Eating sweets, something seasonal?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Jan 7, 2015.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is it my impression or we eat more sweets with the cold weather? I don't eat that many sweets, but lately with the cold weather I've been eating a lot of sweets, especially chocolates. I mean, at least a couple of them at night lol. Does this happen with you as well?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes It happened to me a lot when I used to live in the UK. But I found that it wasn't just chocolate, but rather all the naughty foods. The colder I felt, which was most of the year in the UK, I craved all the unhealthy stuff like chocolate, dessert type food, all the greasy stuff and fast food. I'm not really huge on chocolate and dessert, I'm more about savoury food! Yet by comparison; now that we live in a hot country I don't often crave these naughty foods and I eat far less!

3. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    I have definitely noticed that during the cold seasons, or cooler climates, the consumption of chocolates, sweets and biscuits increases a lot more compared to the hotter temperatures. In addition, during the cooler temperatures food consumption in general goes up for me, which includes eating more at meal times as well. This may be due to needing more calories to compensate for the additional energy your body uses to keep you warm. Further, while these 'unhealthy' snacks are eaten less during hotter temperatures, I noticed that they are replaced by other junk foods such as ice cream. The increased snack consumption may be seasonal, or it may also be due to having more available as during the festive season these foods are given in plenty as gifts.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    In my case, I really tend to eat a lot of sweets towards the end of the year. I am not sure if it is the cold season that makes me want to eat more or the ridiculous amount of sweets available in the market as well as the ones handed out for free from September to December. LOL! In any case, I just enjoy these months of decadence and make face the consequences brought upon my body at the start of the year. Thankfully, January is my month for detoxification. It is a must!

5. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I tend to eat sweets all year round, not just in a concrete season.

It's possible it's because over here the weather is constant: always hot. However, as I have a sweet tooth, it doesn't deter me from buying a nice amount of sweets every week. Chocolates and the such, mostly.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think eating more sweets during the cooler months is very comforting. It's called and dark outside, so we want to create a comfortable and cozy atmosphere inside, and that includes our body. Personally, I am not a big fan of sweets. I have lived in the tropics most of my life, and only ever need comfort foods when I feel depressed or overwhelmed with problems. Cold weather rarely happens here. My favorite treat is a cup of hot chocolate with soy milk, cinnamon and stevia every so often. :)

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I ate many sweets over the week of Christmas and New Years, and I regret every bite. I ended up feeling overall sickish by New Years Day, and it took about a week for my body to really recover from the assault of gluten and sugar. I'm never going to do that again. I can't even tell you how crummy I felt, and the constant gas for days, after every meal because my intestines were so irritated from all the gluten. It doesn't leave your system instantly, and that is a big reason I'm so done, so done. No taste is worth that to me.

8. emily0531

emily0531Member

Threads:
    When we're cooped up inside during the colder months, I think we sometimes eat out of boredom. Chocolate releases endorphins in our brains and makes us feel good. It the perfect food for the long, depressing winter! :D

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I eating sweet isn't seasonal. I binge eat on sweets all day every day. In fact, I have a prophecy that I am going to die out of diabetes. It's something that's taking my concern. But because I can't really abstain from sweets (I really can't.), I compensate thru exercise. After I exercise, I just feel like I could binge again on sweets without feeling guilty. And when it happens that I have eaten too much sweet by my own standards, I clear out my guilt by increasing my exercise.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My sweet consumption isn't really dependent on the weather. I usually eat sweets on a whim and not because of weather changes. There are just times when my brain remembers the taste of a particular brand of chocolate or some icecream flavor I gobbled up in the past. The memory spurs me to consider buying the moment I have free time.