Ebay Experiences

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Diane Lane • Jul 1, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been shopping on eBay a little more than usual lately. I've purchased quite a few small items I need personally, as well as for some supplies for my shops. Overall, I've had good experiences, but there are a few issues I've experienced that others may or may not have experienced.

Make an Offer option - On a few of the items I've purchased recently, in addition to the Buy It Now option, the sellers have included the Make An Offer option. In every case, when I've made reasonable offers, they have been turned down. I never low ball my offers, because I consider that disrespectful, and I wouldn't want to upset the seller. I make a reasonable offer (I sometimes even check with a friend or two about how reasonable they think the offer is, before sending it), and in some cases, I've made successively larger reasonable offers, almost up to the Buy It Now price, only to be declined. In those cases, I have ended up purchasing the items from other sellers, so their quibbling for a few cents has cost them the sale.

Non Paying Bidders - I have sold a few items on eBay over the past year or so, and have noticed a trend for buyers with very low feedback (although not necessarily new to the site) to jump in the bidding action, win the auction, and then not pay. What irks me is that eBay doesn't really have negative repercussions for those non-payers. The onus is on the seller to then make a second chance offer to the next highest bidder, via a relist. If that bidder isn't interested, I believe the seller can make the same second chance offer to the next highest bidder, but all of that takes time and work, and it seems sellers just have to suck it up and chalk it up to a cost of doing business.

Other than the above two sets of circumstances, I've been pretty happy with both my buying and selling experiences on eBay.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really shopped on eBay. I know people do get some fantastic buys there..but I can usually find what i need on Amazon, and since I always have gift certificates it is really my go to place. My sister sold a lego set on Ebay and ended up getting about 5x what she paid for it..so some people can really utilize the site well. Most of what I would sell is large..not sure how the shipping would work.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Overall, I too have had pleasant experiences on eBay, bar three nasty experiences. I always find eBay is very much biased against the seller, which I feel is very skewed. We used to sell on eBay until they revised their listing fees, which left us with very little of the money we made, at which point we stopped altogether because it was more hassle than it was worth it for us. We had one customer in Asia who insisted he hadn't received an expensive limited addition football shirt we'd dispatched. I don't remember why, but we couldn't send it recorded delivery, so it was like our word against his, so we had to refund him the money he'd paid.

Once I received fake makeup brushes which were sold as Mac. I didn't have the energy to pursue it. Then there was the case of the seller who sold us a faulty iMac which wouldn't even switch on, and made this weird noise. He wouldn't listen to us and just kept insisting there was nothing wrong with it. Luckily, we got aggressive on him, packaged and returned it without his permission, prompting him to refund our money LOL From that point on we decided that for such pricey items, we'd go directly to an authorized supplier in the future.

I only buy 'buy it now' items because I can't be bothered. Sellers can get greedy and give you the run around. Plus with the auction items, there are 'professional bidders' out there who always manage to outwit everyone and swoop in at the very last minute. I just can't deal with that.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have been selling on eBay for quite some time and have never really had a problem with buyers until this past year. I have had 3 buyers not pay for their items. The first one actually got upset with me when I opened up a case against her and she had the audacity to tell me she did not appreciate this case against her because it was affecting her rep on eBay. Well I had sent her 3 notifications to pay her bill but never heard from her until I opened the case.

Needless to say, I have started putting in my listing for only serious buyers to bid since there has been a problem with too many unpaid auctions. If there is a problem people should have the consideration to contact the seller and explain their situation and whether they are going to pay or not. I would be more open to that then just not paying.

Overall, I love eBay and have had success with it and will probably stay there for longer.

5. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    I used to sell on eBay and I really enjoyed it. Then I stopped selling for a few years and went back to it. I still liked selling, but it just really turned into a hassle. I maintained excellent feedback but with eBay's "the customer is always right" policy, I gave up selling because I was afraid of getting a buyer (scammer) who would keep my item and expect a refund too. I guess I read too many horror stories on the eBay forums and I just decided that it wasn't worth it.for me I wish it wasn't that way because I really liked selling on the site.

