Eating Habits

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Mar 30, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have some unusual habits when you eat?

I for example tend to eat the soup many times at the same time as the main course, I don't know if many of you do the same? I don't think this is unhealthy...

2. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I do have an unusual habit. When I eat those yummy battered chicken with fries, I'll eat the fries first and when I'm finished with them I'll eat the chicken. Last will be the coleslaw.
    If I'm eating rice and veg with any meat, I'll finish the veg first just to get done with it and then proceed with the rest of the meal.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to start on the veggies first when I have a plate of food containing veggies. I am not sure if it is because I want to get the veggie course out of the way, or if it is just that the colors and freshness of the veggies appeal to me. Most people I know will eat the meat and potatoes (or whatever the main course is) and save the veggies for last if they are still hungry. I just like to make sure I am getting all of the nutrients I can out of the meal.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to "save the best for last" lol. Save the cheesiest piece or the biggest piece for last, so everything was usually eaten in order that way lol.. very OCD. Smallest to biggest, least cheesy to most, least flavoured to most. I just remembered that.. I haven't done that in a few years now, I just eat everything all willy nilly ;)

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I have varied tastes, I tend to eat the same thing whenever I go to a specific restaurant or fast food location. I'll vary things up at different chains, but I eat the same thing whenever I go to Subway or Chipotle or something like that. I have no explanation for this habit, although it's not that strange.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When eating barbecue and other grilled dishes, I usually fall into the habit of using my hands instead of a spoon and a fork. Eating bare-handed is common where I'm from especially for grilled or saucy dishes. For hygiene purposes, stores provide plastics for your hands. The meal becomes more enjoyable this way. I also have the tendency to sit with my legs crossed on my chair. This makes me enjoy the meal even further.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe I'm also a little weird because I have to have everything together. If I have vegetables, meat and say rice; I'll have a little of everything until I'm done. I can't have meat on its own, unless it bbq meat. I have to pair it with either vegetables or a starch or both.

I don't know if this counts, but the one thing my husband find odd with me, is that I have to warm up my breakfast cereal for say 20-30 seconds in order to eat it. I can't eat it cold, I find it disgusting LOL

#7Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
  8. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I dont know if it is odd but I love to eat chocolates every night. Our family doctor once told me to limit my chocolate intake because I am becoming fat and we have a lineage with diabetes and High blood pressure. But I do not know why I can not stop eating chocolates.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am regarded as a bit eccentric with my eating habits, as I often like to start my day with something substantial, such as a pumpkin soup for breakfast or sometimes I also feel that a bowl of warm vegetables with tahini or avocado is what I need first thing in the morning to feel good and energetic.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have any strange eating habits. Like Lushlala, I always have a mixture of foods on the end of my fork and prefer this to eating the individual components separately. In any case, the different parts of a meal should complement each other.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Often I like to eat my dessert first. I eat my vegetables and then I eat what ever is on the plate. The other strange thing I do is smell the silverware. It smells like an egg I need to replace it. I always smell the silverware

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually like to eat quite slowly. Sometimes it is really irritating to other people. But I have always been the kind to not eat very fast.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Back when smoking was allowed in restaurants, I used to smoke all the time while I was eating and my friends used to tease me about it. It didn't really bother me at all, plus when we went out to eat at places like Denny's or Perkins, we were usually camping out there for a while so we were in no hurry to shovel down our food.

If I go out to eat, particularly a fine dining place, I tend to avoid stuff like spaghetti or other long pastas because I can never eat them gracefully without making a mess of myself and making rather obnoxious slurping noises. No matter how careful I am, I always end up getting sauce splatters on my shirt and pants.

My dad has this bizarre habit when eating breakfast - if it's a big plate of stuff like home fries, fried eggs, sausage, etc... he'll squirt ketchup over everything then chop and mix it all up into what looks like a pile of regurgitated food, before finally eating it. It's kind of embarrassing if we're at a restaurant because he's even noisier than me when he eats.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I have any weird or bad habits, but I like my sauce in one place so I can dip into it and not smothered all over the food. I like food to be portioned in the right place on the plate rather than wherever fits, for examples peas next to mashed potato rather than the broccoli.

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I stack things on my fork. That is, a little bit of this and that on my fork and into my mouth at the same time.

I'm also a dipper. If there is ketchup or some other type sauce or condiment, I prefer to dip individual pieces rather than to cover my food with it.

Desserts, now, are a whole different matter. I tend to eat around the sweetest part (icing on cakes, for example) and save that for last. Or, as in the case of oreo type cookies, I still twist them apart and eat the cream middle first and the cookie parts last.