and all those naughty snacks. So yes, I always ensure that I'm not starving enough to want to eat a whole horse on my own before I go for my weekly shopping.

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    This trick works for me to some extent but then it can also have the opposite effect. I really underestimate what I need to buy instead of overbuying if I'm full and don't want anything to eat. I end up only buying enough for half the week say, instead of for the whole week. So while it saves me money in some respects it also means I probably need to go shopping again to get more groceries later in the week which means I probably won't save at all.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that eating before you sins will translate into savings. Our
    limbic or appetite system is such that our minds will be wired to buy
    unnecessary foodstuffs like east foods when we are hungry, rationality
    is at a low ebb.

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I always want to buy junk food whether I'm full or not so for me it wouldn't matter really. I love junk food but what prevents me from buying them is limited money and most importantly is to give my daughter a good example of eating. I stopped buying too much junk food the moment I knew I was pregnant to have a healthy pregnancy and that helped me get used to that habit.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I do the opposite, because I only usually eat after I do my shopping and I can't undo this sequence because it's something already automatic for me, haha! :p

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think they call it impulse buying and so you tend to wander off your grocery list and start drooling over food, if you do not stick to your grocery list. Instead you could eat a protein bar and carry it with you so you can eat it before you go in and do your shopping. This kind of planning and preparation-by eating a small snack, can really save you from spending to much when you do your shopping.