Eating before working out?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • May 30, 2014.

1. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    It's important to eat before a workout. A small bowl of oatmeal with a banana is good If you are going to go on a workout within an hour of eating. Right before a workout, you can go for a liquid diet or some energy drink. In any case, it's important to have some snack before a workout.

2. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    If I eat before I go to the gym I usually get really sick to my stomach and have to leave so I have found if I eat at least an hour before I go I feel great by the time I get there. I also don't eat a big meal, something small like a fruit and granola bar or something along those lines and then when I am done at the gym I will eat something with a little more substance.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could do it, but I can’t, unless it’s maybe just a handful of my favorite raisin/peanut/sunflower kernel mix or something similar. Anything more than that and I’ll side-stitch like crazy. After eating I need to wait a good hour or two before I work out, depending on what I eat.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't read all the comments here but based on the title, I'm sure many would say that they would eat before a workout, i.e. at least 2 hours before. It's punishing to do a workout when you stomach is grumbling. Likewise, you have to have ample fluid in your body so you need a drink an hour before the workout.

5. nicole deffes

nicole deffesNew Member

Threads:
    I can totally see your point as to why it would be bad to eat before a workout. However, I always eat before a workout only because I do not want to get hungry while I am exercising. I want to have a long and thorough workout that isn't interrupted buy hunger pains. It also gives me more energy to workout after I eat. Being full is also a reminder to me to burn off the food I ate. If you absolutely do not want to eat before the gym then bring a protein shake or protein bar with you just in case you get hungry.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to jog, I left the house with an empty stomach, and I never had issues with it. I think jogging or exercising with little or even an empty stomach is preferred, because. you will just move the some of the food that you ate in your appendix, and you certainly don't want that don't you?

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Eating prior to exercise is generally considered to be more important that eating post workout and although its not advisable to eat a large meal within two to three hours before working out - it is contrary to popular belief - not advisable to workout on a totally empty stomach either.

Particularly as - there is now strong evidence to suggest that exercising on an empty stomach is not only ineffective but can also be dangerous - due to the fact that as the body is depleted of the necessary glycogen stores or fuel it needs - meaning the body is running on empty and therefore can't cope with the demand - it reacts by " hitting the wall " in other words by causing light-headedness, fatigue, lack of co-ordination and even blacking out.

Therefore as trying to exercise on an empty stomach is the equivalent to trying to run a car with no fuel - it is always advisable to have something light and easily digestible like a few bananas, a yogurt, a handful of nuts or even a piece of toast no less than 30 - 60 minutes prior to exercising - in order not only to get the full benefit of working out - but also to avoid " hitting the wall ".

I would also just add that - although the function of the appendix is still not entirely clear - it is associated with the lymphatic system and therefore - combined with the fact that it doesn't directly aid digestion and is also so tiny and narrow that it would be virtually impossible for food to enter even if it tried - there is absolutely no need to worry about food entering the appendix at any time whatsoever - let alone when working out

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend not to eat heavily before working out, because I don't want to experience the itis, and I don't want to be all heavy. I don't want it to impact my ability to move, or my alertness. So if I do eat before working out, it is always something light like a snack. It might be a cereal bar, or an energy bar or something like that. It might even be a drink, and just a drink.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Wow thanks to this post and the comments on this thread I am able to learn something new today. I have read before that one should not eat before working out so that our body will utilize the stored fats while exercising. I really am skeptical about this as of course, we need energy to be able to work out. I guess not eating for two hours before working out is just right.

Before, I used to follow that false information. I tend to overeat after a workout because of that. It really is a bad idea not to eat before exercising as you tend to have no energy and you will feel light headed. I know having experienced this. Good thing I did not follow that false information anymore and ate before a workout, usually in the morning.

10. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I usually eat an hour before I work out other wise I am starving during my workout. If I don’t eat anything I get so tired and have no energy. However, on the other hand if I eat to much I get sluggish and a stomach ache. I try to just eat something light just to give me enough energy. I also found that when I drink coffee I have a better work out.

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not into a fitness routine nor working out regularly because I prefer long walks as a wait to keep myself in shape and healthy.

However I may go into some workout when I feel to be gaining extra pounds (just like now) and most of the time I prefer to do it very early in the morning before eating anything.

Even though, if not possible, I workout at any other hour of the day, but usually after 2-3 hours after eating.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I work out more these days. It is not much more, but it is regular schedule for working out. I do not have a set rule for eating or not eating before working out. I will have a spoonful of Molasses before going but that is usually all I am inspired to have. If I am inspired to have more, then I will. But I am usually not.

13. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I have to workout before I eat. I usually work out at the same time every day, and then I have my first meal after. When you workout if you eat within a certain time frame, your body is still burning off calories so it would be a perfect time to eat. Usually if you eat before working out , if you do not digest first it can lead to appendicitis which happened to me.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    I had no idea that eating before a workout, without allowing for the food to properly digest, could lad to appendacitis. I had appendacitis when I was around the age of ten years old, and now I am wondering whether or not this was the cause of it. Guess we will never know now though. If you are going to eat before working out, it has to be a good amount of time before the workout begins. I don't have heavy meals. Always something light, or something to boost my energy.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure what the truth is here anymore. There appears to be a myriad of contradicting opinions here, and it's a little confusing! I guess in the end it's all about what works for you as an individual. I don't usually work out on an empty stomach, but I make sure I'm not too full either. I sometimes just grab a little light snack just so I have some energy. I think I'd feel very uncomfortable if I had a full meal like breakfast LOL

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Although somewhat understandable - especially with the majority of media information on this subject being so misleading and easily misinterpreted - that it generally leads to so much confusion that nobody knows what to believe - I too would agree that there are.

Therefore in order to avoid any further confusion and ensure that not only - everyone gets to exercise safely but also gets full benefit from their workouts too - the fact based answer is - as mentioned previously - that as there is substantial evidence suggesting that exercising on an empty stomach is not only ineffective but can also be dangerous - it is NOT recommended that anyone exercises on a totally empty stomach

I would also just add - that this
    is another somewhat alarming myth that - although debunked many years ago - really does need to be laid to rest once and for all.

Especially as - not only is there absolutely no evidence to suggest, let alone support this claim - but the possibility that exercising after eating could lead to appendicitis - is so remote that its non-existence - for the simple reason that - as appendicitis is an inflammation of the mucosa caused by bacteria - its the result of infection - not jumping around.

17. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    You should always eat something before exercising so your body has enough fuel to power through your workout. The rationale behind this widely accepted myth is that forgoing food before exercise will force your body to burn more fat during your workout.