I've bought some items from eBay too and have always had good luck with my purchases. I always read the sellers feedback first before I buy anything and if anything seems sketchy, I move on to a different seller.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I was also scared off from selling on eBay for a while, due to the company leaning away from seller, in favor of often scammer buyers. I have had several issues with non-paying bidders, but I sell there so infrequently that I don't remember how to handle the situations when they arise. I did file a non-paying bidder claim against this buyer yesterday, but haven't heard anything back from them, and haven't received payment.

When I look at the information about Second Chance Offers, it seems to only cover instances where a person has multiples for sale, not just the one auction which ended with a non-paying bidder, so I guess I'll have to look into that more. I should be able to offer the item to the next highest bidder, but the problem is that by the time that happens, so much time will have passed that s/he will probably have purchased a different one, so my time and money will have been tied up and possibly lost, all due to a deadbeat bidder.

@Lushlala@Lushlala I agree, they do take a lot of money, which is why I tend to sell elsewhere on a regular basis. eBay really does seem to be the best place to sell certain items, though, so I do list a few items there from time to time.

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I regularly buy on ebay and I've found that often buyers will bid an insane amount on items just so they don't lose them - even past the buy it now price - and then they don't pay and I end up getting a second chance offer sometimes because they never paid. I don't understand why you'd bother to bid on an item if you've got no intention of paying, though. Sure, we all forget about it from time to time, or for whatever reason can't get back to the site in time to pay, but that seems to happen too often for it to be a coincidence it keeps happening.

I've also found as a buyer that I've often already bought the item by the time I get a second chance offer on something so usually have to turn it down, and kick myself because I ended up paying more. Its frustrating. I think ebay should perhaps make it so that if a buyer wins an auction the money is automatically taken from their account rather than the buyer having to then come back and pay manually. It'd stop the buyers that are just wasting people's time that way.

8. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    I've only had good experiences on ebay, but only buying so far. It is so geared to the buyers advantage that I'm hesitant to sell through it. I am noticing a trend of ebay having higher prices to varying degrees than other more specialized stores, but there are still deals to be had.

9. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had an offer declined, but I've never asked any less than 50 cents under the asking price. They were also all small things though. My biggest problems is having things lost in customs that I've ordered from over seas. Mostly, from China. I've always gotten my money back but it still stinks because after waiting for two months only to ask for a refund, but I've never had a problem with a refund.

Another problem I've had is things not being like look in the picture. I ordered some mirror stickers, I was given he impression they were very thick stickers that reflected like a real mirror. They turned out to be paper thin and ripped easily and produced a very, VERY distorted reflection. Nothing like the picture and had a very misleading description. I didn't ask for a refund because at the end of the day I only spent a few bucks on a dozen of them. I did leave a bad review to let other buyers know and will never buy from them again.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have had some pretty terrible experiences with Ebay, but I do not really hold anything against the site or anything like that, and I just chalk it up to my lack of effort and general complacency with what I have. I tried selling some items that I thought were worth a lot, but I had trouble setting the price and it just turned into a nightmare. With buying too I have had some items come in different and been charged wrong. I would just say to anyone considering it, just be smart and do your research beforehand.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only bought items on Ebay, and most of the time the transactions were smooth and I'm satisfied with the product. There were times when the item was not sent or the items arrived not as described, so in those times I tried to file for a dispute and I was mostly successful, but on the times that the dispute time frame has expired then I wasn't able to get my money back anymore.

12. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That's an interesting idea, having the money come right out of their account once they've made a successful auction ending bid or sued Buy It Now. I doubt eBay would ever enact it, but that would definitely add confidence. I opened the suit after giving the seller several days to pay, so my item is off the shelf for the big holiday weekend when I might have had a successful sale. Also, this non-paying bidder bid several times, lost it to others, then bid again at the end, so he knew full well what he was doing. After filing the action/opening the case against him, it came to light that he has received feedback from a seller since then, which usually means he just purchased something else, and paid right away, so it's not as if he's been in a car accident and killed or unconscious in the hospital.

