eBay or Amazon?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by jilliansorenson • May 19, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried to sell on either sites but I have bought items from both. I prefer buying from amazon because of their guarantee policy. Some of the deals may not be as cheap as eBay but in the long run you do have peace of mind. I've also experienced that amazon sellers tend not to exaggerate when it comes to the condition of their products especially the 2nd had ones, for eBay sellers they do.

2. kad613

kad613New Member

Threads:
    I love Amazon and that's probably because I'm more familiar with it. They have good products, great prices and if you are unhappy with the product, you can just return it. I like how they have deals weekly and you can buy something you want for a cheap price. You can also put up a wish list for Christmas so family can buy gifts that you actually want.

3. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    I gave up on eBay years ago and haven't regretted it. Amazon is it for me. Before I make any purchase (except for groceries), I check on Amazon first. This site has done more for my budget than I can put into words. I also sell there as well, and although I don't do the volume that I did on eBay, for me it's a much simpler, easier experience. If they could come up with a PayPal competitor, I'd be in heaven.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've shopped on both sites and do some occasional selling on Amazon. I mostly get books on Amazon and have always had a great experience with them. I also sell books from time on Amazon and also have never had an issues with that as well. With Ebay, I have purchased a "refurbished" cell phone that didn't work which was frustrating but they were very professional with helping to resolve the situation.

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Ebay sellers will sell you stuff and claim it has been inspected before sending. But in reality, that's not true. Mostly with PC's in this case. I will still buy many things from ebay. But I currently am looking at getting a PC from there with Windows 7 installed. But will only get one from a reputable seller like Tiger direct on ebay or someone like that.

6. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not surprised that everyone picked Amazon. I'd like to second that notion. I always have really good experiences with Amazon. The merchandise comes quickly and as described (even when I buy from various sellers). If for any reason a buyer is unsatisfied, they can leave a low review and report the seller to Amazon. The buyer is refunded. Sellers really don't want a negative review because it would keep others from buying from them.

#46Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    So I had a funny experience with ebay this morning. A cool, black Gateway desktop PC bundle I was bidding on got cancelled by the seller. The whole auction was cancelled lol! It was a Gateway DX series, with windows 7, a webcam, dust covers, a mouse, keyboard, and 23 inch flat screen monitor.

My high bid was $80. But I was actually gonna get it for $66 because the highest bid of the last bidder was $65. So two days prior to the auction ending, the seller cancels it! Apparently, he was hoping a bidding war would break out. And it didn't. So it was looking like I was gonna get all that good stuff for just $66 in coin! Per ebay rules, you can cancel an auction as long as it's before the 12 hour mark of its conclusion. But still, what a douchey thing to do. Auctions are supposed to sell an item at whatever it's bid at. So if it sells low or high still, grownups don't just cancel the item altogether. Sheesh. :eek:

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The seller is a moron. Bidding wars can happen during the last day of an auction. That other guy would have probably raised his high bid to $200 during the last 12 hours of the auction.
    To cancel it 2 days before the auction end was a rookie mistake because there were probably people waiting until the last day to bid.
    Anyway, it is douchey to cancel an auction just because the bidding didn't go the way you'd hoped. That's the nature of eBay, you can't control the bidding.

9. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah last day bidding usually freaks me out lol. You think you have something locked up for $500. Or so you think, until with like 2 minutes left someone goes $550 or $575. Then you have a small window to ponder upping your bid or backing out. I think he wanted somewhere in the high 900 or lower thousands for his item. I've seen systems going for that high, but brand new not used. And mostly alienware.

10. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I prefer eBay, but probably because I had spent so much time there compared to Amazon. It's true that you have to be careful with picking sellers, because there's a risk of you receiving defective goods. I've never tried Amazon, but I do know that it's a very popular site. Perhaps I might give it a try soon.

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Amazon's prices are way too high. They have for example systems with Windows 8 going for $500 and over. Dell's for example. As many complaints as people have had with Dell comps, $500? Plus Windows 8 which most folks seem to hate? No thanks.

12. Whitney

WhitneyNew Member

Threads:
    I have bought from both and sold on Ebay a few years ago. I would say they are both great sites to shop, however some sellers on Ebay can be questionable. Amazon in terms of reputation and range of products are top notch. I mostly shop there, however I am in their associates program and I am not even sure how that all works yet. Given that my income was reduced big time last year when certain things happened in life I have not shopped there for a while. But Amazon are the cheapest place I have found to buy new DVDs that have just been released.

13. jericjames10

jericjames10Member

Threads:
    Ebay is a site where you almost always have to bid or use a PayPal account, which most people dont. Amazon, you dont need to out bid people ever. I would say go with Amazon as your main out of the two.
    So, it really depends.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Canadian Amazon isn't as good as the American yet, so I prefer Ebay still. I do like that you don't need to bid on Amazon, but on Ebay, sometimes you get an amazing deal because of it. I mainly use Amazon for books still.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I made my first purchase on Amazon for a long time and I was relatively satisfied with the service, although I noticed they have changed their delivery options and you have to spend more for free delivery. That was disappointing because the cost of delivery adds up when you are making multiple purchases over a period of months.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have started preferring Amazon more because more and more of my items are not arriving, I don't know if I am dealing with more thieves or if they are legitimately getting lost as the sellers try and save money by sending items second class post.

17. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a big fan of Ebay but they seem to change their rules that often they get on my nerves, so I have started to shop and sell much more these days through Amazon. I think they will both always stay pretty big though.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought anything from ebay in ages. There's a an African soap I like and the best deal I have found on it has always been on ebay. Usually when I shop online I'm buying books, CDs, or DVDs and those usually come from Amazon. It's so convenient to order from Amazon and there's the option of buying things used at a cheaper price.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do prefer amazon...perhaps mainly because I'm more familiar with it, and it makes me feel more comfortable. I also have amazon prime so there are a lot of good deals on there made even better by the free 2 day shipping. I'm getting more open to ebay, though, for some things...there are some great prices but great deals are a bit harder to find.

20. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Neither of them is available in my country. So, I will have to stick to Flipkart for a while for all my online shopping.