Eating bananas

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Aug 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bananas are one of the most common fruits and everyone eats it, but did you know that it's one of the fruits that has more chemicals of them all? Also, did you know that it's a fruit with plenty of acid, that is why it's recommended to be eaten when it's ripe? That is why those small dark spots appear, that's the acid burning the peel.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everything dies and everything has chemicals. Unavoidable. It's best to eat the banana when it's ripe anyway.. easier for the body to digest and you're right, lessens the acids which is great for many reasons; don't forget the teeth. I adore bananas.. my family is full of banana addicts so I grew up one as well; I won't be shelving them any time soon because they're dirty. I'm one of the cleanest eaters I know, but if I were a purist, I'd starve ;)

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I start everyday off with a banana. I like the fact that bananas have potassium which supposedly prevents headaches, I also like how filling and versatile a banana can be. I never knew that they were very acidic, interesting fact especially in relation to the brown spots. I actually wash my bananas before I east them. Not sure how effective it is but I read about it in an article one time and thought it may be worth the effort. I love bananas and will not stop eating them any time soon.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I actually knew that. Bananas have many health benefits, but unfortunately I can't eat them. They have always given me heartburn and stomach ache for some reason, even when I was a kid. So, I steer clear of bananas, although I often rub banana peels over my teeth to whiten them. It work rather well.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I used to buy my food at a biological store (meaning, sustainable and chemicals free) and I was friend with the owner and he told me about the bananas, I never knew that. When we eat fruit we think that we are eating healthy and we are eating a lot of chemicals, it's really sad. What can we eat after all that is actually good for us?

6. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    There is one good thing about bananas, though. They help calm down menstrual cramps drastically. Theyve always worked for me. When I was told to eat a banana when I had cramps, I thought they were crazy. But then I tried it, and it actually really does help. I mean it doesnt totally get rid of them but it can help take a 9 on a scale from 1-10 down to a 3.

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love bananas! I eat one before working out or playing ball. I didn't know about banana peels making your teeth whiter. That's something I should definitely try. And thanks for mentioning that eating a banana helps with cramps. My sister almost always gets very bad cramps during her period.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nowadays there are too many studies that only end up burdening people with information that isn't conclusive. People have been eating bananas for centuries so whether they have more chemicals or not isn't that bad because no one has died because they ate bananas.

It reminds of the studies about avocados. One group said avocados were bad because . . .

A year later another group came up with different results. Avocados were good because . . .

So maybe soon we'll be hearing about the benefits of eating bananas :)

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, the kind of banana most of us are eating have not been eaten for centuries. The cavendish is the more recent variety because the commercial variety before it is now extinct. These come from a single plant, all clones, not able to reproduce on their own (can you see what's left of the seeds in there? useless). These ones will be wiped out eventually too.. because they can't adapt and the bugs and other issues have. This makes them especially dirty foods.. the stronger the critters, the more pesticides etc. We have not been eating THAT for centuries. So yes, the studies on specific fruits may say one thing, but it doesn't include what's all over and in them.

As for studies themselves.. everyone can find a study to back up how they feel, whether it be about a food or our bodies or whatever. There is a pro and a con to almost everything.. studies are only for those who know how to question them.

10. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    Well everything now a days is bad for you, at least that is what so many claim. We have to eat something, so why not bananas. I have been eating bananas all my life and I am still alive. I am 61. I use bananas on cereal and in smoothies. They say berries are bad for you also, because of chemicals. Lets stop using chemicals on everything. It's up to the government to start having stricter rules on pesticides etc. It will take years for changes to happen.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love bananas, I like to just eat them or add them to my cereal in the mornings. I add bananas to my smoothies when I make them to give me added vitamins and to make the smoothie more filling. My banana bread is very good, it does not last a day if the grand kids are around. Bananas do not last long in my house even to make the bread I purchase very ripe fruit at the store so that it will be ready to cook with quickly.

12. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like the regular bananas in the market but my children loves it. They squish bananas with chocolate syrup and sprinkle it with rice crispies or nuts and they have their favorite dessert.:)

What I love is the "saba" banana (cardava banana) variant. It's shorter than regular bananas but bigger in girth. Here in our country, we usually eat it cooked. We fry it with sugar or boil it with or without sugar and it's very filling. Lots of delicious ways to serve it actually. ;)

Fried saba banana:
    bananaque.

This is what it looks like when raw (some people claimed to have lost weight eating it raw):
    saba_banana.

I wonder if the peel is as effective for teeth whitening as the regular ones. :confused:

13. Nada noor

Nada noorNew Member

Threads:
    You need to ask a real doctor. Most people on here aren't qualified to give medical advice. A lot depends on what your specific medical issue is. More than one banana a day seems excessive, but maybe not depending on your circumstances. Go see a doctor.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Doctors are the LAST people you want to go to for dietary advice. They aren't in any way educated on the matter. You want to know about how to put a bandaid on depression or medicate instead of taking care of yourself, they're the people you go to. Dietary advice though? No way.. unless you want a shorter life span.

15. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Certain doctors are if you go to the right one. That is what research is for. However, I did not know that about bananas. Too be honest, I really don't like them and never have. I don't like how sweet they are. I don't like overly sweet stuff. Makes me wanna gag. Plus they are mushy bleh!

16. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I HATE bananas lol. Honestly though I can't stand them. Doesn't surprise me about their evil acid lol. I don't like the texture they're way too slimy and mushy. They smell good and that's about it.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I know that bananas have many benefits to them, and we have that fruit often at home. I was told that it can help with diarrhea and constipation as well, so I eat it asap if ever my bowel movement is not normal. Also, here is 1 interesting link about the benefits of bananas:

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Great looking pictures eppie! It reminds me that has been a while since I've made fried bananas. Nothing simpler really, just some butter in a frying pan, the ripe bananas and in a couple of minutes is done. When ready just add some sugar and cinnamon and it's the perfect dessert. Not the most healthy dessert though lol. :)