He knowingly broke the sale contract, and eBay refused to close the action I filed against him, meaning I have to sit here until next week, when the action time period closes, while he's active on the site, off buying other items. I'm definitely not happy with how eBay is handling the situation, and I let them know. They really don't seem to care, though, since they have lost many good sellers over the years due to their policies. I suppose there are 100 more in China to take our places, and the money they make off of them spends the same as ours.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have made maybe three or four purchases on eBay in my life, so I do not have that much to go from. However, every time I find something I made sure to buy from reputable and good rating sellers. I did not have a problem with any of my purchases, but I still am A little afraid to buy from them because of some stories that I hear.

14. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    I can't complain about my experience with Ebay as a buyer: as long as you buy from certified sellers with an Ebay store and an high positive feedback rating, you should be safe. Of course you will find better deals from new sellers since they need to build a reputation, but there is a larger risk involved.

However I really hate the auction and bidding system: you have a really tiny chance to find great deals, but usually it's a waste of time. It was a nice idea at the start, but its execution was terrible and as OP said even good offers get turned down without apparent reason. If you want to shop on Ebay only use the "Buy now" option and you will avoid unpleasant surprises.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very seldom sell on ebay; but I do like to shop there, and have found some excellent deals there. I always check both Amazon and Ebay; bcause sometime it is jusst as cheap on Amazon, and no shipping charge with Prime.
    I do like the make offer option, and i have had good luck with doing that.
    I do usually make a low ofer at firt, and then the seller will uually make an offer back; whic I then accept if it is reasonable. I seldom (if ever) have had a seller turn me down and not make a counter-offer; so i amm surprised that other have had thiss happen to them.
    I also "watch" items; because sometimes, they do not sell the first time, and they are relisted at a lower price, and then I can get the item cheaper.

16. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I love eBay and almost never had any bad experiences. I think it mainly relates to the fact that I usually check out the sellers' ratings and decide whether I want to sell, also based on the feedback of other buyers. Also, make sure to save all the things you want to buy in a wishlist because very often, the prices tend to fluctuate and you can save some money by doing so.

17. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a lot of good experiences buying things from people on the site, but have not had so much luck selling things. It is almost not worth it unless you have something really valuable to sell. Buyers do not want to pay anything for normal products or things you have just not used before. The item has to be high in demand in order for it to sell.

18. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    I have made about thirty purchases on Ebay over the years and they have gone relatively smoothly although my highest purchase was only in the $150 range. Ebay is still an important outlet to find the one-off items such as what one would look for to complete a collection or to get a good deal on a used/refurbished item. Other than items that fall in those categories, Ebay has fallen behind Amazon for more general merchandise purchases.

19. cecejailer

cecejailerMember

Threads:
    Most of my eBay experiences have been good, specially for the price I usually pay for my items. It took me a long time to realize that you can't just buy the cheapest thing you see, you have to read reviews about the seller and the specifications about the item. I've bought a skirt on eBay once that turned out to be the ugliest thing ever, but I've also bought party dresses that we're better than the ones I have bought offline.

20. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I had another iffy selling experience on there recently. It seemed the buyer was going to turn out to be another deadbeat, but he eventually paid, probably after additional prompting from eBay, because he didn't respond to their first notice, nor mine. That type of behavior makes me leery because I worry the person is going to claim s/he didn't receive the package, or that the item was damaged, or not as described. I packed it really well, and purchased insurance, just to cover my behind. Purchasing insurance seems to give sellers a leg up if there's a problem on the delivery end.

I've also had 3 negative purchasing experiences in a row on the site. 3 of the last several items I've purchased were not as described. The quality was much lower than pictured/described, and in two cases, the items didn't fit, so I couldn't use any of them for their described purposes. I will probably live with the screen protector, since although the openings weren't exactly where they should have been, I can cut it and it will work, but the plug I bought doesn't fit my cord, so I started a return on that item, as well as on the one where the quality was basically crap.