Eating Vegetables Raw

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sunnyside • Jul 3, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Some vegetables can be eaten raw while others need to be steamed or boiled in order to be edible. Vegetables that I would eat raw are carrots, cabbage and bell peppers. Those are the only ones that I can think of at the moment that I would eat raw. Eating these vegetables raw can save on using gas. There are also a couple vegetables that need only a small amount of steaming, like brocolli and spinach for instance.

Which vegetables do you eat raw and how often do you eat them raw rather than steaming or boiling them?

2. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I try to eat vegetables raw whenever possible. I eat broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, cabbage, peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes raw. I'm sure there are many others I could add to the list, too. The things that I have to cook at least a little are corn, eggplant, peas and potatoes. Even the vegetables that I cook, I try to cook them as little as possible in as many instances as possible. Of course, there are times when I cook them to the max, like when I make french fries or Eggplant Parmesean.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I love eating vegetables raw and eat quite a few of them that way. I love eating carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, cabbage, peppers, cucumbers, yellow squash, celery, zucchini, and turnips. I like some of them cooked as well and will add certain ones in with whatever I am cooking for a boost to the nutritional value of the food.

4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I try to eat a green salad every day. And i add cucumbera and raw onions to it. I am not a big fan of celery and radishes so i eave those out. If i have other raw veggies in the fridge thar appeal to me, i will add those as well. It makes my salad different everyday.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am not fond of the taste of many raw vegetables. I eat carrots, broccoli, hiccima, and cauliflower raw, but that is about the extent of it. I really like to grill veggies and roast them in the oven. I do not boil or steam most vegetables because they turn bland.

6. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I should have also added onions, cucumbers and tomatoes to the list of vegetables that I eat raw. The only time I would eat onions raw, though, is mixed into a salad. I know that eating vegetables raw gives more nutritional value than eating them cooked, but there are some vegetables that would definitely be too hard, in my opinion, to eat raw.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I try to eat my veggies raw because if you cook them then you take all of the nutrients out. We try to eat them as a snack before dinner and that way we eat less at the table. It has been effective for our summer parties too.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's why you should eat potatoes raw:

- They are indigestible. So if you aren't getting any nutrients from the potatoes you eat, it's better that you shouldn't eat them at all.

- You can get a foodborne disease from raw potatoes or any raw vegetables you eat.

That said, the only vegetables I'd eat raw are cabbages and tomatoes.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Bearing in mind that where I come from - raw seasonal vegetables form a major part of our traditional diet and also that - not only do we have an extremely long growing season - which I take full advantage of as I grow all my own produce - but that some of our vegetables are technically speaking - fruits rather than vegetables.

I think it goes without saying that raw vegetables are a firm favorite in my household - we eat a huge amount of them too - as all of the following

Red and white cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Arugula, Spinach, Cress, Celery, Onions, Garlic, Kohlrabi, Turnip, Radishes, Carrots, Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumber, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Olives and Avocado

are regularly eaten raw - either incorporated into pasta, potato, bean or rice salads, made into purees/dips/spreads or eaten as is.

Potatoes however - are one vegetable that I would never, ever eat raw - for the simple reason - that not only do potatoes taste extremely bitter and have little to no nutritional value when raw - as the nutrients are only released when they are cooked - but as the starches in potatoes are highly indigestible until cooked - they can make you feel decidedly uncomfortable and sometimes very unwell.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only things I eat raw are lettuce and cucumbers, and occasionally peppers. I prefer them cooked or grilled because there are so many cases of food poisoning going around, and nutrients aside it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have a delicate tummy so I have to be more careful, but some people are able to eat things raw that I can't. I loathe raw onions, but you have to be careful how you store veggies too.

11. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I can’t imagine myself eating bell peppers raw. Even when cooked, I find it difficult to eat bell peppers. Anyway, I do eat a lot of raw vegetables like celery, spinach, cucumber, turnips and tomatoes. Salads are among my favorite dishes so it makes sense that I enjoy eating these vegetables raw. And of course, there’s the fact that it’s often healthier if you eat them raw.

12. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I love eating some of my vegetables raw as I believe they lose their taste when cooked. For example: carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, and broccoli. However, other vegetables are meant to be eaten, for example: spinach, zucchini, and potatoes of course. Peppers and mushrooms though, they are the two vegetables which I would not mind eating either raw or cooked.

13. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    There are some vegetables I would not have any problem with eating them raw: carrots, lettuce dipped in vinegar, sliced cucumber, pickles dipped in vinegar, sliced onion, etc. But I would not dare to eat raw cabbage, eggplant, pumpkin or broccoli.

14. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I eat cabbage, cucumber, carrot, radish, onion raw. These vegetables taste great when eaten raw. When I eat cauliflower, broccoli, spinach I prefer light steaming. When I eat pumpkin, potato, okra, eggplant I make sure these are thoroughly cooked.

15. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I try to eat as many vegetables as possible raw. I like to have different vegetables in a salad, such as lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, spinach, onion, zucchini, bell peppers, celery, cress and probably more I've forgotten to list too. I love raw vegetables, and it saves a little money having to cook them too which is a bonus.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will never eat raw vegetables, they just don't seem appetizing to me. I actually prefer my vegetables to be fully cooked rather than half cooked.