Ebay, Amazon Or An Alternative Marketplace In 2015?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by oldwriter • Jan 23, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often do research on Amazon, and occasionally buy from them, but I use eBay much more, because I can use Buy It Now, or Make An Offer, and also get free shipping. On eBay you can search listings that are only Buy It Now, Only Sellers from the U.S. (or probably limit it to whatever country you're in), those close to your zip code, only listings with Free Shipping, etc., so it's very flexible. I primarily use Buy It Now, but will occasionally bid on something, especially if I know I can bid low and potentially save money, but having done research in advance, I know I can get the same thing for a low price if I lose that auction. I tend to buy new housewares , used books, etc. from Amazon, versus supplies and occasionally clothing on eBay.

2. Gina

GinaNew Member

Threads:
    One of the main issues that people have with eBay is their fees, but that really is where a lot of the traffic goes (for now at least). It looks like a lot of sellers are moving to Bonanza? But hopefully a lot of the buyers are too!

One of the main benefits of trying alternate networks is simply the lower (or non-existent) fees. It means that you can try your hand at selling without risking money on it. If it doesn't cost you've got nothing to lose but a little of your time creating the listings.

Some eBay alternatives to consider (depending on what you're selling) include:

- Amazon
    - Etsy
    - Bonanza
    - Ruby Lane
    - Craigslist
    - eBid
    - Your own online store
    - A niche-specific store that caters to your product type (e.g. if you were selling clothes, something like Threadflip)

#22Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried out eBid yet, and don't even bother with Craigslist anymore, because I've had nothing but scammers trying contacting me when I've listed items there. I do like that there are no listing fees on Bonanza, but my traffic has slowed down considerably, and others I know who sell there say the same. I have purchased on all those @Gina@Gina has listed, other than eBid and Ruby Lane.

4. kilospeed

kilospeedNew Member

Threads:
    I trust Amazon more than I trust eBay. More than once I've bought a product from eBay and it wasn't up to the standards I had from looking at the ad; unfortunately, the product wasn't broken and wasn't completely unusable so I decided not to pay the shipping to send it back. Now I only shop on Amazon and have yet to be disappointed.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think people will be flocking to any alternative marketplaces this year. People tend to stick with what they know and feel safe with. Although Bonanza is an adorable site and I'm rooting for them to succeed, I still think some of the sellers set their prices too high and ,as a seller ,I don't think they have enough traffic for me to make any sales there.
    eBay isn't as fun to sell on anymore, but they're still the best known auction site in the world, so I'm stuck with them for now. I do most of my online shopping on Amazon because the customer service is excellent and there are tons of sites to earn Amazon gift cards.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I love Amazon and use it often. I even spring for the prime membership and I know I save more than that amount in shipping costs. We usually have 2-3 physical orders from them a month. I hate to shop in stores if I can avoid it.

I sell primarily on craigslist or sometimes with outdoor flea market booth space. I don't like ebay as a seller because of the fees but I will sometimes use ebay as a buyer if the deal is really good.

7. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:
    I much rather prefer Amazon, they have way better shipping options than ebay. With amazon I can order 5 or 6 different items and have them all within two days. With ebay not only does it take forever to get your order but sometimes you will not get it at all! Which I have ordered things from ebay that I never received and all I got was a sorry never got my product or my money refunded so I haven't used ebay since I rather stick to Amazon. Or wish it's pretty good site but they have slow shipping so it takes weeks to get your order but at the price they offer it's well worth the wait.

8. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of amazon. I find that you can get almost anything off that store. Also, since I have amazon Prime I get free 2 day shipping. My only concern with buying online at amazon as with many other stores is that it cost a lot for shipping if you want to return something.
    Other then that I get everything from books to home items to vitamins off amazon.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that I like Ebay and usually go to that site more often than Amazon. I have no complaints with Amazon but I have dealt with Ebay more so am more comfortable with it. I currently sell quite a bit of stuff on Ebay and have never done that on Amazon but I have read a lot about people having luck with that. Whenever I buy something on Ebay, I usually just stick to the buy it now listings as I do not want to go through the process of bidding. I find great deals on things so I am happy. However, Amazon you can find everything you are looking for and the process is really simple.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess you could say for me it goes in swings and round abouts, between eBay and Amazon. I think in my heart of hearts, I trust Amazon over eBay, but I feel strongly that I get better bargains and wider variety from eBay. I like that a lot of my favourite clothing stores have outlets stores on eBay from where I tend to get gorgeous stuff for cheaper. I feel Amazon is pricier. Overall, in as much as I feel like Amazon is the the superior brand, eBay still edges it for me in terms of my needs.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really understood eBay, but I know some people have gotten some fantastic purchases there, and I saw a tremendous buy for a laptop the last time I browsed the site, however, I do my shopping on Amazon simply because I normally have an assortment of gift certificates from various online groups I participate in. What is better than not having to spend cash for purchases?? I don't think anything is.

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'd still go with eBay because I'm a collector and I don't think Amazon sells second hand stuff on their website. Another site that we should take note of is Alibaba and it has been the largest ecommerce sites, even bigger and both eBay and Amazon. What's great about Alibaba is that it allows you to manufacture items from Asian countries such as China, Pakistan, Thailand, etc.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ebay offers free shipping if you buy from Chinese sellers, so that's what I prefer more because the shipping in Amazon to my country can be expensive.