Eating before working out?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • May 30, 2014.

1. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I've never have a problem eating before a workout. I love running on a belly full of food and I guess I'm lucky as most people complain about cramps or discomfort. I generally think of it as the fuel I need to go further and further. If I don't eat before I feel empty and my body is so inefficient at using my body fat for energy that I don't work out as well as I normally would. We are all different I guess.

2. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Don't runners eat a lot of carbs before they do a marathon or long distance run ? While I have heard eating before a swim can give you cramps. When I lifted in my college days I usually ate after a workout to repair any damage to the muscles done from my lifting. At that point the body is in recovery mode. You eat and rest until your next workout. I don't think eating before exercise is the norm though.

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    As a runner and a swimmer, I don't buy into either of the myths. I've tried carb loading before big runs, and I don't find it provides me with any more energy than if I just eat properly. The most important part in my training is eating clean. If you eat garbage your run is garbage. As for swimming cramps, I've never once had that happen, and when I was younger I'd often eat and then jump in the pool.
    As a general rule, I try not to eat within 30 minutes of an exercise, but a light snack or even a breakfast has always been fine.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I can not do exercise while digesting, I will get a debilitating side ache and probably nausea and not be able to move fast enough to call it exercise. I have tried different types of food, but no such luck, if I am going to run, it has to be before breakfast or before dinner so I know I have all my energy freed up for running and my stomach will be OK.

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I eat a fair amount before I work out, but usually leave it around 1hr-1.5hrs before. I've heard that carbohydrates/fruit in particular which is high in energy is great before workouts although you must give it time to digest before or you'll get a heavy/sluggish feeling.

6. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    It is best to eat after a workout. You end up losing so much of your calories from your work out that your body needs to be refueled with those nutrients. Your body will also be in fat burning mode, so all the calories you put into your body will eventually be burned out if you eat within a certain time frame of your workout.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Agree with this, although it's important to have SOMETHING in your stomach before you workout. Even if it's just a nutri-grain bar and a bananna, it's important not to workout on an empty stomach. It'll help improve the quality of the workout and keep your body at less of an injury risk because your body isn't running on fumes.

The most important things to keep in mind before working out is to 1. Not eat too much and 2. Eat clean.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer not to exercise on a empty stomach, as it causes me severe acidity at the end of the routine. I think it is a great way to also prevent any sickness or illness which can be caused by being weak. I prefer to eat at least one banana or an apple. Eating one fruit is really good before exercise as it does not keep your stomach empty and is also a very light snack.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure what the science behind eating before a workout entails, and so I am not sure whether or not it is beneficial to eat before working out or not. I do know of certain foods that release a slow-burning burst of energy into your body, like honey for instance. Many UFC fighters will eat a spoonful of honey before a fight, because of that very reason. But I have never heard of people having full meals before working out. I'd be too full to move. Working out would be uncomfortable. More uncomfortable that it is without eating beforehand.

10. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    The period you have to stay before working out after you eat is about 1hour or 1 hour or 20 depends on everybody's metabolism. I would recommend people to eat some easy-digesting food, high in carbohydrates as they are the primary source of your energy at the gym. A good coffee can also help boost your energy during the workout if drank with 30 minutes before.

11. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    You should not eat heavy especially if you are going to do some abs exercises. Avoid it at all cost. You can always eat something light though. I for one prefer to not eat anything half and hour before I hit gym.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    As a general rule of thumb I eat two hours before my workouts. If I eat only one hour before I feel too full and I am likely to get dizzy and nauseous during that session. On the other hand, if I wait too long after a meal to do my workout I don't have the energy to complete it. It's always about finding out what works for you and following the accepted guidelines at the same time, not straying too far from them, and that is what I have found works best for me.

13. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I would think it is also bad to workout when you're hungry. Maybe eat a power meal like eggs and toast before working out, or oatmeal. I think it'd be bad to eat a cheeseburger afterwards too. I seriously need to see a nutritionist and figure out a diet for myself. I'm sick of looking like I'm pregnant.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Before I go for a run every morning, I eat a banana and a piece of bread. I do not go out on an empty stomach because doing so makes me feel dizzy. :) I think that what is bad is eating a full, heavy meal before working out.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I can't eat and then workout too close together and be comfortable...in fact it makes me quite nauseous and sick. Sometimes I can eat something very, very light...perhaps a small serving of fruits or vegetables, or an egg white, beforehand without it being too bad- but overall I have a lot of trouble with it. It seems to make my acid reflux worse as well :(

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's great that your method works for you. Maybe you can try to up the number of hours before starting your workout. Digestion occurs within three hours after food consumption. So maybe instead of two hours, you can just go for three. Just to be on the safe side. If you've never had your appendix remove, you might be at risk of contracting appendicitis. Moving around too much when your stomach's still full isn't something doctors will recommend.

17. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    You should not eat before working out really, because your body uses energy to digest food, I would suggest eating an hour after working out and drinking protein once finished too, this will assist your body much better!

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that eating a full meal prior to working out is a good thing. But then I guess that it depends upon how long after you have eaten that you start the workout. I never like to workout after eating, unless I have just eaten something small, like a snack bar, or a spoonful of peanut butter, which is said to be a source of slow-burning energy.

19. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have absolutely no problem eating right before I work out. I never have had a problem with it. Many times I have eaten and stood right up and said, "I'm going to get my run in now."

My husband thinks I'm nuts when I do it, but I notice absolutely no difference in my energy level unless it is that it might be even higher than it would be otherwise. And I certainly don't get sick. Not even in the heat.

I don't worry about waiting to swim, either, whether it's here in my small pool or out at the lake where I love the deeper water. I've just never had a problem with it. I think, though it's not exactly a myth that you should wait for thirty minutes, that the concern is more if you do scuba diving or something.

Of course, I've also got a cast iron stomach and can eat absolutely anything pretty much anytime anyway.

20. Rachel Dodd

Rachel DoddNew Member

Threads:
    Eat! Seriously though, it's not as bad as some say it is. I feel that you should eat carbs and protein, as I do. Eggs in the morning before jogging in the morning is easy to overcome. Eggs are light if cooked correctly, and can take you a long way when it comes to endurance of repairing the muscle quicker to heal soreness afterward.